Click for Furuno Click for Perko Click for Comfort Click for Walker Click for Mulder

Rod storage, lets see it

Discussion in 'Luhrs Yacht' started by Bucksh0t, Feb 28, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Bucksh0t

Bucksh0t Member

I will be starting a new project soon, rod/reel storage. My plan is to make a shallow false floor that has short tubes to allow me to vertically stow my offshore rods. There looks to be just enough room on each side of the master to fit about 5 to 6 on each side.
    I am curious to see what ideas others have come up with.
  2. Rich Plukas

Rich Plukas New Member

Half my salon couch had a storage space filled with the extra bed cushion/platform that I never used. Just took that out and store most my rods in there. I also velcro strap a few up in the framing for the fly bridge top. Probably not what you were looking for but its how I solved my problem. I also don't have to worry about salt spray damage on Lake Ontario.
  3. Josh Keeran

Josh Keeran Member

Funny you started this! Today I began working on the same. My wife does not want the rods in the cabin on this boat. I am going to try hanging them in the flybridge. I am using Du Bro tracks and holders. I’m drilling/tapping the aluminum framing and going to use Loctite. I’m concerned with the weight and the annoyance of the rods swaying with rocking. We will see! Sorry for the blue, boat is still wrapped up

Attached Files:

4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

DO NOT use locktite on the s/s screws going into aluminum. Use Tef Gel to keep them from welding themselves together. You still will not have an issue with any of them loosening on their own.
  5. Josh Keeran

Josh Keeran Member

thanks!
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

YEP!!
    Ad an extra drop where the new rail contacts the top tube. Further sealing the screw and keeping the contact area free of moisture. Even though its alloy to alloy, some surface white can still appear.
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  7. Rscriv

Rscriv New Member

upload_2020-3-5_15-31-1.jpeg

I went with the rod holders on the ceiling if the bridge, but I like how you have the reels alternating, i’m going to change it
  8. Josh Keeran

Josh Keeran Member

Still a work in progress and making some tweaks. In a couple weeks I will be able to get better non blue pics! Hard to tell but the rods are going port to starboard.

Attached Files:

9. Bucksh0t

Bucksh0t Member

Holy cow, that is a lot of rods. I need to go buy a few more:D
  10. Bucksh0t

Bucksh0t Member

I finally got the chance to work on my rod storage problem, I think it turned out great. There is plenty of room in the steps for rod holders. There is room on the starboard side in the floor but the port side has the large tube/chase for wiring directly under the floor.
    My bent butts still need a place, may just be easier to get a couple of the winthrop adjustable butts.

20200410_135821.jpg 20200410_145419.jpg 20200410_145419.jpg 20200410_135821.jpg 20200410_145419.jpg
  11. Josh Keeran

Josh Keeran Member

I like it!
  12. Josh Keeran

Josh Keeran Member

Started getting a couple of the rods stored!

Attached Files:

13. CaptainChase

CaptainChase Member

Anyone have an opinion on good Zero degree flush mount rod holders for the gunnels around the cockpit? Redoing all of the gel coat non skid so figured it was a good time to glass over old holes and add new/more rod holders.