Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno

SaFe yacht concept

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by SVDesign, Sep 14, 2008.

1. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

Hearing here and there pirate acting, including ashore of Corsica this summer, I elaborated something to balance chances of escape in case of identified attack attempt.

The result is this white yacht, more or less sexy depending on points of view, fitted with different gadgets which could help successfull escape and preservation of the crew.

It is the first result of brainstorming, and ideas shown there could be of course used again with better integration on another more "classical" yacht.

Your comments are welcome ;)

[​IMG]

SAFE Concept

Length: 55m

Objectives : protection of the crew in case of pirate attack.

Design

• Steel building
    • Semi-stealth design in order to reduce radar signature
    • Armourded windows for wheelhouse and deck passages
    • Armoured sliding shutters for aft deck protection
    • Removable cover on RIB/Jacuzzi location
    • Secret weapon : hot water spraying system (75°C) on external deck, based on NBC decontamination system, to repell pirates if they try to force shutters. This is also MARPOL compliant :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Protection Activated

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

with RIB shelter folded

[​IMG]
  2. Sander

Sander New Member

Very nice design, nice thinking of the anti-pirate usage.

What software do you use to create such a design?
  3. marco.sargentin

marco.sargentin New Member

Great!!!! very amazing... Compliments!!!:eek:
  4. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

I'm currently using Naval Designer for hull shape and preliminary hydrostatics, and then I'm doing all 3D job and renders using an old version of Rhino (v 3.0).
    I'm looking for buying the latest release v 4.0 which has interesting improvements for modelling.

60% of time for modelling, 40% of time for rendering (scene, lighting, materials,...). This one is easy : only white, stainless steel and teak wood !
  5. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

[​IMG]
  6. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

How about SKAT?

I have to say I’d rather go with an “armored” version of Lurssen’s SKAT (Yachtforums - SKAT) built back in 2002. SKAT is longer at 71 meters and tucks the tenders in the hull keeping the foredeck clear for work and eliminates the need for a retractable garage. The added length should provide a better top speed and the increased heft will do more damage if the opportunity to "bump" another boat presents itself. She already has the look to scare off an intruder as Carl (YachtForums) stated,
    I can understand how some would dislike the appearance, i.e., the battleship theme, but I think the design is an ingenious ploy. In the Caribbean and on high seas around the world, there have been reports over the years of piracy, but with Skat... no pirate in his right mind would consider an attempt on this boat! (Post #10 of the above thread).​

In terms of this design, a thought would be to either minimize the wide open swim platform or design a folding door/platform for the transom. SKAT has a minimal swim platform and a “high wall” with locked hatches versus your SaFe design which has a nice, deep platform to jump to from a tender. Hot water not withstanding, if you are trying to prevent piracy, do not even give them place to get on board.
  7. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

I've seen Skat with my eyes. No need to be engineer to see this is not a naval ship, frankly speaking. No big radar dome or funny antenna, no clear decks fwd nor aft as you can see on real "stealth" ships, no gun.
    Appearance is not doing the job, except this naval grey paint which is too much clean. The bow is typically not naval, if there is only one aspect to consider.

I agree with the swim platform which is not appropriate to this purpose on SaFe. I tried something different but the render was not good and I recycled it into something out of purpose. I will try harder.

I would try also with a more rounded shape that this Marine soldier into dinner suit, if I could describe the ship as I feel... If I had painted it grey, everybody would have jumped on me shouting 'Skat !' True ? :p
  8. Coenharbour

Coenharbour Senior Member

The hot water spraying system (75°C) seems a good idea.
    Are there allready yachts who use this kind of systems?
  9. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

10. 'RoundTheHorn

I believe that the average person certainly does not look at SKAT and think it's just another yacht. It is too different from the standard white yachts people expect. As for yacht folks, George L. Petrie wrote for Power & Motoryacht, "Angular and finished in pale gray, Skat presents an almost military bearing, even to the point of having her Lürssen project number, 9906, painted on the hull in bold battleship-style block lettering." And, as I quoted our founder Carl ealier, it's about "the battleship theme" and not about copying a design right from a navy shipyard. SKAT has the look of something that could be in somebody's navy, but certainly not somebody's yacht club. And that's is the point...build something that gives predators a reason to pause. Especially from a distance. Someone concerned with piracy may wish to make their vessel look a little less appealing. What could be a tempting target of cash and electronics on radar or off on the horizon suddenly, as one gets closer in a little black RIB, looks instead like a government vessel probably carrying plently of trained sailors with lots of weapons. And that may make pirates turn back before they get close enough to figure out what they really have. Again, like the swim platform, keeping them off the boat in the first place is probably more important than dealing with them on the boat.

Actually the way the design was rendered I thought it was gray until Post number 4 when you wrote, "only white, stainless steel and teak wood".

And in terms of similar looking yachts I would have to give that to the 45 meter McMullen & Wing project Big Fish. See the drawing at http://www.mcmullenandwing.com/BFpress_release_0807.htm. They seem to share a similar profile.
  11. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

I've just looked at ADS system - looks efficient, but..... I don't like offensive things. It always increases the risk of strike back, and for ADS this looks also very on the edge with health effects and other Genova convention aspects.

I was thinking about hot water because it is very simple technology, popping-up nozzles and boilers are available on the market.
    It is only reliable piping technics !

To reply to 'roundthehorn, I agree that Skat can be impressive, but when you see the ship at horizon the profile is much more significant than grey colour, and definitively Skat has a yacht profile. I agree with you 100% when you say that this ship is not an usual yacht because its philosophy is not common in yachting world, but that's all from my point of view. The 'naval' angular style is not effective against radar signature, and for me this is only 'tunning' the look to something which doesn't have the capability it is showing off.

Pirates are not stupid - I personnally think they are smarter than a lot of people, because they succeed where reasonable people would not try. Today naval authorities think they are operating from mother ship, able to launch and recover fast attack boats when they identified an interesting ship to pirate.
    When you see a small black RIB and a guy popping up with a RPG, it means that you have been seen, analyzed and then estimated interesting. Bluff is not working anymore in that case.

Latest pirate attack this week was done in Indian Ocean, at 800 km from Somalia coasts, even closer to Seychelles islands than Africa. They tried to catch a big french tunafish boat, which escaped thanks to its speed against rougth sea. 3 rockets have been fired, and one hit the ship with no casualties hopefully.

I can estimate that my SaFe thing would have a similar radar signature than a 15m-trawler with its shutters down. Enough to cruise incognito if you have suspicion of pirates in the neighborhood.

I will make a render in naval mat grey tonight, to see how it looks afterwards. This could be funny :rolleyes:

For information, I'm in charge of design coordination on Baynunah program
    More information here -->http://www.cmn-group.com/pageLibre000107f3.html
    and there --> http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/baynunah/

Even painted in white, you would not try to jump aboard - trust me !
    Big mast, missile launcher and main gun are visible to everybody from long distance.
  12. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

13. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

I'm looking for...... but for time being I found none.
    If somebody has information, I'm interested of course !
  14. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

If such a system were in place, I'd be a bit surprised if those in-the-know would openly discuss the details here in a public forum. ;)
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

There are a few of the bigger yachts with some pretty impressive water canons that spray lots of H.P. Sea Water. I have not heard of any spraying hot water, the quantities needed would be large and there would not be the room on many boats for the insulated tanks to keep it all or the spare power ( fuel) to heat it all continually for when it might be needed.
  16. Coenharbour

Coenharbour Senior Member

Thanks K1W1, That was all I want to know.

@ Kevin: I was only wondering if this kind of systems are allready used by yachts.
    Off course I didn't ask which yachts use what kind of security systems.;)
  17. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

In my mind, no need for big quantities of hot water. With a slightly increased capacity of heaters for sanitary use, you have a good capacity to be sprayed, not continuously, but locally and for short time only when somebody is on the deck trying to force a door or a shutter.
    Big water canons are also a good alternative as 'soft' methods.
  18. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

They don't have to be there long to force a door or damage the spray nozzles with a 30 Calibre Machine gun firing anything hard. ( AK 47, The favourite weapon of many fires 7.62 x 39mm Rounds also known as short .308's, SLR and FN Rifles which used to be standard issue for many Armies are all over Africa from previous attempts at colonization and use full length .308's)

Hot Water will cool at an amazing rate when sprayed through the air so the effective range would be seriously limited.
  19. 'RoundTheHorn

Then again if you are dealing with pirates with rocket propelled grenades, I would be interested in seeing more about the level of armor you are proposing to be effective against RPGs and automatic weapons fire and what this weight will do the vessel's handling.

Again there is the need to qualify who potential predators are and how motivated they are to succeed. Obviously there are seriously prepared and organized groups which will take down anything short of a surface warfare vessel. If you think your design is going to protect you from these types of pirates, then I would wish you well on your shakedown cruise around Somalia and Eritrea. However, just as on land, there are different types of crimes and different types of criminals. Crimes of convenience are most often committed because of a lack of preparation by the victim. Unlocked doors or open garages and windows at the home. Unlocked doors and valuables in plain sight in vehicles. The victim should almost take the blame for leaving themselves vulnerable. Casual criminals will find these easy targets. When a car prowler moves through a parking lot at the mall, he is looking for an easy mark, not a locked up car with nothing to catch his eye. The homeowner who secures windows and doors, uses outside lights judiciously to deprive burglars of shadows to work, and perhaps subscribes to a monitoring security system (and posts warning signs) will usually find they will not be a first choice of a casual criminal or even the “professional” one. The smart ones also know the targets NOT to try.

Bluffing does have its purpose and in many cases it will work. But if you are going to place your multimillion dollar vessel, family and crew in the way of such trained and professional pirates, I don’t think you will be too successful with anything less than a destroyer. And I hope your crew will be trained to handle the situation which can make all the difference between a rather simple armed robbery and a hostage situation or worse, a murder. I would prefer to keep things secured and project the proper image that keeps the little guys away from the boat in the first place, and not even enter areas where pirates with RPGs are roaming for targets.
  20. SVDesign

SVDesign New Member

Yes ! Agreed :) RPG is too much for simple protection.
    A working one looks like complete barbecue grids fitted all around the object you want to protect, like battle tanks or trucks we can see everywhere on modern war pictures. Not practicable at all on leisure boat...

On the other hand, composite panels are able to catch bullets, including AK47. I'm well placed to know how efficient they are. This is much lighter than heavy steel plates, and relatively easy to install.

Here is the grey one....

[​IMG]

First step : close everything

[​IMG]

Second step : oopss...... there is a MLG 27mm naval gun in there....:eek:

[​IMG]

But we are going far from initial thinking there....