Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Mulder

Running from Marathon to Palm Beach.... Suggestions

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by PSW, Nov 4, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Usually if you check the timing of the bridges you can adjust your speed so you don't have to wait. They are pretty well synchronized and with a 40 footer you should be able to clear many of them anyway.

No need to overthink this, it s an easy run. If the weather is good run hawks then along the coast within a mile... if it s too rough run inside.
  2. PSW

PSW Member

Watching the weather closely and based on a lot of the recent contributions hoping to be able to run the outside. Also communicating with CaptJ on contingency plans. Appreciate all the help and intel guys. Wish I was retired and had more time to enjoy SE Florida waters but that is just not a reality at this time.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah Angelfish creek. It's deep inside, it's just the entrances that are shallow, but I've taken 5' of draft through there at hull speed without a problem.

Also can run West side of the Keys all of the way up from Marathon in a 40' Cabo and skip Hawk's channel if it's blowing, I didn't think of that till now as I'm usually running larger boats. You can run at cruise all of the way to Downtown Miami, with the exception of about a mile of idle speed zones on the West side.

The bridges are all on a schedule and staggered, if you do 6-8.5 knots between them, you'll make every single one of them on time. I just did it in a 98' Benetti from Port Everglades to NPB.
  4. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

just curios where are you shipping your boat to
  5. PSW

PSW Member

Victoria BC

Once offloaded I will clear customs and bring back into the US. I have a Boathouse in Everett WA which is about 30 miles North of Seattle. The additional beam of the Cabo will require a new door and removal of the posts with some engineering necessary to compensate for removal of posts. Not too difficult but it will be some work in the evenings and weekends until the boat arrives once I return from FL. There is an equipment room and finished loft upstairs as well. Really love the building and the Cabo should fit perfect once the modifications have been completed.

20161022_111142 (Medium).jpg
  6. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Nice boathouse. I'm jealous.
  7. PSW

PSW Member

And the adventure begins. Bags are checked and loaded to 50lbs each with boat stuff. Cabin doors are secure and wheels up. Gotta love red eye flights. Have spares in Lauderdale awaiting pickup upon arrival. Grab the rental car hit up Costco then Boaters Wharehouse and head to Marathon. Spend Sunday getting to know my new best friend and run the Ocean to Lauderdale Monday. Going to Pipewelders to to await transport for the week and have them fab up a few little ideas and prep boat. As transport gets closer will run to Palm Beach a day ahead of loading. So many variables and firsts to encounter over the next few days. A big thanks to CaptJ for all the PMs and rookie questions answered. Look forward to meeting him and picking his brain further while in Lauderdale.
  8. PSW

PSW Member

20161112_184144-2016x1512.jpg 20161113_131751-2016x1512.jpg

Well we are getting there. Spent yesterday grabbing some stuff in Lauderdale. The West Marine in Lauderdale was super cool. Boat Owners Wharehouse was neat as well. Grabbed some MAN spares thanks to Aldolfo marine. The Costco in Davie was quite the change of pace for a Costco.

Made way to Marathon late afternoon and started cleaning the interior and becoming aquainted with my new girl until midnight. Woke up this am and grabbed a few items at Winn Dixie. Spent a couple hours with boats caretaker going over things and topped of fuel. Got the hang of handling in marina. Said hello to previous owners for about 10 min and started getting things ready for the run tomorrow. Having some dinner in Marathon now while watching the game. Going to be a big day tomorrow.
  9. PSW

PSW Member

Well I figured I would close out the thread with a little update. The run up the coast on the outside went without issue and we ran to Port Everglades at 26-30knots. Once entering Port Everglades we navigated up the New River to Pipewelders which is about 7 miles from Inlet. After 4 bridge openings and a lot of twists we found the Megayacht and Sportfish mecca of the world. It was pretty cool. So many fantastic boats getting work done at various yards. Pipewelders had 3 Spencers in the water next to me which was cool. Pipewelders turned out to be a great place to keep the boat while awaiting my load date with Sevenstar. They did 3 small projects on the Cabo while the boat was there. After a few days of watching them work I flew home. Flew back to FL on a red eye 4 days later to move the boat up to Palm Beach. This time transiting the canal was a much more enjoyable experience as I knew what to expect and could enjoy the process. We made way in smooth water to Palm Beach with reservations set at Riviera Beach marina. Once at Riviera Beach we awaited our loading instructions and as luck would have it we were going to be one of the last boats to load. I spent the next 4 days in Rivera Beach working on the boat and making the best of the time on the new boat. The marina is quite nice but the area surrounding is not so we used Uber quite a bit to get around. Went by the Viking service center for something and that is quite a facility. Had some good meals on Singer Island in the evenings and thought Sailfish marina was pretty neat. Reminded me of Roche Harbor back home. Went to Palm Beach for lunch at CR Chicks and to see the area. Spent many a hour going over systems on the boat and fiddling with things. Did careful preparations to the boat for the long 3+ week journey ahead with all systems shutdown. Finally on the Friday after Thanksgiving we loaded onto Happy Dynamic. Once in the slings we were tendered back to Riviera Beach where we grabbed a ride back to the ship and saw the boat on deck which was very cool. Once I had triple checked everything I took my last Uber ride back to Lauderdale for the long flight home. Overall everything went well and now that I look back it was good to have that time getting to know the boat. I really enjoyed Florida. I have been using an AIS app on my phone and monitoring weather along the way. So far I could have left a wine glass on the counter and it would have been fine. We prepared for the worst and are hoping for the best. The toughest stretch of Ocean is yet ahead IMO between San Francisco and Cape Flattery at the NW tip of Washington state.

With everything on the boat in Off position I still could not get this little light. ?

Attached Files:

10. PSW

PSW Member

Some Addtl pics at Pipewelders and nearby.

Attached Files:

11. PSW

PSW Member

12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The box with the little light is the battery parallel box which bypasses all of the breakers etc.
  13. PSW

PSW Member

Will that little light drain the batteries over the course of 4 weeks?
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Old Heart Pathmaker battery combiner. Not latched or conducting.
    It's a micro LED that is still on. A micro (micro) draw of current.
    It's only drawing from one battery and 4 weeks should not be anything to worry about.
    Now, 4 years could be an issue.
  15. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

How about 4 score, Ralph?
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I was thinking the life of a regular battery was 4 years.
    In 80 years all would be a pile of dust or reef material.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Most Cabo's are I wouldn't say under-batteried, but let's just say the battery banks don't have much excess capacity to begin with. But this is common for weight savings with just about any modern brand of SF. Will it drain them, very slightly. But when you pickup the boat at the ship. After doing your checks, Turn on all of the battery switches, hold the parallel button up for 5 seconds (this will put it in parallel for 3 mins) the parallel and get the generator going as quick as possible, and load it immediately with only the battery charger(s) (until it warms up anyways), wait about 10 minutes. Hold the parallel button up again and start 1 engine, wait a minute or two and hold the parallel button up again and start the other engine, and you should be good to go.
  18. PSW

PSW Member

Thanks for the tips CaptJ.

Live from La Paz. Big thanks to Loadmaster for texting me pics while offloading some other boats. One more stop in Ensenada then to the frigid NW of 502932632.jpg Victoria BC.