Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay

Repowering a 54' Donzi Sportfish

Discussion in 'Donzi/Roscioli Yacht' started by DOCKMASTER, Sep 5, 2019.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

+1+1
  2. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Got both gens loaded up pretty good and seems all well. The new electric steering is purged and on line. Feels pretty good. Maybe slightly more resistance than old system but that’s a good thing. The old hydraulics turned a bit too easy for my taste. 5 turns of the wheel lock to lock. If memory serves that’s about what the old system was.

New carpet continues to go in. Taking longer than expected but hard to keep everyone out of the way. And I don’t want to rush them as I want a good install.

Finalizing the install of the new drivers/transformers for the LED lights. We changed all the fixtures throughout the boat including getting rid of the 3 UFO looking saucer lights over the galley peninsula.

Anchor and rode reinstalled with windlass tested. We did an end-for-end on the rope and re-spliced to chain with the fresh end (former bitter end).Hung it from a crane with 1500 lbs on it to set the splice and test.

Dinghy goes back on tomorrow. All new wiring throughout dinghy, new VHF antenna and mount, fresh fuel and a carb tune. Put Slime in one chamber to seal a nuisance leak. We were able to roll the boat up on its side and back to get good coverage on the slime. 3 weeks now and holding great. Nouvarina wanted $6k for a new bladder. The slime cost about $30 I think . I figured why not try? We’ll see how long it holds. Also had a new cover made for the dinghy.

New cover for cockpit awning now installed.

Had some challenges programming the ZF Smart Command. Apparently they come from the factory assuming you are using joystick and pods. Got a hold of a good ZF Tech Guy and he not only talked es through it but texted us all the codes we needed. Cleared all errors and all seems good now. This system is pretty amazing with all the choices you have. There are like 10 time delay options for how fast you want to be able shift back and forth. Getting this kind of support is exactly why I bought stuff from places we have strong business relationships with. Spending millions a year with places like CAT and ZF has really helped us get first class device thus far. Of course, every customer should get great service but they are really Johnny on the spot to date.

Refer Tech scheduled for Saturday to charge and light off compressors for galley system and cockpit freezer. This, of course, was all rewired and install cleaned up.

Testing, testing, testing continues. CAT still on track for Monday morning.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Outstanding good news on all.
    100104~3.GIF
  4. mapism

mapism Senior Member

+1.
    We are all rooting for a very successful seatrial!
  5. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

CAT arrived first thing this morning as scheduled. They did the initial visual inspection and are very happy with the install. Working thru all the typical checks and bugs. First engine was just fired up a bit ago. Even though I only get to hear it over the phone right now, what a sweet sound!! Doubt she will get underway today but hopefully they get both fired up before end of day.

Had some trouble with cockpit freezer compressor. Somehow it ceased up while sitting there over the months. New one on order. Galley compressor fired up fine and is all charged up. Continuing to get thru testing and lots of little things. Carpet install is just in finishing details. Here's some pics of the new carpet and the new headliner with new LED fixtures installed. For the carpet, I was going for a classier, richer look vs. the Polynesian look the old palm frond design had. But I didn't want to go with a dark color. Keep in mind the sun is a rare thing up there so dark colors are depressing. :):)

IMG_3307.JPG IMG_3308.JPG IMG_3309.JPG IMG_3310.JPG IMG_3311.JPG
  6. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Very nice selection, I like the carpet pattern !
  7. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Thanks PB. I struggled with the selection. I kept being drawn to darker colors that would likely look more expensive. But I just couldn't put a dark color in given where we do our boating. But, of course, I got final sign-off from the boss (wife) on this selection. Happy wife, happy boating :):)

Hoping to hear the boat gets away from the dock on its own power today. One engine fired up yesterday, hoping for the other this morning. Apparently these C-18's are a bit challenging to get the fuel systems primed. We had fuel up to the engines prior to CAT arrival but the on engine fuel system still took awhile. The STBD side should go easier since that fuel system is shorter and doesn't plumb over like the PORT side does.
  8. mapism

mapism Senior Member

What sort of floor do you have under the carpet?
    As far as I can tell from your pics, the wooden floor under the vacuflush looks nice.
    If you've got the same finishing also elsewhere, I would have very been tempted to leave bare wood with no carpet, at least in the saloon, if not also in the cabins - but that's me, obviously.
    Anyway, I'd never dare arguing with the 'happy wife, happy boating' principle, that's for sure! :)
  9. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Wood floor in both heads and galley only. Salon is carpet. I thought about wood for the salon but decided against. I need the warmth of carpet and wanted extra sound protection. You have to keep in mind, 70F is a heat wave where I am. Warm carpet is a must IMHO.
  10. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Good point.
    I'm so used to spend my time onboard barefoot and in shorts, that I never think about this drawback of your cruising grounds...
    Which other than that are stunning, anyway!
  11. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Finished installing new mahogany wide-planking in my sportfish one afternoon. Hot and dirty I went in to announce that I was finished and took a shower. Wife surprised me when I came out dressed for dinner by telling me to come out and take a look at my work, that she had cleaned it all up for me while I was bathing. kicked my shoes off (now socks) as I entered. So beautiful, so well done her cleaning. Took a few steps and slipped and fell on my ass. She used Pledge on a mop to clean and shine the floors.

What can you do...
  12. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Thanks for a lighter moments of boating lesson :)

I see lots of beautiful wood floors covered with rugs, runners and the like. I personally don't mind the feeling of a nicely padded carpet on bare feet, quite relaxing and comfortable.
  13. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Early trials info. This is from texts from the electrician. They are still out running so this is all I have so far:

WOT - 2360 rpm and 34 knots
    2346 rpm and 33.2 knots at 96% load and 59 gph per side
    200o rpm and 26 knots at 80% load
    1600 rpm and 17 knots at 60% load

that’s all the info I have at this point. This is a significant improvement. I’m very happy. I’m also relieved we are not over propped. This is full fuel, water and 6 guys aboard. Probably 300 #’s or so of stuff still to go back on but nothing heavy.
  14. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Forgot to mention- CAT guys say they are very happy thus far
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

This is outstanding.
    Don't forget my bourbon..
    dancinggator.gif
  16. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

So you hit that cruise target of 26 knots, and beat your top speed number by 2 knots.

I am curious how it would do by going to the next larger Interceptor color, it seems you have a tiny bit more to pull out of the wot rpm, maybe get it down to 2350?

This has been my favorite thread on YF, thanks for the ride !
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

300# I think is a small number. After the closets are full of clothes and rain gear, tackle, rods-reels, my bourbon, others beer, bait, live bait water, ice in the box, and much more,,,, the next serious trip out may be 3000# more and looking for RPM. I'm hoping the torque of those monsters will keep the RPM up.
    We will know soon, Next fishing trip is soon (really hope soon)...

I know my invite is in the mail...
    bottle.gif
  18. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Yeah, I’ll get all the detail data, get everything back on the boat and load her to the gills. I’ll run it for the season keeping good notes. Then may tweek the Interceptor strips a bit.
    I couldn’t be happier. Especially with the 80% load speed results.
    My guys also said she runs smooth as silk. At WOT temps held Steady at 185/186.
    Still some details to wrap up. I fly up in 2 weeks to see it and run it for 10 days. Can’t wait!!
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We can not wait either.
    I assume Da Boss (Da wiffie) will be with you,, Need pictures of both of your faces when the throttles are pushed...

tenor_gif5501024835015097608.gif
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Those are excellent numbers and I think higher than you were expecting, I remember you hoping for a 24 knot cruise if I remember correctly. I'm guessing you're going to add a few thousand pounds of stuff. Clothes, beer, food, gear, etc...... I would keep the props right where they are.....as it's best to run a tad underpropped than overpropped......even though the C18's are 2300 rpm engines....... I think you'll get more speed playing with the trim tabs at 80% load, 1-2 knots more, as the difference between 2000 and 2360 is a bit more of a speed spread than you normally see.......Also performance will drop a tad when water temps and air temps get higher in August and as everything ages over the years.