Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Westport

Russian Oligarch Yachts; Ukrainian Solution

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by amuskett, Feb 25, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

France has seized a yacht owned by Russian oligarch Igor Sechin, the French finance ministry said in a statement on Thursday.

Sechin is the CEO of Russian oil giant Rosneft. The European Union sanctioned Sechin earlier this week, describing him as one of Russian President Vladimir Putin's "most trusted and closest advisors, as well as his personal friend."

The yacht, named "Amore Vero" — or "True Love" in Italian — arrived at the French Mediterranean port of La Ciotat in January. It was scheduled to leave the port on April 1.
    Kevin likes this.
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

He has also served as Deputy Prime Minister. Definitely a key cabinet member over the years, both official and unofficial.
  3. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

The timing might be a coincidence, but also this afternoon:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/worl...elling-putin-to-end-war-in-ukraine/ar-AAUzmfN

4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Putin is in for the money but mostly ideology. The oligarchs are in only for the money. they didn’t expect the level of sanctions they ll be hit with and are going to turn on Putin. Or negotiate an exile in a friendly country like China. Wouldnt surprise me. I doubt that sanctions will go away even if there was a cease fire and a withdrawal

Just read that the west coast longshoremen union has announced they will not load or unload any Russian ship.
    LauderdaleMY likes this.
  5. amuskett

amuskett New Member

For those of you with big boats or experience with them--what is involved in the daily care and feeding of an impounded 500 foot yacht?
  6. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

A lot more than I suspect any of these governments are going to be willing to spend. Historically, arrested boats are left with little to no crew to maintain them on a shoestring budget. These boats are currently assets, but will quickly become liabilities to the countries seizing them.
    LauderdaleMY and rocdiver like this.
  7. Glenn Ashmore

Glenn Ashmore New Member

It has been reported that a number of Russian owned yachts are headed for the Maldives in the Indian Ocean as it does not have any extradition or other treaties that might threaten empoundment.
  8. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

The local government of Hamburg used a nice trick with the yacht Dilbar. The Yacht is not confiscated, she is just not allowed to leave the harbour. Which means, no liabilitiy for the local government and the owner has to pay for everything, including the harbour fee :). I love it!
    LauderdaleMY, leeky and Maritna_ra like this.
  9. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

So what happens at 3am when she decides to "make a run for the border" ?
    Do they have her blocked in somehow?
  10. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

She won't be able to make a run for the border. I can see the measurements being taken to arrest her from my office. She just sits on the other side of the Elbe river. Confiscating an asset icludes the transfer of liability, prohibiting the free use of an asset not.
  11. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Another Lurssen product blocking the way... grey and rhymes with "spigot", perhaps?
  12. Scott W

Scott W Senior Member

With the economic calamity unfolding in slow motion (but speeding up), at some point in the foreseeable future, we're likely going to find out what kind of control Putin - a career KGB officer - has on the military. Was he smart enough to surround himself with loyalists to the end? Putin waging war in Ukraine is an unspeakable horror. Russia descending into a failed state that is also home to 10K nuclear weapons could very easily be worse. What a mess.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

if I m not mistaken, after the fall of the Soviet Union Ukraine was pressured to give the left over soviet nukes to... Russia. In 93 or 94 the US, U.K., France and Russia signed and agreement with Ukraine pledging support in Exchange for them giving up the Soviet nukes. I think it was the Budapest Accords. Don’t have time to look it up. I vaguely recall the US extending the commitment to Ukraine around. 2010.

And now...
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Now I have to ask??? When Russia Falls/Fails/ Bankrupts/ Defaults/ Collapses and the government is ousted/ removed/ assassinated/ dissolved/ fails to exist, Is the UN going to go in and recover the country?
    Japan, Germany & South Korea were rebuilt..... Is this on the horizon? In anybody's view?
    What is the end game??
    Who wants this?
    Or, is this in his (Putin) plan? Save a falling nation....
    It is obvious that the end of this nightmare involves Putin's removal/the governments removal or at least a new Russia cabinet and situ leader.
    Riots in Moscow are quickly cleaned up with a front end loader (watch Soylent Green), so I'm sure Some (most/All) Russia citizens are not for these actions.
    A mobile crematorium for their fallen solders? The Russian citizens may not know how badly their protest are needed.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
  15. Boatbuilder

Boatbuilder Member

Yes, that was the Budapest Accord, 1994. And I believe both Russia and the US guaranteed Ukraine’s borders.
  16. Scott W

Scott W Senior Member

Your description of the Budapest Memorandum is largely accurate. I'm not sure what was offered in 2010. Unfortunately, in both instances, the respective Administrations never even attempted to memorialize these 'promises' in a more binding format, like a formal treaty which of course requires Congressional approval. Absent that ratification process, there's nothing legally binding future administrations to fulfill those promises. IOW, those agreements don't have a half-life that extends past the tenure of the president who negotiated them.

The takeaway from all this - presuming we get through the current crisis intact - is any future agreements with other countries will be exponentially harder strike. Countries will redouble their efforts to go nuclear and will never give them up once they do....like the DPRK.
  17. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

The proceeds from Abramovich's sale of Chelsea FC will go to a charity setup to help Ukrainian refugees:

https://www.si.com/soccer/chelsea/n...ent-as-roman-abramovich-puts-club-up-for-sale

The optimist in me applauds this decision, and I do hope it is sincere... (Full disclosure: I've long been a fan of Mr. Abramovich's taste in yachts.)
  18. Sea-Sovereign

Sea-Sovereign New Member

This world-wide Anglo-American knee-jerk response of these economic sanctions against Russia is going to present the developed world with a classic lesson in the laws of unintended consequences. In a year or so, I suspect many of us will look back on this time and realize just how damaging these reactions will have been to our industry and all our boating lives. Anybody smell a coming "Lehman Moment" in the air??? Buckle Up folks. Rough seas are in the forecast now.
    Reconjohnnie likes this.
  19. Maritna_ra

Maritna_ra Active Member

I found something weird...if I'm not wrong, in the US and in the UK there is a ban on Russians' jets and yachts, but...Eugene Shvidler's Jet took off from Teterboro, New Jersey and landed in Farnborough, GB after 5h50 :confused:

Another Russian oligarch's jet took off from Newburgh, landed in Costa Rica after 4h42min, then after a few hours he took off again and landed in New York after 4h.

So...basically, they keep doing what they want...
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    LauderdaleMY and Reconjohnnie like this.
  20. Sea-Sovereign

Sea-Sovereign New Member

The individual owner sanctions are specific to certain people presumed to be close to Putin or engaged in the military operations against Ukraine. These are NOT blanket sanctions of all Russians.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.