Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Walker

Rebuild vs Repower

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by ntavila, Jun 6, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If your new found best friend, (new mechanic) is at least recognized in the circles of the diesel shops, You will get better warranty service from the original Detroit parts.
    On your injectors, DO NOT EXCHANGE them. Take them to a shop that can POP them and fix what you have. Relibuilt and piles of aftermarket suppliers are having problems delivering a set of injectors that work. Find that local shop that can POP them and match the pattern and flow. It may cost a few more pennys up front, but save a ton of bux if any one of them is NOT rite when you lite er up.
    Stay in touch. Send pictures. I love to peek into other ERs.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

In general Federal Mogul has always made good internal parts, however I think I would go with DD parts with the internals to preserve warranty issues. However, they'll always point fingers if it comes apart and try to deny coverage.

That being said I agree with the RCRAPPS on the injectors as the DD reliabilt injectors have been crap the last few years. Everglades diesel in ft. laud does a good job at rebuilding injectors. I even had the service manager at one of the DD dealers tells me that they virtually no injector failures when they rebuilt them in house, and have been having many more instances in the last several years with the reliabilts.....
  3. ntavila

ntavila New Member

Thanks RC. The plan is to have the injectors reworked, but for head, pistons, sleeves, etc, wondering if Federal Mogul would be ok. Turns out the warranty is better on Federal Mogul than on Detroit parts. But in my opinion the warranty does you know good if you have to sideline the boat to have bad parts replaced constantly. That's why I am wondering if anyone has experience with Federal Mogul.

I'll have to buy a new head (no way to salvage it) the difference is about a 25% savings, which would be good only if the aftermarket parts are reliable.

I'll post pics of the head soon. Look like I really tweaked it. :mad:
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

OUCH
    Hate it when that happens.
    I have heard good things about the guys at Gold Coast Power regarding RTO and rebuildable heads.
  5. ntavila

ntavila New Member

Here's the pic of a beat up head. Since it took me a couple weeks to find a mechanic, it rusted over pretty good. It's amazing how quickly rust sets in. Also a pic of a visual crack in the valve.

Attached Files:

6. ntavila

ntavila New Member

Good to hear! This is the place where the mechanic suggested taking mine.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What mechanic did you decide to use....you can PM it to me.....just curious........is it Bill A.?
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Is that salt (white ring) or water corrosion around the water passage?
  9. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

about two years ago i had a 4K estimate for a 671 TIB head from JnT direct with core and a charge if the exchange head did not have the J valves.
    I think it was $70 charge for each missing J valve.

I ended up having my head rebuilt locally and i think the cost was about 2K.

I did have to wait a little longer for parts than i wanted to.