Click for Nordhavn Click to Save Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Burger

Repowering 290 tournament

Discussion in 'Luhrs Yacht' started by DRL, Apr 21, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. DRL

DRL New Member

Looking to repower an older (1993) 290 tournament. Current original configuration, marine power 5.7 engines. Looking for any reviews of MP 5.7 Sportpac MPI w/71C transmission and/or alternative repowering recommendations.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

SBCs are near the same since their beginning. The exhaust manifolds, hang on junk and paint set the vendors apart.
    Service access is what is important (IMO). Remote oil filter. Access to the zincs and belts.

I fished a few Luhrs, Gas & diesel.
    Once the diesel got it's RPM & boost up, it ran pretty good, but the small block Chevy (SBC) always felt it was lacking umpah.
    Tug boat wake in the St Johns river or against the inlet current amplifys this. You wanted to help push the boat sometimes.

If you are re-powering, let me ask you;
    Does your boat slow down a good bit going up a swell?
    Hard to get on plane when fully loaded?

Not for speed but more power may be needed. Power/torque comes from cubic inches.
    You may want to consider the newer small block designs (up to 6.2L) or think about a large block (over8.2L) package.

I luv spending other peoples money, but if your boat is a keeper and you feel like you need to get out and push/help sometimes, a larger block may help.