Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Mulder

Roamer Refrigeration

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by lacabina, Apr 18, 2011.

1. lacabina

lacabina Member

The previous owner of my 1968 Roamer Riviera 37' AL installed a cheap dorm refrigerator 110v. I would like to find a decent unit for my needs. I have NO experience with 110/12volt units and I really don't think I need one. I am usually out for 24 hours max. Most unts will hold cold for that period with an occasional generator use.
    I would like some thoughts as to a quality unit, reasonably priced. Should I consider a dual power unit or will I be looking a battery replacement?
    The space is 24 3/4" Wide, 35"High, 24 1/2 Deep. The challenge is the hatch opening. It measures 22 1/2" wide. I'm really not sure how to determine if a unit that fits the space will fit the hatch.
    Thanks.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Surely if your maximum dimension of access is known then you will need to find a unit that will pass through this opening or am I missing something?

If you only want it for occasional calm water use just get a cheap domestic unit, if you have an inverter you might be able to keep it going that way otherwise you will need to run the genset every few hours to keep it cold once it is already cold from shore power.
  3. jflongwell

jflongwell Member

Fridge

We replaced ours last year. We looked for one with a freezer door that sealed the best. We picked a Frigidaire 4.4 cuft and are very happy with it. If the door is kept closed and the freezer has something frozen in it (water bottles work real well, when they thaw, you can drink them!) it will keep cold for quite a while (12-18 hrs). Even last summer in New York (90+)!
    I see the price is even lower than last year.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_326299-47224-LFPH44M4LM_4294857965_4294937087_?productId=3256590&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Compact%2BRefrigerators_4294857965_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_price|0

John
  4. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

Even though the hatch is a smaller opening, you should be able to get more than enough clearance by either opening or removing the fridge doors. Usually 2 screws on top of the door and the one at the base holding the pivot point on is all you need to remove them.