Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Burger

Russian Oligarch Yachts; Ukrainian Solution

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by amuskett, Feb 25, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slimshady

Slimshady Senior Member

War is chaotic and unpredictable. Once started it is very difficult to predict its impact and duration on everything and everyone. People in all industries are ducking their heads and trying to mitigate the damage, regardless of their personal beliefs. The yachting industry represents the cream on top and is the most conspicuous of them all. War is defined by collateral damage. We are all going to pay a price for this terrible fight. What parts for our boats will we discover are coming from this region directly or indirectly. I'd burn all my toys in a heartbeat if it would stop this senseless harming by others.
    Riknpat likes this.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's REAL easy. Build the Key stone pipeline, and also we have some of the largest oil reserves in the world (U.S.). Allow companies to pump our own oil out of the ground. In 40 years we probably won't even be using oil anymore and it will be surpassed with natural gas and solar.........why export billions of dollars a year to buy oil from other countries.
    Rerm and Scott W like this.
  3. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Quote from BI

"According to local media outlet Ultima Hora, the man in question is 55-year-old Ukrainian national Taras Ostapchuk, who had been the chief engineer on board Lady Anastasia for more than a decade. Ostapchuk told local reporters that the yacht was owned by the chief executive of a Russian military weapons company and that his actions had been triggered by footage of a Russian missile hitting apartments in Kyiv, Ukraine amid the ongoing conflict". It was reported that Ostapchuk opened several valves in the engine room of the boat that caused a leak and warned the crew to abandon the vessel. "I don't regret anything I've done," he told local reporters.

Attached Files:

LauderdaleMY likes this.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Exactly. We were a net energy exporter 2 years ago. Stopping Keystone, placing restrictions on drilling only enabled Russia to cash in on higher energy prices

and let’s not forget lifting sanctions to prevent the construction of Russia’s Nord 2 pipeline which had been approved by a non partisan vote in Congress!

mind boggling.
    Rerm and Scott W like this.
  5. Riknpat

Riknpat Senior Member

Ukrainians maintain a grim sense of humor through it all. British sources claim Lviv brewery Pravda has stopped bottling 'Pravda Craft Beer' and now bottles "Putin is a D**khead' Molotov Cocktails. A 'Do Not Drink' warning has been added to the label. The reverse label which used to list ingredients and a guarantee of purity now gives instructions for use.
  6. Scott W

Scott W Senior Member

Reuters is now reporting that Monaco "will also proceed with freezing assets and imposing sanctions on Russians in the wake of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, said a statement by the Monaco Royal Palace."

If you're working on a Russian yacht right now, I suspect this isn't the kind of adventure you signed up for.
  7. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

What's the difference between a dollar and a ruble?

A dollar.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

What kind of an engineer fail to scuttle the boat after being on board for 10 years ....
  9. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

I think you will see a lot of these yachts heading for safer harbor in countries they can buy.

Might be some good buying options coming up in the new boat market if you're brave enough?
  10. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Could be like a guy who bought a boat at government auction that had been used for drug runnning. He was stopped by the CG five times the first week he owned it.
  11. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

One issue that we don't yet know the impact of is Tier 2 suppliers. It's easy for a company to look and see if they have Tier 1 or direct suppliers in Russia or Ukraine. However, the German supplier they use may have outsourced a part or two to the area. All the major auto producers have operations in Russia.

VW is a good example. They've had to halt production in two plants due to problems getting parts from Ukraine, but they've also suspended shipping of cars to Russia.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yes, he knew how to really mess her up and sink her.
    It may have been more of a statement than his luv actually sinking. A good engineer would not really want his luv to really sink.

As upset with my boat, threatening to sink the B***h, I could never do it.
    However, I fear, Ole Bertie will be on the market soon.
  13. amuskett

amuskett New Member

There may not be a plethora of safe havens. With the Russian stock market closing, I imagine Vlad has blocked his oligarch buddies on his cellphone.
  14. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I'm starting to wonder if this conflict may affect our summer plans to head to the Mediterranean
  15. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It won’t be long before the oligarchs turn on Putin. They re not in their for the glory of mother Russia and certainly not for a return to hard core communism. They want the cleptocracy to continue so they can leave the good life. Take a away their mansions, condos, yachts and jets and they re going to get him out one way or another.

apparently the sanctions are also wrecking havoc on Russian airlines because of leasing company being unable to get paid.
    C team likes this.
  17. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

I agree Ken, and wonder what his future prospects in the industry might be? On the one hand, I applaud what he did, and would be tempted to hire him if I had a big boat. Would the insurance company allow it? Would a prudent Captain hire him?
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

10 years on the same yacht should prove he's a good engineer. Don't invade his homeland and all should be good.
    FlyingGolfer, Riknpat and Kevin like this.
  19. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

As long as you're not Russian, you're probably safe. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.