Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko

Retirement Dreams

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by sminsc, Aug 13, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

As I have spent some time as a yacht broker, I know that most people building yachts in the 60-70 Million range have private jets and use to fly in to the shipyard many times during construction.

With a G5 or bigger it is no big deal to go to Lürssen or A&R from Chicago, but with a smaller or no plane it may be better to build in the US..?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You might want to take that statement with a rain of salt.

Rules ask for a dedicated Fire and a dedicated bilge pump(they can also be dual purpose) with a emergency backup that can be dual purpose (fire/bilge) mounted outside the Machinery Space and fed by the Emergency Power source.

What might be seen in the video could well be the Emergency Bilge pump doing it's best driven by the air cooled emergency genset but with the vessel on such a heel the bilge suction in the engine room could well be sucking air hence the relatively weak output of water seen in the video.

I have no inside info as to the accuracy of my thoughts, it is just something that occurred to me after reading the material published so far.
  3. Telemachus

Telemachus Senior Member

To AMG:

Thank you for your insight; I think that due to the means that I'll likely have (if everything goes according to plan), you're absolutely correct. Shiftless creative types like myself need need a dose of practicality.

To K1W1:

That's an impressive bit of forensics. Oddly enough, just prior to the sinking, I had looked at the P & T website and I found it odd that the engines were closed off in a separate room and that the rest of the layout was peculiar.
  4. YachtNewbie

YachtNewbie New Member

My wife and are in the same "boat" as you and your husband. The main difference is we are only four years away.

I'm sold on the Selene 53' trawler, although by also have excellent 45, 47 and 48 footers. High quality, long range, seaworthiness and simplicity in a single engine with bow and stern thrusters.

Take a look at them on yachtworld and tell me what you and hubby think?
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I've never cruised on a Selene but have talked to owners who are very happy with them. If you're considering a 53' Selene, you might also look at 55' Flemings.
  6. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

You can charter a 50 or 53' foot Selene from Jerry Chitwood in Sarasota. Try before you buy...
  7. olderboater

Great advice. We learned so much by chartering. If you don't like the boat, mistake avoided. Even if you fall in love with it, you still learn some of those little things you'd like to change a bit.
  8. YachtNewbie

YachtNewbie New Member

I've looked at Flemmings but like the finish and layouts of the Selene better.

My desire is the 53' but would happily settle for the 45 or 47 footers. Great range, simplicity of a singe engine and they have every feature I am looking for in a live-aboard yacht capable of going just about anywhere.
  9. YachtNewbie

YachtNewbie New Member

What would a charter like this cost?
  10. olderboater

36' G.B. at $450 per day, $1,595 four-day package or $2,095 per week. A 42' G.B. at $500 per day, $1,895 four-day package or $2,595 per week. A 42' G.B. MTY at $600 per day, $2,095 four-day package or $2,795 per week. A 48' G.B. MTY at $650 per day, $2,295 four-day package or $2,995 per week. A 49' G.B. MTY at $750 per day, $2,595 four-day package or $3,995 per week. A 50' Selene at $1,000 per day, $3,495 four-day package or $4,995 per week. A 53' Selene at $1,100 per day, $3,695 four-day package or $5,495 per week
  11. Barpilot

Barpilot Guest

If you are looking in the $60-70 million range and you don't already have the means to pull that off...............well, you might just be dreaming.
  12. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

You might have a read thru this subject thread,...and ignore the 13M figure

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-yachting-discussion/15706-new-yachting;-13-million-spend.html

If you intend to spend a considerable amount of time on the east coast, and in the Bahamas you might want to consider this 'Shallow Draft & Smaller Vessels' aspect...very important...
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/123583-post41.html
  13. NEO56

NEO56 Member

When you do have the means for your boat, you might want to consider Feadship, or any other Dutch builder for steel. Also my favorite Builder in Holland is Kuipers-Woodsend, who used to build for Virpack, but sold out to an Italian group who wished to build larger boats. But if you want to build in Steel...go Dutch.