Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Westport

Royal Denship Yachts - Norseman Expedition Series - Renderings

Discussion in 'Royal Denship Yacht' started by YachtForums, Jun 22, 2004.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Royal Denship Yachts - Norseman Expedition Series 40 meter

Attached Files:

2. YachtForums

Royal Denship Yachts - Norseman Expedition Series 52 meter

Attached Files:

3. YachtForums

Royal Denship Yachts - Norseman Expedition Series 63 meter

Attached Files:

4. mwagner1

mwagner1 Senior Member

Please note that these yachts are not exclusive to Royal Denship.....they are referenced from Frontier Marine Designs (www.frontiermarinedesigns.com), created and conceived by M/Y Big Roi's former captain, Grant Maughan.

Grant was the build captain for Big Roi, so I guess that this is great advertising for Frontier Marine Designs!!!!

His renderings of his 80M, 85M, and 90M Norseman series are seriously cool looking yachts!!! :eek:

Cheers,

Mark
  5. KCook

KCook Senior Member

I'm wondering what the cutout in the side of the hull on the 52 is all about? Just under the gunnel, directly below the front of the cabin. I've seen cutouts like that near the stern, but never so near the bow.

Kelly
  6. mwagner1

mwagner1 Senior Member

Hello,

I am just guessing......it might very well be a possible balcony.....I have seen some interior renderings of a few of the larger Norseman series, and there are balconies on the 90m Norseman for some of the Guest Staterooms as well....a nice feature, and usually on the smaller boats, for the Owner's Stateroom!!!!

Also, on a number of Grant's designs, he uses those port and starboard compartments for tender storage.

Hope that this helps!!!

Cheers,

Mark
  7. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Seems like a lot of trouble to accommodate a tender. When you could just chuck it up on the bow (like everbody else)? Curious feature.

Kelly
  8. JonS

JonS Senior Member

Those are huge garages in the sides! Different i guess!
  9. mwagner1

mwagner1 Senior Member

Well,

From what I understand (and considering how a number of the BIGGER yachts have much higher decks, many designers and owners are wanting these compartments to reduce the height that you need to launch the tenders into the water. I guess that could be logical if your tenders are on a deck that is 25' above the water. I could not imagine launching a tender from the higher decks of Paul Allen's Octopus in rough seas...that may very well be why all of his tenders are located in compartments just above the water line.

What I have been told is that when you have the side compartments (oyyyy, they eat up interior space) you dramatically reduce the risk of the tender crashing into the side of the boat when launching in rough seas.

So, a compartment that is only 2-8' above the waterline (as opposed to 15' or more) makes lowering the tenders much safer for the crew, guests and the yacht itself....

Finally, I have read where some yacht owners do NOT want to see the tenders. Also, they may not have enough room on the decks to put all the tenders.

Hopefully an educated guess!!!!!

Cheers,

Mark
  10. KCook

KCook Senior Member

It would make a good niche for an inflatable lifeboat. But I can't imagine the need to launch tenders in rough seas in the first place. Except for an emergency.

Kelly
  11. mwagner1

mwagner1 Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  12. KCook

KCook Senior Member

The 80 and 90 do carry expedition themes. But the 85 looks like a "conventional" motoryacht to me. Mind you, a very NICE motoryacht :)

Kelly
  13. hufloas

hufloas New Member

I'm agree. The 85 is an expedition yacht for pleasure yacht lovers :cool:
  14. mwagner1

mwagner1 Senior Member

What is so interesting are the number of yachts that are now being called "expedition" yachts, yet look more like normal yachts....if there is such a thing as "normal". For instance, I have seen Paul Allen's yacht Octopus called an "expedition" yacht....same thing for Greg Norman's former yacht, Aussie Rules.

For many years I always associated expedition yachts as those like Bart Roberts, Big Roi, Pangaea, etc...with the same basic style like the Norseman shown here:

http://www.frontiermarinedesigns.com/Designs/F64.html (and what the designer refers to as an "aft wheelhouse design"....)

So, I wonder what exactly one needs on board to classify as an "expedition" yacht?? Serious fuel reserves?? Steel hull?? Full displacement???? The extra tenders?? Redundancy in all of the on board systems??? For instance, the new 180' Trinity Mia Elise is a steel hulled full displacement yacht, but will it ever go to the remote wilds??? Or do owners simply want a cooler look that a white boat will give them rather than the massive bow and smaller superstructure????

I wonder if many of the "standard" white boats would be able to brave the remote locations that the big expedition yachts can sail into????

Hmmmmmm

Cheers,

Mark
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I think it is more up to the owner. The Feadships Charade and Meduse was used for expeditions before the owner built Octopus.

I wouldn´t mind an expedition yacht like this; http://community.webshots.com/photo/60000043/84359902rHKKmm

Maybe the expedition style yachts are better in remote locations in that they are more discrete?
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  16. mwagner1

mwagner1 Senior Member

Well, I may show some ignorance here so please forgive me. When I visited Trinity Yachts in November of 2003, the 192' Ulysses was still there (the yacht had suffered a serious fire just before the yacht was done, so all I saw was a raw superstructure).

If anything about the Ulysses bothered me it was that the Owner's Deck was not all that spacious, especially compared to the normal white boat styles of other yachts at the yard. Thus, I could imagine an owner eschewing the expedition style in favor of a white boat design and thus more space on the upper decks, though still engineering and building in the features that make an expedition yacht just that: massive fuel reserves, water supplies, dive shop, heli pad, etc.

Sooooooo, you could then get a true expedition capable yacht and still retain the interior space of a traditional white yacht.

Finally, maybe some owners do not like the rugged looks of the aft style expedition yachts and feel that they might look like savages while docked in the Med amongst all the shiny white boats??? ;) And maybe an owner would feel that their shiny white boat in the wilds of the distant oceans might look more enticing to pirates...as opposed to that massive threatening expedition yacht??? :)

Who really knows????

Cheers,

Mark
  17. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

The following definition of an expedition yacht works for me. Not sure where I read it.
    Seaworthy and capable on all seas, in all seasons, in all weather. Completely self contained for a minimum of 60 days at sea.
  18. KCook

KCook Senior Member

While it may have been used in expedition type voyages, I really can't see Méduse as an expedition type yacht at all!

I wonder if this whole expedition theme is traveling the same path as 4 wheel drive Sport Utility Vehicles? In the beginning only hard core off-road drivers bought them. Then they became a "statement", and moms were buying them to run to the grocery store.

My view is that the keys to "expedition" are full displacement hull, high bow, and shortened superstructure. Absent any two of these clues, it's a motoryacht, not an expedition yacht. :cool:

Kelly
  19. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Calypso...

OK guys,

Here is your expedition yacht... :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

20. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Yup! :D :D