Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Cross

SaFe yacht concept

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by SVDesign, Sep 14, 2008.

1. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

2. Brian

Brian Senior Member

Instead of hot water, how about grey, black or blige water?!
    That would keep me away!
  3. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

:D

Imagine the crew afterwards, to clean up the teak of decks........ :eek: :eek: :eek:
  4. SAB

SAB New Member

My choice for cruising off PIW (pirate infested waters):

Boat: Wally Power (any size, speed min 20knots+) custom version with some extra armor plating and glass. A custom reverse stern design to make boarding harder; The Wally styling has inherently good low radar cross section.

Defences: stabilised lightweight remote 0.5cal machine gun (two aft, one fwd) with associated electro optical directors.
    LRAD long range acoustic device (for initial warnings )
  5. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

RCS effective windows are very heavy, very similar to armoured windows.
    Wally design using this reflective glass type would be very difficult to elaborate for weight and stability aspects, unfortunately.

Experience in pirate actions shows that speed is not really effective : pirates speed boats will go over 20kts easily, excepted if the sea if rough, in which case planning hull like Wally's will face the same trouble to reach 20kts.

High freeboard heigh is not solving the question when you see they climb on big cargo ships with apparently no problem.... :(

The compromise is really not easy to find.... except the submarine conf.... :rolleyes:
  6. brunick

brunick Senior Member

my choice: TWINE - i guess, when that engine fires up, thoose speedboats would sink in the aft waters :D:D
  7. BjornS

BjornS New Member

Larger superyachts with bullet and shatter proof/resistant glass should not have that problem because of the overall size/weight. And if security is at the forefront the window panes or window surfaces probably would have to be smaller. Less natural light inside, but more secure.

That the pirates have a relative easy access to large tankers and cargo ships may be due to the fact that many of those have built in ladders or steps onto the hull itself. Easy to approach and climb up if initially not detected.

One way to deter entry onto yachts/superyachts is to design taller freeboard height overall, and leave out the easy to enter areas, such as built in stern platforms with easy access steps.

I have always found it amazing that owners want such open plans to the sea or to the surroundings with the obvious lack of natural built-in security. I understand the implication of wanting easy access to the elements, but it also provides a fantastic easy access for intruders as well. And such open stern platforms need 'guards' present 24/7. A camera security system alone will not prevent someone or a group from just jumping on board. Whatever their intentions are.

Just reading about world events these days that seems to escalate, security - and the design of such - will be more and more important. I think.

Bjorn
  8. SAB

SAB New Member

I wonder if the MLG 27mm could be seen to be more offensive rather than defensive? It's got some serious capability:

- small, highly agile surface targets at ranges of up 2,500 metres
    - helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft at ranges of up to 2,500 metres
    - onshore targets (armoured vehicles, snipers) at ranges of up to 4,000metres
    - warships at ranges of up to 4,000 metres
    :eek:
  9. BjornS

BjornS New Member

That seems like an effective "soft" defensive tool. Sort of like throwing boiling water from afar without the serious damage. Maybe this is a scaled down neutron bomb ... sort of. But very directional.

I wonder though if the Active Denial System would require a very stable vessel and/or guidance system to pin-point the soft target(s) and keep it steady while activated? And how wide a beam would it give out?

I say - arm the vessels from stern to bow and let the mayhem against the pirates, criminals and terrorists begin. :D

Bjorn
  10. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

I knew 27mm gun capability when I put it on board.
    This is part of Baynunah armament, the grey ship I'm working on, and of course it has serious offensive potential.

Active Denial System is working like microwave oven, with wavelength able to create highly painful stress on the skin of its target. Nobody know its effects on long term.... and I would not be part of volunteers for trials !!!

Don't worry about guidance systems. There are a lot of naval gadgets which will do the job for you in a way you cannot really imagine about accuracy.