Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for JetForums

Sailing Question

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by pamibach, Jun 5, 2017.

1. pamibach

pamibach Member

We have a fairly large lake on the ranch; 550 acres, we water ski, fish on it, my kids want to buy either sunfish sailboats or hobie cats to learn to sail. Is this a good idea for eventual blue ocean sailing?
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, why not. Have a look at Lasers too...
    AnotherKen likes this.
  3. bliss

bliss Senior Member

What is your definition of blue water? What would be the next stop on your journey when you leave the lake? That's how our family started. I bought two Sunfish and a trailer that carried both. It was a lot of fun for all. As time went by and the kids grew one stayed with boating; mostly fishing. the other two not into it. I've owned a few sailboats - the last was 42 feet. I switched to power years ago and have throughly enjoyed it too. As to preparing for blue water, starting with unforgiving small sailboats is, in my opinion, the way to go. They are very quick to punish mistakes; you go swimming! Over the years I've seen enough people with full wallets and big boats make bad and painful mistakes largely because of lack of training, practice and experience. Add the inability to swallow their pride and ask questions before untying lines ----- etc., etc. HAVE FUN!
  4. bliss

bliss Senior Member

Yes, Lasers as well. They will punish you quicker than a Sunfish!!! Aw, memories. My early experience included a very windy first time out on a Laser. Sail a hundred yards, go swimming again and again. By the end of the day I had a sunburn and could sail a Laser.
  5. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I learned on a Nacra 5.2. Fast and fun.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Lasers are a lot of fun but pretty much a one person boat.

If you want to use the boat with someone else you can't beat a hobie 16...
  7. pamibach

pamibach Member

Thank you all, now to keep them off the lake and focused on chores
  8. Perlmudder

Perlmudder Member

I learned to sail on a sunfish. When I was young, we would fit three of us on there and cruise around our bay. Eventually stepped up to lasers and hobie cats. If you are looking for a true beginner boat for younger kids, it is hard to beat a sunfish. They are forgiving, simple to rig, and can carry a few children.

Depending on the size of the children, my yacht club uses a lot of Optis and Open Bic's for the small children in classes.
  9. pamibach

pamibach Member

y'all are great! thank you
  10. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

Ditto on the Hobie
  11. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Small boats are the way to learn,..absolutely.

Now when you move up to a small catamaran take a look around for a Prindle cat rather than a Hobie....much better boat
  12. GhostriderIII

GhostriderIII Senior Member

13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

A prindle may be a handful for kids. A hobie getaway is perfect for kids... easier to sail, can carry a load, forgiving and more comfy with the outriggers
  14. bliss

bliss Senior Member

Don't buy what you can't sell. Is there a local fleet or a particular boat that is popular in your area? If so, they could represent ready buyers when needed.