Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay

Restoration of the Classic Sportfish; IdaMay

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by IdaMay, Jan 31, 2008.

1. IdaMay

IdaMay New Member

I love reading stories about classic yachts, their histories, and (hopefully successful) restorations. That's why my best friend and I took on the restoration of the Ida May, a 1926 46' sport fisher, once the pride and joy of Stan Laurel (of Laurel & Hardy fame). We've documented every step of our restoration (which is ongoing), and we aren't embarrassed to say we often get in over our heads. We've also gathered a ridiculous amount of history, with entertaining stories of movie stars, tycoons, and even a U.S. President fishing the waters of Catalina. Ernest Hemingway was inspired to write Old Man and the Sea while on the Ida May. The Ida May was once the fastest motor yacht in the world and hit 35 knots in 1926!

If you want to take a break for a few minutes, come take a look at what we've put together and visit our website. We would love your feedback and suggestions!

You can visit the site at http://www.idamay.org
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Welcome to Yacht Forums.

Thanks for sharing that great site with us.

What is the vessel using for engines now?
  3. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Fascinating website! Fabulous yacht. Thanks for sharing with us.
  4. IdaMay

IdaMay New Member

Planning Deere Engines but not sure if we should try to place the original Hall Scott LM6s.