Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights

Renew a USCG 100 ton ticket..Test or no test?

Discussion in 'Licensing & Education' started by Norseman, Mar 28, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Coming up on the magic date again.

Guess I have the choice of taking a test or documenting sea-time?

Last time, 5 years ago I had enough recent sea-time to not only renew
    but also to upgrade from 50 to 100 tons.

This time I am pretty lean on recent experience and will have to dig pretty
    deep to find enough days @ sea.

Question: How is the test? Same as initial or an easier and perhaps "open book" test....?

I do have a few months left and could get the sea-time by taking my boat to the Exumas for 4 weeks and do other stuff to get the required time, but curious on the test or exam..Anybody done that one recently?

Located Fort Lauderdale, this will be the 4th issue.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The test has not changed much. But, if you have the proper seatime all you have to do is submit it. Which is much easier, but taking the test and studying for it would not be time wasted either IMO. Don't forget you also need to get a TWIC card before renewing which takes about 4 weeks, between scheduling your first visit and waiting for the card to come in and scheduling another appointment to re-instate it. As well as the drug test and physical.
  3. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

I have been reading reports on another board that there are very long turnaround times due to the paperwork going to a central processing center as opposed to review in your local REC. Get the stuff in way ahead of time.
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Got that already..Thanks for the reminder to bring it though..:eek:

Same test as initial..?
    (Was hoping the renewal test would be easier, OR "Open BooK"...Not ?)

Speaking of sea time...I forgot: 90 days in 5 years or 360 days in 5 years or what..? (Yeah I could go to the USCG web page but this is easier...Lazy is my middle name..:D )
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I went to the Miami center for my renewal and they didn't even ask to see my TWIC card. Nor a copy of it for my renewal. They did do fingerprints at the Miami office.

My turnaround time was less then 10 days from when I submitted my license renewal until I had my renewed license in the mail. But, I had over 1,000 days of documented seatime from several sources which might have helped pass it through quick because they didn't have to research it much.

I didn't think the initial 100 ton test was very difficult. I scored over 95% in every portion. But, I think the test is the same as the initial.
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Uh okay...I scored good on the initial test as well, but I sure as hell don't want to do it again: Hard work it was.

(Acutally I screwed up: Got my 6-pack in St. Croix back in 1986, then 5 years later I let it expire. Went to school for my 50 ton in 1999 and realized the test, etc had changed..Much more difficult this time around and I had to cram for the exam...Not good..:rolleyes: )
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Hey Norseman,
    It is open book, but "comprehensive". you should find the requirements here:

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/renewal_guide.asp#rr
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I'm pretty sure the USCG transfered all license processing to a central location a year or two ago supposedly to improve processing times (it was 3 to 4 months in Miami a couple of years ago); last year it was down to around a month.

the tests are a joke, whether the OUPV or the 100T. The only thing about the 100T is that there are a few things you never use and forget quickly (like load lines and stability questions) so you may want to brush up on that. For the 100T, a good chunk of the questions cover regulations (equiment, etc...) and that part is open book using CFRs.

I assume that for a 100T renewal they will include OPUV stuff like nav rules, and even thought that test requires a 90% passign score, it should be easy for just about anyone with minimum time on the water.
  9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Okay and thanks Gents.

Will have to ask around what they mean with comprehensive...:confused:

Don't have enough sea-time this time around to log 360 days, only done a few Exuma cruises on my boat and a few local deliveries now and then, nothing big and nothing full-time..

I need to brush up on everything, heck I have to move my lips when I read "Red-Right-Returning" :D

I saw on the USCG page Capt. New York provided above that one can do an "approved" refresher course in lieu of an exam or the required sea-time, will shop around for such a course and hopefully it will not be too "Comprehensive" :cool:

Thanks again and beer is on me....(After I get my ticket renewed.:p )
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'd assume Sea School will have it.
  11. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yeah, and we also have this one

http://www.mptusa.com/

Did my course there 10 years ago and was pretty impressed with the organization.

Been there many times since to look at the job-board and to get another T-shirt.
    (We were told the day before the final exam that it would be good luck to purchase a company T-shirt from the onboard store..The teacher said so with a stern face, and most of us bought the T-shirt because, uh, ya never know...:( )

I passed with a good grade and get another T-shirt every 2 or 3 years for good measure, and to chat with the friendly staff about this, that and the other.
    The place feel like home..Highly recommended and I hope they run one of these courses pretty soon.

Best of all, they are only 5 minuttes from my house. :cool:

I could and should have stopped by to ask about the renewal, but did it on this here board instead...
    Got a free T-shirt here after all, thanks Carl.:D
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Um, about that job board...
    :eek: :rolleyes:
  13. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

yeah, yeah..I know..

Not too active in the Yachting business these days.

My primary gig is flying airplanes and the last 4 or 5 years I have been airborne with a pay-check, hence not enough boating to keep meh ticket valid..

That being said, a few years ago there was plenty jobs here in Fort Lauderdale: Some of the jobs was driving boats, but many more deck-hand and non-skilled..Great opportunity for a youngster wanting to get some sea time and make a few bucks while learing the trade.

Quiet lately however: Broker and surveyor friends are on a diet these days..So are the yards: In the past there was a waiting list for yard hauls and contractors and high-end carpenters. Nowadays you don't have to wait long for experts and contractors to call ya back. :eek:
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Unfortunately,this is not something that is just confined to Sth Florida at the moment.
  15. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Norseman

if you had helped your neighbor taking that beautiful sailboat to the bahamas, you would have had more days for your renewal :)
  16. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Ha-ha, you of course are correct Sir, but there was not enough money printed to for me to take that piece of piece of xxxx down the river and across the Gulfstream..Allah knows I was offered good money to do it, but I could not look myself in the mirror the next morning if I took it..:D

Lean times all over it..Hell of a good time to buy stuff instead. Fire sale at condos behind Fort Lauderdale Marine Center up the New River...These condos sold for $200K 3 years ago, now ya can get one for $50K..
    http://www.marinaoakscondos.com/
    Unbelivable and good investment I hope..Putting my money where my mouth is.:cool:
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Wait a minute Norseman. How much of a cut were you planning to take or did you figure you'd collect the whole thing after the delivery crew died?:cool:

And now your selling condos. Hmmmmm.
  18. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Aye, no cut to me..I was just glad to get rid of the boat..

Forgot the details, but I think there was more money involved than $1,200.00
    The mate got $600, and the skipper more than that, plus money for airfare.

Wrong again Sherlock, not selling condos, just informing the esteemed readership on these pages of an oportunity..:D

Contact any realtor for the MSL listing on those condos..The cheap units I am talking about are all forclosures and some short-sales..Some of those are listed at $45K. There is about 140 available that the owners walked away from after the bubble burst..Some Europeans are buying for investment, picking up 2 and 3 at the time.

Shouldn't you be out on the water driving boats now instead of sitting in front of the 'puter and undoubtedly surfing web pages of questionable moral character.? :D
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Did a short job yesterday and have a run on Friday. Just waiting for season to start (If it does). Who knows, we all may be hustling condos in a few weeks.:eek:
  20. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Not sure there is any money in selling condos or anything else these days.
    My realtor has not had a closing in months.

The beauty of a chaep condo is renting it out, then having a positive cash flow of $400 to $500 per month as the mortgage rates are low and the purchase price is low...Then when the economy swings around, real estate prices should increase and one could sell with a tidy profit.

That is the theory anyway...Your milage may vary..;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.