Click for Northern Lights Click for Furuno Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder

Renew a USCG 100 ton ticket..Test or no test?

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by Norseman, Mar 28, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

That seems like a lot of experience to only have a 100 ton ticket.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Sorry my friend. Really didn't mean you in particular. Anybody who brings a snailboat up the New River obviously knows a bit. In general though I've seen some pretty bad boathandlers who got a ticket by being on board to watch someone do it. Imagine if they didn't even have to be on board to see it done but could just sit in a classrom for a few hours.:eek:
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Yeah it does. Especially when you consider that to "helm" a tanker or bulker all over the planet requires one to hold an AB unlimited ticket which takes 1080 days at sea ... enough to sit for a 500 ton license.

This is one of those CV claims that has red flags plastered all over it.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Maybe/Maybe not. There are many captains out here who stay at 100GT so they can work the small boats. When people see big tonnage they tend to feel the person is too 'rough' for handling small boats and close quarters with the wife and kiddies. 100 ton is seen as ideal experience for coastal and island running on boats around 60' or so. 6 pack to 50 ton is for water taxi's and over 100 ton you're expected to be on a large yacht or commercial ship. Personally, I enjoy the small boat work and wouldn't move up my tonnage.
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

That's a good one Cap. I have heard a lot of reasons why people don't climb the ladder but that one earns a place in the hall of shame. :rolleyes:

Like I said, that CV has enough red on it to make the bulls of Pamplona take a detour.

Especially when the original post stated getting enough seatime to upgrade from 50 ton. Someone who has been in the business long enough to get an AB wouldn't ask that kind of question and wouldn't have jumped through the hoops just to get a 50 ton ticket when a 500 is there for the asking. Think about the timeline on this one for a moment ... it just doesn't wash.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Although I figured it out on my own I won't take credit for it as that sentiment was actually put forth in Yachting Magazine back in the 90's when someone asked about finding a captain to move their boat. Being overqualified is as bad as being underqualified when looking for work.
    Some people would rather be a big fish in a small pond rather than a small fish in a big pond. When I changed careers (20+ years ago) I remember seeing a captained 60' yacht filled with bikinis cruising on Miami Vice and saying 'that's what I want to do'. There was never any desire to run a 200' yacht, just make a living, be good at what I do and enjoy life. So far it's worked out pretty well.
    BTW, before anybody starts talking about 'fun & games' I have paid a lot of dues along the way and take my responsibilities very seriously, but that's another story.
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Just because you don't want to run a big boat is no reason to avoid education and training. Having had a good run at both aviation and the maritime industry I can tell you I have met few professionals in either area who have not worked very hard to improve their skills and qualifications. most of us clawed our way to the highest tickets available as a matter of professional pride and personal satisfaction as well as to increase our earning potential. I simply don't buy the "overqualified" fairy tale.

Do you go to a PA rather than a board certified physician? Do you prefer to have a private pilot fly you around rather than an ATP? Do you look for a legal aid when you need a lawyer? I doubt there are many owners or underwriters who think a 100 ton beats an unlimited master in way of qualifications, knowledge, or training. The "too rough" story comes from a bunch of poseurs on a waterfront barstool and should remain there ... it has no validity in real life.

Your reasons for not upgrading are your own, and my guess is lack of tonnage or funds. This doesn't raise the kind of flags that the original poster is waving and this discussion is not about you or your choices.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Actually, if I need stitches, blood drawn, a broken bone set, etc. I do indeed prefer a PA or RN. MD's rarely consider it important enough to practice the lower ends of their craft (personal experience-the job's not done til I bleed :D plus my wife spent many years in the field). For a lawyer I would generally prefer a legal aid and direct the action myself. Get a big lawyer for a small matter and you just get a big bill, but seldom a good result unless he's a relative. It's just not worth their time to care. I'd really wonder what a pilot certified to fly 747's was doing at the controls of a small charter plane and I'd be giving him a breathalizer for sure. So yes indeed there is such a thing as over-qualified. As for my tonnage sea time and funds, both have been adequate to upgrade, but not to open ocean unlimited. Basically, I could run 60' bikini filled boats and go home most nights or I can work deck or helmsman on a 150' or 200'. If I were 18 and starting out I might make a different choice, but I like where I've taken my life.
    If you read back on the original poster you'll see that he doesn't make his living on boats although he may or may not have once. Now this seems to be a sideline; more just a matter of holding a license for personal satisfaction and picking up a little work here and there.
  9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Aye Mate, hope you are not calling me a liar..?

I did not post a CV on this here board, nor was I looking for a job or trying to pump up my quals, just stating facts:

Let me start with the basics: My screen name, or Handle on this here board is NorseMan. It kind of hints I am from the old country, Norway.

In Norway I started out going to sea when I was 14 years old..Not legal back then in the 70s but my dad was the Chief Steward on this 3000 ton passenger ship and I spent my school vacations peeling potatoes in the galley and scrubbing pots and pans. More than I ever wanted to remember, but it was kind of "fun"..Girls and booze was involved, fun for a 14 going on 15 year old.

Not wanting to make a career of peeling potatoes I went to mechanic school and got enough shop time by the time I turned 17 to take a job in the engine room of a 31,500 ton Chemical Tanker as a "greaser" or "oiler". ( Called different things in different countries.) Did 2 tours on that ship totaling 210 days, cleaning filters, scrubbing parts and pieces, cleaning donkey-boilers and crank-cases of 12,000 HP 2 stroke Sulzers.

Got enough Sea Time doing that to "upgrade" to O.S. in the Norwegian Merchant Marine: Next ship was a 228,000 ton Super Tanker which I "Helmed" into port and back out again..Obviously it was under the Supervision of the Harbour Pilot, the Mate and the Skipper..

Perhaps you have to be an A.B. in the US Merchant Marine to help a ship, but not where I came from.

Long story short..did 2 more big ships as an O.S. then went to shore and started driving taxi cabs in Norway..Used the cab money to pay for Flight School and became and aviatior.

Bought sail boats later and lived on and sailed..Got a USCG ticket since 1985.
    Not sure I need to explain myself or justify being only a 100 ton Captain.

Have many years flying as a Captain on B-747 jumbos, that kind of got in the way of upgrading my USCG ticket.
  10. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

And I can attest to that, as we have a friend in common who is a captain for United. A darn good Extra 300S pilot as well.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That's un-true. I know of a Captain that held a 1600 ton unlimited master and downgraded to a 500 ton master, because he was running yachts and the extra expense and classes needed to renew his license the last time were way too costly to justify the expense. Keep in mind to upgrade to a 200 ton or 500 ton master you need a certain amount of seatime OVER 100 gross tons in the last 3 years, as well as spending a lot of money in various classes. So sometimes older Captains do downgrade their license because they no longer wish to Captain yachts over 100' and don't want to incur the expense of carrying the license with all of the additional courses that are now needed.

Why are you always questioning other people? Are you that insecure?
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Thanks Carl..Finally getting some credibility here....:D

Actually our common friend flies for AA, Captain B-767..Spent time at his ranch in Wellington this past weekend and we solved quite a few problems under the influence and the world is a better place now..;) :D
  13. YachtForums

American? I thought he flew United, but it's been 10 years since I flew with Dag. Give him my best next time you're solving the world's problems. BTW... did he ever finish building that RV-4 (RV-6?) he was partners in?
  14. YachtForums

Norseman, your last post was removed. It wasn't necessary. Let's all return to our regularly scheduled thread...
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That would be?????;) Oh yeah, has anybody actually been able to renew their license without sea time?
  16. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Uh, no..He stopped the building process..Got a bunch of nicely finished pieces in the hangar...(You interested..A good deal for you my friend;) )

Bought a 2 seat Pitts instead, 260 HP...:D Go look him up and go for a flight upside down.

Uh, yeah, just thought I give a little since I was taking flak with a smile.;)
  17. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Ooops, I just now looked at his profile:

Marine Engineer...:rolleyes:

Probably a frustrated Captain who never got around to taking the test, donning 4 stripes and taking command of a big boat surrounded by bikini girls and respectful Engineers..:p

(Sorry guys, I just come onboard here to have fun and share good and bad experiences, not expecting to be attacked or having my quals questioned, nothing against Marine Engineers, many of my uncles and cousins spent their adult life in the engine room of big and small ships, been there and done that myself)

Back to the thread..Yeas, ya can get the ticket renewed without documenting sea time or taking the USCG Exam.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.