Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Burger

Restoring the LOST PERL

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Capt. Mike, Sep 28, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I had varnish on my last boat decks and loved it. I don't think I would call it a band aid.
    If you have not worked with teak I understand why you don't understand teak and a top shelf varnish. I have worked with teak for years in Tennessee and seen other people use oil or let it gray and I will take my varnish any day. Now if I was in Florida then I might use something different.
  2. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

Understood. Here in SE Asia the weather is extremely harsh (UV, Humidity, high temp, rain and all in a single day) so you need at least a new coat every 2/3 months.

I envy you for taking on a project like that and I visit your site often to follow your progress. Cheers.
  3. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

With teak oil it is every 4-6 months out in the open, but with Epifanes Clear Varnish it is only once a year. I am a long time woodworker and I love the look of a varnished deck, Yes I know some of you would never do it but I am on inland lakes not the Great Lakes or North Sea, so walking on my decks when wet is easy. Not even bad with snow, witch we have had a lot of this year.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Most of the exterior teak work I'm familiar with is transoms, rails and trim. The process usually involved sanding it off and then 5 to 10 coats with sanding in between. Is that your intention every year or will you just add a coat?
  5. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I understand teak and teak decks pretty well I think. I owned a 42' GB and managed a fleet of them for 15 years.

Like I said, to each his own.

But I would never put varnish, or oil for that matter, on a teak deck. One of the main purposes of having a teak deck is it's natural non-skid qualities. So why would you want to mess that up with varnish. Not to mention that most varnishes, even top shelf ones, don't stand up that well to the abuse that a exterior deck gets.
    And then to have to go to the trouble of adding sand to the varnish to bring back some non-skid ability!?
    No thanks. I'll take a nice, clean, non-skid, natural silver gray teak deck any day.
  6. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

Bill,,, Ft. Lauderdale is not Tennessee. I love it there but no matter how many times of how different you say it I will always love a varnished deck. I use Epifanes Varnish and it only takes three coats.

Are we still talking about my varnished decks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  7. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I know. That is why I said, "to each his own".

It's yours, enjoy!

Just be careful not to slip bust your keyster. :)
  8. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

This boat spent many years in Ft. Lauderdale. That is where I fell in love with big boats. I use to go there to ride my jet ski when it was two cold here.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If you maintain varnish properly, you never had to sand it back down to the raw wood. As soon as you see it get a little dull, you just lightly sand it with 220 grit and put on another 2-3 coats of varnish. If you do this once a year (a little sooner in some climates), it will never discolor or peel to where you have to sand it all off and start over again. I worked on some boats where in a decade the varnish was never stripped, just added to and it looked fantastic.

I've managed some boats where the owners insisted on the sykens cetol marine. I don't like the look of it, but it saves cleaning the deck every 6 weeks. It is very slippery when wet. With the Cetol Marine, if you put more than 2 coats of color it looks muddy and nasty. The trick I've found with that was 2 coats for the color and then 2-3 coats of cetol clear. Then just re-clear it when it gets a little dull and you don't have to strip it either.
  10. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find it and what kind of price did they have on her?

Did you do the repower before moving it or did the PO have that already done?
  11. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I'm sure some people will hate me, I found about six quarts of Sikkens Cetol and I started to trow it away but I kept it. I use it to under coat the hard wood in the bath rooms and in cabinets and places where you don't see it much. I'm sure it is good for some people but I would never use it on teak. I'm not afraid of a little work but I only use Epifanes Clear Varnish on the outside. I am saying this to anyone you have never used Epifanes, you should try it once and you will kick yourself for not trying it sooner. I will block sand my decks and when I get then where I want then I only have to put one coat of Epifanes varnish a year.

I found her on Yacht World, she was in Jeffersonville, Indiana. They were asking 159.000 and I got her for a little bit less.
    The last owner Installed the new Cat's and Norpro 30kw I installed the Westerbeke 7.6

The boat has a lot of history under her I know by reading the logs she has been through the great loop at least three times, I need to reed more of the logs. The earliest was 1974-75 I don't have info or logs before 1974 I will soon post some of the logs in maybe someone may know the previous owner.

The last owner bought her from Mario in Nashville for $250,000 He gutted her in Nashville and then took her to Jeffersonville, Indiana to rebuild her. He put in the engines and generator and ran out of money. She has been sitting sense, really she has sitting for about fifteen years.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If I had a nickle for every time I heard that story in this business.:(
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Nickle? Try a penny and we'd be rich. I've seen so many project boats get started and never finished. Most people I guess don't realize how much work and money it costs, or they lose interest. I've actually seen this boat on the Tennessee river (end of 2008) when I was coming back from Chicago. It has nice lines. I'd get her seaworthy first and finish a cabin or two and use her a little bit so you don't lose interest and get a little enjoyment from it while you're working on her to keep things interesting. It looks like you're doing an amazing job. I wouldn't have it in me to restore an 18' Donzi unless it was for a customer, and they were paying for it. LOL
  14. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I did get my shore power last week after six months and about $2,500, but it is worth every penny. Now the real work can began.
    I making a bit of progress. I got in my electrical panels and I have been installing them, it will take a long time but they look great much better then the photos and are much safer. So far I have bought 3,600 feet of marine wire and will need more. I will be wiring for a long time.
    I got in my three Sealand 8759 toilets, I have to say they are the nicest marine toilet/head I have ever seen. they just as big as a land toilet and you can't hear them run. Toilet paper in the toilet is no problem. I have one Raritan Atlantes I may sell or put in the front for crew. I took a photo of the two next to each other so you can see the size of each of them. After seeing how the Sealand 8759 work so great I would never have anything but a Sealand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

Been a long time sense update. I love where we are going.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I have done a lot in fiberglass but this boat has taking my fiberglassing to another level. over a hundred gallons of resin and counting, two huge rolls fiberglass and so much sand paper I cant count.

I know you have to be real careful when you change things on a boat I do like my changes. I did change the lines a bit by raising the trunk and the new pilothouse windows, but I think this is for the better. I also removed the window in the front of the trunk and added nice sitting seats and stairs to the top of the trunk. I will be be putting the side windows back as soon as there ready. I also raised the roof over the walk way and will have no painted wood, it will be painted metal or or gelcoat.
  17. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

Looks really impressive.
    I wonder what keeps you going, I'd be found crying in the bilge more than once before I even got to half where you are now.
    How will you be applying the gelcoat?

PS I find the mirror effect on the slideshow on your webpage quite disturbing. Makes it difficult to see what is happening in the photo when there are tools lying around.
  18. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

If you want an anti-slip surface on your deck varnish throw in some sugar or salt before the last 2-3 coatings. The varnish wears on the edges of the grains first and rhe sugar/salt gets washed out leaving a rough antislip surface that is still perfectly transparent.. I would prefer salt.
  19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I looked at the website and saw that it was called Ductmate 1 in the mid 80's. I know the guy who was Skipper of it back then.

What a small world it really is.
  20. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

tirekicker11........... ( You ask how do I keep going )
    I wonder what keeps me going too sometimes, but I think it is you guys pulling for me and everyone saying I can't do it. I don't think I could do it without the support from everyone. I do understand It takes a long time and the labor will kill you. I have two guys that needed a place to stay one 36 one 41 both are great workers and work for what they need. They sleep in the crew quarters, they have what need and beer every afternoon and I get a lot of work done. one of the guys has been with me for about two years. The other I saw holding a sign. I knew him, he had been a cook for waffle house for years and got drugs lost job. But now with Bill as a room mate he is clean and works longer then all of us. (36) I could never do this without these guys. But I could find more guys all day long at the shelter that would love to have a place to live and work.

gelcoat.. Not sure I was going to try a roller. I am all ears to learn more from you guys.

I fixed the slideshow. Now regarding the tools lying around I would have to clean for the photos and photos would never get taken, it is often dark when we quit and clean up.... kinda it is what it is.

bernd1972 ........ I have heard of using sand, but the salt sounds better I will have to try that some day.

K1W1.......... I have some log books and this boat has been everywhere it seems like. I know at least three sets of engines. So there has been some major travel. I would love to to previous owners or people that knew this boat.