Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Rising Sun design issues

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by Ben, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Ben

Ben Senior Member

There are some pretty good designs being posted on this forum, indicating a high level of skill and knowledge. So I thought I'd ask what are your opinions on Rising Sun, and how would you fix her?

I love her sleek, clean lines, I love the curve of her main deck (as opposed to flat) I love the all glass superstructure and the open spaces, but I agree, there is room for improvement.

My best (unqualified) thought would be to have the upwards curve in the main deck in the hull sides only, sort of like a curved balwark, starting at the stern with no balwark and then growing towards the bow, but the deck remains level. This may allow more windows on the main deck perhaps tying the hull and the superstructure together. As I said, unqualified! ;)

Your thoughts?
  2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Well to tell you the truth, i have always loved the RS design and i see no real room for improvement. I know many people talk about her 'wedding-cake' design but i guess i like it. Same way i love the Wedge Too (W2) and she is worse than the RS with the widding cake phenomenon.
  3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

First of all, just to jog our collective memories -

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/15211-post18.html

With such a strongly linear design I think putting more slant in the sheer line might clash with the superstructure. Possible consider putting steps into the sheer. So as to give more height at the bow. But I really don't have any issues with this sheer as it is.

My complaint is the lack of windows in the lowest deck of the superstructure. Not that it needs to be a full greenhouse like the upper two decks. But it could well use at least twice as much glass as it has now.

Kelly
  4. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

I guess i could understand what you are saying Kelly, it does look somewhat bare of windows on the maindeck. but as i see it you really cannot do too much about that. Maybe a full round of windows to the front of the superstructure on that deck to match back with the twodecks above.
  5. Ben

Ben Senior Member

The suggestion that the hull and superstructure don't match has got to be the most common complaint. I think she is still one of the most elegant, gracefull looking yachts and, given the funds, I'd take her as she is.
    Given the skill on this forum I also thought it might be interesting to see if/how she could be improved, if someone were to ask.

I think her size should be seen as providing opportunities for design that you don't get with smaller yachts.
  6. Angelus

Angelus New Member

My 2 pence

For me she has elegance with change. I was a radical idea that for the most part worked. I agree though that the glass design does not match the rest. I dont mind a lot of glass by any means. Some of the yachts around these day are too dark inside, my own humble opinion. I like your idea with the bulwark but cant help thinking it doesn't solve those upper deck problems. Right! I love the bow line And Casco all the way. But with those lines, I would be tempted to sweep back the frames round the glass, just a tad. I'm not really keen on some of the bolder vertical lines with that bow. I can only assume that with all that glass they had no cracking problems from vibration. I really apologise for my ignorance here but I have no knowledge of the current standing on this yacht. The thread name has 'Issue' in it. what is the issue.. being sold, in for fefit etc . Again sorry for being a little out of touch with the Yacht world
  7. Londondesigner

Londondesigner New Member

I love the shape of the bow like others here but i feel the overall hull line looks too low when compared with the height of the superstructure. The gap which seperates the hull line to the windows on the upper decks is too much in its height. For practical reasons this cant really be helped given the current plans but it needs some graphic of some sort to divide the space. Other users have mentioned more windows but there could be more options to explore with simple styling features.

The overall design is indeed very clear and crisp but I have to say Iv never been a fan of Rising Sun. She looks much too 'clinical' for my tastes and reminds me of a hospital ship. The superstructure, which I believe is too modern for the classic bow shape, is interesting. I love the bug eye green glass. The problem I do have is the vertical frames are the same all around the structure except for the rear. The formal arrangement and the 'wedding cake' style, like someone mentioned, give no sense of movement or direction to the yacht.

Overall, like I said Im not a fan but I dont hate this yacht. Id give it more direction on the superstructure and maybe try and make it seem like it belongs to the hull rather than being a seperate entity.
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

When she was in Stockholm a couple of years ago, I also found the main deck to be a bit high and "empty" as you can see on the picture with the guy walking. So I made a profile picture where this deck is about two feet lower.

Since you now made it an "issue", I thought I should post it, eventhough it can never be altered in reality...

Attached Files:

9. CaptainSilva

CaptainSilva Senior Member

Is that sweet AMG Benz yours Lars?
  10. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Very good solution Lars.

Kelly
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks Kelly, I wish all yacht builders checked with me prior to build their palaces...:D

Yes, the AMG is my classic E36 Coupé from 1994.
  12. Scryer_360

Scryer_360 New Member

Missouri (of all the worst places for a motor yach
    Its a little old, yes, but my problem with it is in the styling altogether: it looks (from a distance) more like a apartment complex with a stern than a yacht. Had this thing been docked and the bottom half obscured from view, I may have guess just that at first sight: that it was a living quarters, not some kind of something that floats.

Maybe its just that this boat is out of the 90s, but all that this reminds me of is a "vacancy" sign on a hotel.