Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning

Reviews / Comments on West Bay Son Ship 54 Pilothouse 2005

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Todder, Sep 3, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Todder

Todder New Member

Has anyone owned or cruised aboard one of these WB 54's? I have heard allot of good about the WB lines and they are designed and built for our west coast waters and a good size for us to manage upkeep and berth. I could not find much on the internet at all on the 54's .Hull speed, cruising speed, fuel curves, performance, stability, layout etc.
    Any reviews or comments good and bad would be appreciated.
  2. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Should be similar to the 58 WB. Great design and quality construction.
  3. GPO

GPO Member

Can’t offer any specifics on the 54. I’m only somewhat familiar with the 58 owned by a friend. Suggestion for the stats listed in your post. In case you haven’t already, try connecting with the builder. You’ll find contact info on their website (http://west-bay.com). They may be willing to share quantitative data from their records. Otherwise for objective qualitative feedback, you’ll have to hope someone on the forum is a past/present owner of a 54.
  4. RER

RER Senior Member

Not many 54’s around. They built maybe a handful. Maybe a few more. A 2009 model with a hardtop sold on the brokerage market in July.

The 58’ is West Bay’s best selling model and I think they built close to 100 of them. Many have DD 6V92 power. Some later models have 3406 CATS.

It’s a lot of boat in under 60 feet. The later model CAT powered 58 is hard to beat.
  5. Todder

Todder New Member

I am not sure if it is the same as the 58 either.
    Thanks
  6. Todder

Todder New Member

Thanks I will try them
  7. Todder

Todder New Member

Yes, I agree not allot of the 54's around. The one I am looking at has C12's / 700hp.
  8. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

The floorplan I've looked at is a similar version of the 58. Great layout, you lose one pilothouse door and a little room here and there. Speed performance with the larger power option is probably similar to the 58 with Cat 3406's. Hard not to like a West-bay.
    Todder likes this.
  9. Riknpat

Riknpat Senior Member

While the 58 was designed by a trifecta of Ben Vermuelen (WBS Owner). Howard Apollonio and Glade Johnson, the 54 is the work of well known BC Naval Architect Gregory Marshall in Victoria. He might be a source of info too.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I recently was on a West Bay 58' Very good quality of construction and everything that you need to service was easy to get to. I liked the boat. It did have some gelcoat cracking.
    Todder likes this.
  11. gsholz

gsholz New Member

I looked at an older WB 58. Two items I did not like. The electric panel was at the floor level right next to the saloon entrance. Hard to read any labels without sitting on the floor. The other item, a showstopper for me, I'd hit my head every time I stepped down from the pilothouse/galley area into the saloon. Not enough headroom for a tall guy in this transition area. Going up was fine. Guess I lean forward when stepping up/down.
    Todder likes this.
  12. Riknpat

Riknpat Senior Member

I see that all of the West Bay SS current offerings right down to the smallest (66) are painted. I guess Ben agreed with you on the gelcoat.
  13. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Go to gregmarshalldotcom for information and specs on this boat.
  14. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

looks like gregmarchalldesign dot com might be the place?
  15. Todder

Todder New Member

Thank you Gents
  16. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Greg Marshall is a disciple of Bill Garden and someone I greatly admire.
  17. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I’m a big fan of Greg Marshall as well. Met him while visiting some shipyards in the PacNW many years ago and subsequently at FLIBS. He’s a member of YF.
  18. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

That is by design, many production boats are designed to accommodate ease of construction not maintenance or replacement of equipment.
  19. Todder

Todder New Member

The website gregmarshalldesign doesn't show much for details on this boat. Beam and length is about it. I will contact them direct to see if I can access more details on th WB 54 pilothouse.