Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross

Repowering a Bertram 46'

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by custint, May 13, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. custint

custint New Member

Has anyone repowered a Bertram 46'? If so what engines, HP and transmissions used. I would like to achieve a cruise of min 22knots. What hp will be required.
  2. RER

RER Senior Member

Cummins QSM11 about 600HP should get that deep vee Bertram up above 22 knots. And most importantly they'll fit.
  3. geocash

geocash New Member

I know that on the West Coast there are a couple with QSM 11s. I also saw one in Texas with 660hp cat 3196s that claimed 26 knot cruise. If you are tight on the budget you can always go with a pair of 550HP 6V92. You loose a couple of thousand pounds and probably the simplest to retrofit.

Sometimes you really need to evaluate if it is worth the cost and hassle to go a couple of knots faster. I really love my 46 and have it top notch with many upgrades. Still I cruise along at 19knots with the 8V71s.
  4. RER

RER Senior Member

I'm not sure I would go through the expense of changing out what I assume are now 8V71TI's for a pair of 6V92TA's. I would sooner overhaul the 8V71's. The 92 series won't even come close to the hours of service the 71's will give you. If I'm going to spend the money to re-power then I want a new generation 4 cycle, with higher H.P., lighter weight, less smoke and better fuel economy.