Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for JetForums

Riva Wooden Power Boat

Discussion in 'Riva Yacht' started by MacMcL, Aug 30, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MacMcL

MacMcL Senior Member

While kicking around the Caribbean, a friend of mine showed me an old wooden Riva sitting in a warehouse. It looks like the vintage Chris Craft run abouts. It is 30 to 35 feet long and has two gas v-8 engines. It is in need of a lot of TLC. I understand that it can purchased for less than $25k -US.

Anybody know anything about these boats or can you point me in the right direction? Maybe someone that has restored one previously or knows of a yard that has worked with them.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Find out if it is actually a Riva not just one that looks like a Riva.

There were a number of excellent old wooden ones destroyed in a fire in a dry storage shed in France a few years ago.

The value of the survivors will have risen since then owing to the reduction in their numbers.

If it really is a genuine one and you buy it please restore it properly as these are fantastic reminders of a bygone era in decreasing numbers.

I am currently having a 10m custom wooden launch built for a client, the yard where it is being done is a small family outfit where there are only three other boats other than my clients being done. A single engine version of my clients boat and two Riva restorations.

The whole place is like stepping back in time and it has a wonderful atmosphere and smell about it.

This is taking place in Europe so is probably not much use to you but I can point you to a great wooden boat builder in Ft Myers if that is close enough to you.
  3. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

Heres a start...
    http://www.rivagb.com/legend/models/aquarama/index.html
    I'd guess its an Aquarama from your description.
    Worth a fair bit when sympathetically restored no doubt, but as to wether the final value matches the initial outlay is rather optimistic...unless she is calling to you and you answer her call. In which case good luck with your aquadrama.
  4. MacMcL

MacMcL Senior Member

She is definitely a Riva and not a knock off. I am going back to the warehouse in couple of days and knock off 3 inches of dust and go through it in detail.
  5. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

Im sure a few of us would love to see some pics if possible ?
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, especially before the dust is removed....:)
  7. Henry Newbold

Henry Newbold New Member

Riva Aquarama

There is a boatyard at Lake Minnetonka, Minn. "Mahogany Bay" which does absolutely stunning restoration work at stunting prices and I believe has significant experience with Rivas. Its a long haul from Aruba but ........
    Look at them online. They recently completed Aly Khan's old Riva, I understand.
  8. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Mac,

Did you ever return ?
  9. 54 Conqueror

54 Conqueror New Member

Would love to see pics.

My boat is a 1954 Chris Craft 53' money machine too. But I love it!