Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service

Restoring the LOST PERL

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Capt. Mike, Sep 28, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I'm at it again, In august I started my six boat restoration. Maybe this will be my last one. She is 1966 Gustafsson & Anderson 103' and her new name is the "LOST PERL". It should take me 2.5 years to get done. She has a lot of history under her. Built in Sweden and has been all over the world. The last few owners knew little to nothing about how to care and restore a yacht and now it's up to me. I own a little of land on the Cumberland river three miles from downtown Nashville. (mile 187) I have no power but my generator and a 40" bank to climb every day. I use some 1 1/3 black pipe to keep it off the rocks and rope to keep it there. I am starting my six week of owning her and it's not like I am at the boat dock. So doing the normal things like taking on and off the boat are not the easiest. Monday I started by hiring a 35 ton crane to finish removing the rest of the trash off her and installed my delta table saw, two router tables, new washer/dryer and 65 sheets of 3/4 plywood. One long day. Everything is going ok. I did sell my 62 foot Pacemaker and now I am kinda homeless after this week. Yes I could go to my farm or my girlfriends home, but I think I will just try to stay on the boat. Yes, the Lost Pearl even though it is not really the best yet. But this way she will be soon and I can work at least 12-14 hours a day on her or more. She needs me for now to be with her and I will not let her down.......

http://www.boghammar.se/index.html
    http://www.lostpearl.net/
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Ambitious project cap. Look forward to future posts. Good luck.
  3. Innomare

Innomare Senior Member

Good luck Captain! From the sound of it, I hope that girlfriend of yours doesn't soon become a "lost pearl". Having to compete against a restoration project can be difficult ;)
  4. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I don't think she will let that happen, but she will get more overtime at her work.
  5. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

Some things are coming together now
    All the rooms that were removed have been put back in but I bet I have better layout.

[​IMG][​IMG]

My teaks first coat is down at last. We have put in many hundred hours to get it to this point. It will be much easier to maintain now. I will put more varnish on in the spring, or some Tennessee warm days.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Just looked over the albumn on your site. She does have beautiful lines. I can see how you fell in love with her. I'm also seeing good progress. Thanks for the pics you post here and on your site. It's facinating to watch. It's also great to see a person who's not afraid of hard work even without a weekly paycheck to validate it. You obviously understand that success comes in many forms. Keep up the good work.
  7. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Wow! That boat should be quite something when you are done. My hat is off to you my friend. Keep up the good work and the posts.

What did you put on the decks?
  8. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I would never use anything but Epifanes Clear Varnish I learned that the hard way but now I know. If you have never used it then get you a small can and try it.
    for I only have one coat on the decks, but I will put more on in the spring.
  9. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I know I still have more work to do on my decks, but they are looking better.The best thing is there all sealed up with no leaks. [​IMG]
  10. Capt Bill11

I've used Epifanes for years. Great stuff.

But I would never put it on a deck. To each his own though.

Keep up the great work and posts.
  11. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

Why would you use a varnish and not an teak oil or sealer for a deck?
    Varnish gets slippery when wet and oil doesn't.

In the sunny but humid conditions over here you have to work very hard to keep your varnish looking good while oil just wears off.
  12. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

The last guy used a teak oil and that is why the decks became so bad. If I didn't a varnish then they would still leak.
  13. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I'm not familiar with varnish being used to stop leaky decks.
  14. Capt Bill11

+1 to that. Sounds like you've just Band Aiding a problem.
  15. tumbleweed tim

tumbleweed tim New Member

I wouldnt coat decks but if I did I would use Honey teak and put the sand crystals in the last clear coat. That will last and you reduce sliding on your butt. Also helps the caulk last.
    Nice Boat BTW. I was looking at an old feadship down in Florida awile ago. A 1964 86' MY that looked like a cool project. I have pictures of Sea Harmoney a sistership that has been re-fit. I called on it, they wanted 40K but the guy never returned my call. Now it is gone-off yachtworld. I hope someone will take that boat back to its original look. Good luck with your project.
    Tim
  16. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Are you talking about the one thats sinking at the end of the New River?
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Varnish, is like painting wood and will keep water from getting into the wood, the wood from absorbing the water, and water from getting in between the teak and caulking. Is it a bandaid, sure. But from the sounds of his website, he did it to temporarily fix any leakage, and make the boat more appealing to look at it when he steps on-board everyday to work on it so he doesn't lose interest.
  18. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

A decent sealer like Starbright will do the same. Plus it is a whole lot easier to slap on another coat of sealer than to touch up the varnish. Another benefit is that sealer is more flexible and won't crack on the caulking like varnish does.
  19. tumbleweed tim

tumbleweed tim New Member

She has a sister ship named Sea Harmoney. I am not familiar with Florida, so I can not say if it is at New River. On Yacht World it appeared to be tied to a dock in an industrial area.
  20. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

To stop decks leaks the only think you can do cut out where you see bad caulk and add new. that will get most of then but when your decks get this bad you need a little more. I live in TN and it's not like the south. The varnish will seal a small crack that you can't see with your eye. I also like the look of a varnished deck. If you go on it in the rain, then you must watch it. I fell on my other boat one time when I was in a hurry. Of course I may have fell with teak oil to. for the next few years I will keep the teak varnished and when I get everything else done I may go to teak oil.