Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

Restoring the LOST PERL

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Capt. Mike, Sep 28, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Title 33: Navigation and Navigable Waters

CHAPTER I: COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY

SUBCHAPTER E: INLAND NAVIGATION RULES

PART 84: ANNEX I: POSITIONING AND TECHNICAL DETAILS OF LIGHTS AND SHAPES

84.03 - Vertical positioning and spacing of lights.

(a) On a power-driven vessel of 20 meters or more in length the masthead lights shall be placed as follows:

(1) The forward masthead light, or if only one masthead light is carried, then that light, at a height above the hull of not less than 5 meters, and, if the breadth of the vessel exceeds 5 meters, then at a height above the hull not less than such breadth, so however that the light need not be placed at a greater height above the hull than 8 meters;

(2) When two masthead lights are carried the after one shall be at least 2 meters vertically higher than the forward one.

(b) The vertical separation of the masthead lights of power-driven vessels shall be such that in all normal conditions of trim the after light will be seen over and separate from the forward light at a distance of 1000 meters from the stem when viewed from water level.

(c) The masthead light of a power-driven vessel of 12 meters but less than 20 meters in length shall be placed at a height above the gunwale of not less than 2.5 meters.

(d) The masthead light, or the all-round light described in Rule 23(c), of a power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length shall be carried at least one meter higher than the sidelights.

(e) One of the two or three masthead lights prescribed for a power-driven vessel when engaged in towing or pushing another vessel shall be placed in the same position as either the forward masthead light or the after masthead light, provided that the lowest after masthead light shall be at least 2 meters vertically higher than the highest forward masthead light.

(f)(1) The masthead light or lights prescribed in Rule 23(a) shall be so placed as to be above and clear of all other lights and obstructions except as described in paragraph (f)(2) of this section.

(2) When it is impracticable to carry the all-round lights prescribed in Rule 27(b)(i) below the masthead lights, they may be carried above the after masthead light(s) or vertically in between the forward masthead light(s) and after masthead light(s), provided that in the latter case the requirement of ? 84.05(d) shall be complied with.

(g) The sidelights of a power-driven vessel shall be placed at least one meter lower than the forward masthead light. They shall not be so low as to be interfered with by deck lights.

(h) [Reserved]

(i) When the Rules prescribe two or three lights to be carried in a vertical line, they shall be spaced as follows:

(1) On a vessel of 20 meters in length or more such lights shall be spaced not less than 1 meter apart, and the lowest of these lights shall, except where a towing light is required, be placed at a height of not less than 4 meters above the hull;

(2) On a vessel of less than 20 meters in length such lights shall be spaced not less than 1 meter apart and the lowest of these lights shall, except where a towing light is required, be placed at a height of not less than 2 meters above the gunwale;

(3) When three lights are carried they shall be equally spaced.

(j) The lower of the two all-round lights prescribed for a vessel when engaged in fishing shall be a height above the sidelights not less than twice the distance between the two vertical lights.

(k) The forward anchor light prescribed in Rule 30(a)(i), when two are carried, shall not be less than 4.5 meters above the after one. On a vessel of 50 meters or more in length this forward anchor light shall be placed at a height or not less than 6 meters above the hull.

[CGD 81-008, 46 FR 62447, Dec. 24, 1981, as amended by CGD 89-024, 55 FR 3947, Feb. 6, 1990
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Or, The original light system, put back in it's original positions. This may require a lot of original paper work or applying for copies of any original wavers for your ship.
    I would try my best to follow the rules but when some ships were built, some lights arrangements would not work and wavers were granted. IE off center whites and/or vertical measurements.
    Thx to NYCAP123 for the text above. It's take some re-reading to understand some of it but it's there, looks like straight from the book.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

" if only one masthead light is carried, then that light, at a height above the hull of not less than 5 meters, and, if the breadth of the vessel exceeds 5 meters, then at a height above the hull not less than such breadth, so however that the light need not be placed at a greater height above the hull than 8 meters;
    (The height of the mast above the hull should equal the beam of the boat within a minimum of about 15' and a maximum of about 24').
  4. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

Still working on the boat

News Years Eve downtown Nashville TN,

[​IMG]
  5. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Very nice. While I don't agree with some of your construction techniques, I do commend you on your determination to get this thing done.
  6. directorbman

directorbman New Member

fantastically awesome thread, keep the updates coming when you get time!!! :D
  7. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

On a boat like that I would consider perhaps going with a classic varnished wood cross style mast.
  8. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I decided to just modify and use the original mast. I will get some photos soon. I don't think I came across how big and tall this is. I had to set up three sets of scaffolding to be able to reach the top of the mast at thirty three feet from the water and nineteen feet off the deck. I have it down to so I can weld it, I hate welding aluminum but it has to be done.
  9. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I found these photos when I was starting to work on the mast but the scaffolding was only two high I had to raise it to three high. I tried to to use my mig with a spool gun to tac the plates but it would not get hot enough to weld my 3/16 aluminum, so I pulled out my miller tig machine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I think I am done after this one. I would love to see some photos and what size is it.
  11. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I moved my boat off the bank today to a temp slip waiting for a marina that is building all new slips to get built out.
    It has been a long time waiting to get her to this point. You can really see the size of her when she sits at a normal dock. You guys on the coast see yachts like this and bigger every day, but not in Tennessee.
    The ride was smoth and boy those new Cats run great. I almost have a hundred hours on them. I changed the oil at 92 hours because i didn't know if could make time at one hundred hours.
  12. directorbman

directorbman New Member

Pure Torture without pictures. :(

13. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Capt Mike, where did you move to? I've enjoyed watching your progress from MetroCenter.
  14. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I'm down at Riverview in Ashlandycity waiting for Cedar Creek to get slips done. The Corp was wanting me to get a slip and I need to do a few things that I can not do on the river before I go into a slip.

Did you see her when I first got her.
  15. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Not sure when I first saw her, but am amazed at the progress. Looking forward to seeing her on the lake. We're at Gallatin.
  16. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

it took me a bit but I did it from facebook
    I hope to get the lights in today I will try to post them.
    What do you think of the lines

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. JustMag

JustMag Member

Looks great! When I get some time I want to talk to you about the ceiling. I helping my brother-in-law redo a 80' houseboat on Lake Cumberland and we need to re-cover the ceiling............I have no idea how to go about it:confused:
  18. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

Anytime
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  19. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I know I could never put my older yacht next to a newer one but on the inland rivers she is one of a kind. The layout is the best I have ever seen of a boat this size, and she is starting to come together fast.

[​IMG]
  20. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

Has anyone changed there lights to led, most of my lights are g4 led and you can buy a led replacement bulb. From what I read a 10 watt bulb is 130 lumen. My house charger is only a 40 amp and at a party with all the light on I would pull almost a 100 amps so I have to do somthing to cut down the amp draw. I know I can get a bigger charger but first I want to cut down the amp draw. Another reason those ten and twenty watt halogen bulbs aren't cheap and don't last long.

If I change all my deck lights witch are ten watts each I will go from 190 watts to 49.4 watts. I ordered one bulb to see how good they are today. I have not found a 20 watt replacement led yet. They say that I should use a 320 lumen for that replacement.

These lights on eBay are 7.99 for two, that's cheaper then halogen lights at a homedepot.

[​IMG]