Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport Click for Glendinning

Rugby World Cup in New Zealand

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Fishtigua, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Two completely different games IMHO.
    In US NFL the head/helmet is a weapon, as is the player. Lifespan, both sporting and actual are quite shocking in the pro US game. The players are targeted, with or without the ball.

Rugby, for the US members, is a game of playing the ball (supposedly) not a player without the ball.
    Having said that, I spent a terrible day watching my very good, fast younger son in hospital suffering severe concussion after being targeted by the forwards of the opposition. He plays on the wing, is fast and furious once he gets going. The opposition “took” him out and this is only High School Rugby!
    I thought we might lose him when he went into terrible convulsions on the field. It is his second serious concussion. Just too fast and commited for his age/wieght.

After this we are now in quandary whether to keep him playing next year.
    I know this isn’t yachting, but got to say this:
    After this experience I did a bit of research into head trauma amongst sportsmen. The results are SHOCKING with a new research groups underway in the US and Australia. A lot of serious ramifications that affect not just the players but also the people around these guys.
    I am still a great fan, just see it in another light. These guys are living very dangerously.
    OK Carl, I will now get back to a boating topic!
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Kafue, This was always Rugby not boats, and considering the passion it invokes world-wide, it should be watched as close as politics by the admins. But it's been handled very well indeed by the posters. Sorry about your son. Horrible. Both are dangerous sports. Rugby, soccor and U.S. football always had a rivalry, but none is for the timid. Rugby players wouldn't want to beef up and and practice all summer wearing full gear, and NFL players probably think you have to be nuts to get in a scrum (thanks for the term K1W1) with no pads. Both great games to watch and play, but hard to be a parent of a player. But enough moralizing. Good game to all. This old bod won't be seen on either field, but may well be found in either stands.:)
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

It was a bit noisy at The Hop Store in Antibes as well, this is a few hours after the final...

Attached Files:

4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Well we've had a bit of a warm-up for the Championship of Europe.

This is how you take a QB down.

Next is the World Cup.