Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Delta

Refrigerator

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by Captdavidh, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Captdavidh

Captdavidh New Member

Moved to SF Bay area in 06 to save a business and
    I just purchased a '73 58' motor yacht and need to replace a magic chef refrigerator. With all trim removed from the wheelhouse I have 20". Anyone have a recommendation on a plain, quality AC refrigerator that will fit. I removed the doors from the old one and I had about 1/8" clearance.
    Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    David
  2. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

If you're looking for a simple AC only fridge, have you checked into apartment sized units with the doors removed?
  3. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

That is the only answer short of removing a window
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have replaced the refrigerator on 2 hatteras' over the years. A 58' Yachtfish (essentially a 53' with a cockpit) and a 75' Hatteras (65' Hatteras with an extension).

On the 58' We did indeed remove a window and got the old one out and new one in that way. It's the only way to replace the refrigerator with a proper size unit without going to a subzero. However this is going to take 3-4 good sized guys to get it in and out.

On the 75' we cut up the old one with a sawzall to get it out, and subzero makes a properly sized one that is taller and a little more narrow with a refrigerator door on top and two drawers on the bottom and it is sized to fit through the door. However it is also in the neighborhood of $7k. We also built a shelf to take up the space on the side of the subzero where it was narrower then the opening. BUT, it is an amazingly functional refrigerator.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Which 58? Galley down or up? On the galley down 53/58 as you know it comes down to very little clearance. The home depot website has a good search function where you can set max height and width.

I m considering replacing my 16 year old GE and there are a couple of GE that fit. Otherwise if budget isn't an constraint go for sub zeros
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 58' YF we did it on was a galley down and the fridge came through the starboard pilot house window and down the staircase at an angle. if I remember properly. We could have gotten it in the 2 aft deck doors, BUT still needed the window out to angle it down the staircase.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

the 58YF is identical to the 53MY except for the stern... firdge has to come out thru the stairs, you can't angle it any way since there isnt' enough clearance unless it goes thru straight and without the doors. once it's up by the helm, it can go out the aft deck doors. tghere are no windows by the stairs to angle it out.
  8. cwatridge

cwatridge New Member

We have a 1984 Hatteras ED that we cut the old refrigerator up with a saw and found a Fischer/Paykal on sale at Lowe's. We had a 24 inch clearance and took the door off and loosened the condensor frame and got it in (barely) without tearing anything up. Good luck!
    C watridge
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, the starboard pilot house window is directly over the staircase going down to the galley. The one we put in was a full size 26 cu ft. kenmoore
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

you're taking about pulling the forward windshield window? interesting approach.. i mean interesting EXIT! not sure i see the point, sicne the hard part is to get it up the stairs, once it's there, woudlnt' bother lifting vertically since you have teh doors on the aft deck.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The boat had an enclosed aft deck. It would not go down the stairs otherwise because the corner would get stuck on the window.....the yard installed the refrigerator and removing and rebedding the window was easy........