Click for Glendinning Click for Cross Click for Mag Bay Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service

Roller Furl stuck at masthead. HELP!!!

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Calvin19, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Calvin19

Calvin19 New Member

I NEED HELP!!!

I own a '67 Yorktown 39.4 sloop, I have a roller furl reefing system on the forward jib. it is the kind of furl that rolls the jib around the stay, without the stay twisting itself. (there is a sheath on the stay). the bearing near the masthead is seized, I think.

anyone ever have this problem and fix it WITHOUT taking the stay off?

it is an option, I have a secondary forward stay the connects mid deck, for the secondary jib. But i would rather NOT spend a day with my boat taken apart.

if not, any easy ways to take down the stay and furl? I am a rope rigger, but not a very experienced sailor. I am planning on tensioning the secondary forward stay, and then loosening the main forward stay, pull pin on bow, and then climb mast and slowly lower the stay/furl to the dock.
  2. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

If you have a spinnaker halyard that can work as well to keep the mast up while you lower the whole mess.
  3. Calvin19

Calvin19 New Member

haha... our spinnaker halyard is seized as well. at least we think it is.

main halyard is ok, there is an empty secondary pully for an aft hoist.

the secondary jib halyard is free and ok,

there is a spinnaker halyard is coming from the top of the mast, and there is another halyard coming from the bottom of the mast, but the spinnaker line will not respond to it. I went up there today, and oiled everything, I hope it will sink in by morning and free it up, but I'm guessing not.

to clarify

from MASTHEAD- main, secondary jib, jib, spinnaker.

from mast base- main, secondary jib, ?,

It seems that there are 4 lines from the masthead, but only 3 halyard lines from the base.

confusion here.

I really don't want to de rig a 40' boat.
  4. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

It sounds to me like that is exactly what you should do. Better to re-rig it dockside than wait until something goes wrong while you're sailing,
  5. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

It has been several years since I messed with this stuff it sounds like you have a couple off issues going on. First of all the slider that is attached between the halyard and the head of the sail usually have delron or similar ball bearings in them and it is not uncommon to get a salt buildup which can sieze them up if this is the case oil will do nothing you need to flush it with fresh water

Attached Files:

6. Garry Hartshorn

The other issue is that it seems you have a broken halyard that is tangled up inside the mast which is causing some problems, I would suggest that you need to deal with this ASAP. I think I would be pulling all the halyards to check their condition, run a mouse so you can re thread them.
  7. Calvin19

Calvin19 New Member

today, I scaled the mast again, this time armed with a few big wrenches.

I put them both on the halyard furl pulley. and CRANKED.

after about 5 min of straining, I turned it. then drenched it with penetrating oil.

the Furl now works perfectly. we plan on de-rigging it for a bearing replacement as soon as we get our ship home.

as for the spinnaker halyard, another non-smooth story.

I tossed the line on a winch, and cranked it, 5:1. broke it free. same story, we will get it replaced as soon as we get home. 500nm to go.

the jib halyard we are not going to mess with, since the jib is furling, we wont worry about that until home is reached.

our latest problem, is the Perkins 4.108. she is not seized, but our deep cycles are shot, and the starters are about 50%. we replace those tomorrow.
    we cannot get home without a motor. well, maybe.

finally, our masthead remote wind sensor (direction and speed) is broken. where can we find a replacement? it plugs into the mast, as if it were an easily replaceable part.

thanks a lot guys, even if I used my testosterone instead of my better judgment. I promise, I'm not the one in charge out at sea :p
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Aye Calvin, ya seem to have a few problems...

A frozen roller furling can lead to un-twisting the forestay.
    Been there, done that.
    Not good, it could snap the mast and kill you in the process.

Any sailboat needs as much preventive maintenance, or perhaps more than a power boat.
    It all comes down to money.
    If you are not the expert, hire a rigger and haul him up the mast for a complete rigging survey.
    $150 to $200 should be the cost but will save ya money in the long run.
    Then thing about replacing the standing rigging and the running rigging.
    Then the chain-plates...Hell of a job, did that on my CSY 33..Never again...
    (SS Chainplates should last 15 to 20 years, if your boat is older than that with the factory chainplates, ya are gambling:rolleyes: )

Not a good idea to use muscle on frozen parts and pieces. Be gentle and patient...:cool:

No deep cycle batteries for starting..Right?
    I have a Perkins 4-108 in my sailboat: The finest engine ever made and idiot proof. Take care of it, oil/filter changes, injectors every 400 hours and other basic stuff.
    She will take ya home.
  9. Calvin19

Calvin19 New Member

Norseman,
    thanks for the words. As I just came into possession of this ship, I don't know much about the 4.108, but i have heard a lot of good things.

and no, deep's are not for starting, we have marine starting batts for that.

all are being replaced.

problem is, our marina is kicking us out, something about a potato canon war and unpaid slip fees. wasn't really listening. we have another week to vacate.
    so... the marina owner is giving us a lot of help to get away.

motor should be purring tommorow, changed oil today, turned it with a wrench.
    it was running two years ago, just fine.

be well...

we are Monterey Bay bound soon enough.
  10. Calvin19

Calvin19 New Member

Garry,
    that was it, yep. but we got it fixed. thanks!!!
  11. Gareth

Gareth New Member

In the picture you posted, the angle between the halyard and the stay, is dangerously small. I'd put a short strop either at the bottom or top of the jib, so the halyard is better able to resist twisting.

It's my feeling that you probably know about this, but i think this angle may also be related to Calvin's problem.
  12. Garry Hartshorn

I do agree about the angle, I took a photo of a boat docked next to me for an example.
  13. Calvin19

Calvin19 New Member

test run today, had all sails up and full. Spin is beautiful!

but then... HORROR!!!! we lit up the motor (bought a NEW bank of EIGHT deep cycle 27s, and found that motor started just fine after a new starter)

oh yeah... horror. motoring out of the marina, past the gate, and opened her up. at about 2000-2400 rpm, she vibrated vilently, lost power, and spewd grayish smoke. after bring throttle down below 1500, she purrs again fine.

sigh.

our new life raft got hear today, new hardware, I rigged a new main halyard last night, new vang, and I took a pattern to rebuild the mainsail cover.

help? we are getting really close. I can feel it.