Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking

Royal Huisman s/y Meteor!

Discussion in 'Royal Huisman Yacht' started by Yacht News, Apr 27, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

The all new Royal Huisman s/y Meteor is soon to officially be sailing the world's oceans. She was launched earlier this month and floated on a barge to Harlingen where her masts were stepped. This vessel is beautiful, a modern twist to a sail from the classic era! Some particulars will follow:

Note Well, the general particulars quoted, originated from the Royal Huisman website at:
    http://www.****************/index1.htm

Description, she is described as a 'gaf rigged schooner' with the forward mast being shorter than the main. Normally you would see the aft mast shorter. Three roller furlers grab the forward mast.

The deckwork is what is fantastic though, this is where you see the classic emerging. The raised social wooden cocpits clearly are reminiscent of that by-gone era.

Her hull is very dark blue with a black underwater hull. The two colours are separated with a solid white boot line. According to the Royal Huisman website, the s/y Meteor should be delievered in June. Who knows though, she might be readey before then. She already had her first sea trials.For more please revert to the Royal Huisman website at:
    http://www.****************
  2. kalmeran

kalmeran Senior Member

Meteor is more or less a copy of an earlier Huisman : Borkumriff. Since the owners of Borkumriff did not want to sell the boat, Meteors' present owner decided to build "his own Borkumriff". Some interior details are different (more paricular : the owners' cabin)
    By the way : he is (or better : was) the same owner of a famous Lurssen yacht.......

Your post says : "normally the aft mast is shorter" , but as you know, in such a configuration it is not a schooner, but a ketch (for purist : it can also be a yawl.....)

Anyway: Meteor is a schooner. In the cruising mode a gaff schooner, but (un like Borkumriff) Meteor can be transformed in a racing mode : in that case, the fore mast has a Bermuda sail with big roach (like Windrose, also from the design boards of Gerard Dijkstra) instead of a gaff sail with topsail.
  3. Yacht News

Hey Kalmeran,

I said this because most luxury private sail yachts of modern times are either of the type of Sloop or Ketch and particularly Ketch and or Yawl as you pointed out. So for the viewers out there who are accustomed to seeing the Ketch design in a sail vessel i just noted that on the Meteor it is different than the norm with a Ketch (aft (mizzen) mast being shorter), the opposite really. I know what is meant, it is just when i am typing, I take into consideration the wider audience out there. Everyone outthere is not as Yacht savvy as ourselves on this forum.
  4. kalmeran

kalmeran Senior Member

It's OK, Yachtluver, I knew that you knew....!;)
  5. kalmeran

kalmeran Senior Member

6. Yacht News

Hey Thanks for the website Kal.
  7. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Spottted her today tied just inside the 17th St. bridge in Ft Lauderdale. This is a poor photo, but she is a magnificent craft!

Attached Files:

8. Yacht News

"Meteor" is up for sale! You can view her at the FLIBS but wont be for sale to US residents.
  9. Neptune625

Neptune625 New Member

Meteor pictures and websites

a beautiful picture...

Attached Files:

10. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Neptune,

I've edited your picture due to it's size. Please note in the future that all images posted should be no larger than 640 pixels wide.