Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for JetForums

Restoring the LOST PERL

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Capt. Mike, Sep 28, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Impressive work.......well done.
  2. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I have been buying hard woods for a long time and learned a how to do it at a good price. You to go where they sell to the guys that build cabinets, there a lot of hobby woodworkers out here to and that is a good part of there business to. Now not all wood places are alike so go to everyone and check them out. Around Nashville TN, we have five places for hardwoods and cabinet grade plywood. One has a $500 min another is hard to deal with Nashville plywood is ok but a bit high and there wood is only #1 select and only 8' wood and no wide boards.
    Now Summers Lumber I think is the best place to deal with. You can buy #1 select, #2 common or even curly cherry and many other woods
    #2 common on cherry is only a $1.50BF now beat that price. But with #2 you will have to cut around a few knots and bad spots but you will get better looking wood. To me #1 select wood is kinda plane. I hope this helps someone here that needs hardwood.
  3. carelm

carelm Senior Member

Capt Mike,

This has been a very interesting thread. It looks like the Lost Perl will be a real work of art when completed.

Concerning hardwoods, some years ago my father had the bright idea of building a rowboat from scratch. The keel and frame was built from white oak. White was a bit of a misnomer because by the time we got the keel cut to shape, there were scorch marks where we did the cutting. Two inch thick white oak is a real PITA to work as we found out.

Best wishes on your continued work in progress.
  4. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

Many things have changed on the lines of my boat. I was sitting around and thought I would draw a how I wanted the out side lines were to end up. I got a new 55-200 leans for my nikon d40, so I could do better photos of the lines from across the river. I traced one of my photos first then I added what I wanted her to look like.
    I was trying to decide if I wanted a arch or a tree/mast, I kinda leaning toward the arch with a small mast on top of it. What do you think Do you think this will work or do I need to change something I don't want to end up on that fugly boat page with 103 foot boat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I started running the wires for the mast so how many wires should I expect to run from the mast to the pilot house. So far I ran three
    three 16X2
    three 12X3
    one 12X3

I talked to Garmin and they said I GMR 604/606 for my radar array comes with 50 feet wire so I need to wait and see on the array wires

I will have four cameras up there so I can see everywhere while in the pilot house, so I know I have to run the power for them.

I see many boats with many antenna on them, why have more then one. Now we are on rivers and lakes up here so we don't use our radio much except to go through locks.

So what all should I have up there.
  6. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

It will look better after glassed and gelcoat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Funny, I was just going to comment on how this bridge is being put together till I realized that my friends 1971 CRN is done exactly the same way, except without the benefit of a fiberglass laminate on top.
  8. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

How could he not fiberglass the wood, what did he put on it.

I will have no painted wood on the outside of this boat. Everything outside will be ether fiberglass or painted metal.
  9. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I had some rain for two days but we kicked it into gear today
    I will be cutting down the mast. I think it is a bit high at 10 feet

I was ask about where I am in Nashville. Google has my boat on there map, kinda cool I think

1030 Alice St, Nashville, TN 37218 - Google Maps

[​IMG]
  10. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Ask CRN, that's the way the boat was built back in the early 70's.
  11. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

My 62' Pacemaker also had a lot of painted wood on top of her, and yep it a lot of rot. I just don't want in a few years to have to replace any wood or repair rot.
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Have you considered using Divynicel or some other coring material instead of plywood on the FB?
  13. BLouder

BLouder New Member

I'm not much of a religious guy, but you are truly doing gods work here man! Bringing a beautiful old boat back, and helping out a couple of fellas all at the same time. I admire what you are doing. I'm sure someone could write a hell of a book on the adventures this old ship has seen. Keep up the great work, and post the stories of the history of this vessel as you learn them.

William
  14. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I got my granite in, now I can put the stainless on my 48" sub zero
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The galley looks beautiful and very functional.
  16. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

Yesterday I finish all the cabinet doors for the upper cabinets and most of the doors for the lower ones. My girlfriend came by today and ask why are you working on the master stateroom and not finishing the lower cabinets in the galley, I told her it was the cold coming and I wanted to seal some things in the bedroom and she tried to tell me it was my OCD. I said they both have to be done does it really matter that I make it all come together at the same time. At least Tim and Bill were working on the outside.

[​IMG]
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's coming along nicely. I have to hand it to you, 95% of people wouldn't have the discipline to stick with it. When do you figure you're going to have her completed?
  18. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

And are you in line with your projected expenses. I think the biggest challenge in this project is to plan, and stick to the plan. I have screwed up several times on my own boats because I couldn't resist putting more work and materials in.
  19. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

In the fact this is my sixth boat the one thing I have learned is buying things for your boat will not fix it, working on it will. If at any time working on the boat you have a lot of electronic then you think buying things will make your boat better, WRONG. The electronic should be last unless you get them almost free like I did on a trade.

But I did get this year a new Garmin 5212. No I did not go out and spend $3500. on one, I did a barter with a guy who had to put it on a credit card and I don't take cards. He bought me a gift card at West Marine. When the job was finish I was out about $10 and I paid my son $180 to do the job, it took two days. I would love to do that again. Other wise I would not bought this garmin this year
  20. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I'm a bit stumped on how big to make the mast and what kind so that's where you guy's come in. I want to here what you think.

[​IMG][​IMG]