Click for Glendinning Click for Comfort Click for MotorCheck Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

Raymarine G-series experiences?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by goplay, Mar 14, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. goplay

goplay Senior Member

Does anyone have direct experience with the Raymarine G-series?

I have had Raymarine on past boats, and out of inertia (and simply because I knew how to use them) I had the E-series on my most recent. I have had great service from Raymarine in the past but I am not without some complaints about the product, particularly on the refresh rate, and the OK-only radar.

The G-series claims to have addressed a lot of issues, and seems to offer the latest radar features with their super HD scanners (like dual simultaneous range) that Furuno has with the their 3D. I've also heard about some bugginess around the new Furuno product.

So while it would be great to leverage my experience with the Raymarine product line-up and not go through any learning curve, I would like to hear from folks who have had experience with Raymarine G-series... and also those who think I could definitely do much better!

Thanks!
  2. Highlander

Highlander New Member

I have been looking too

I have been looking for the next chart plotter. You are right about the speed of the E series. Compared to my 1999 Northstar 961 XD , the latest E is no faster and a bit clumsy to operate.
    My experience with Raymarine service has been very good. They fixed my radar and had it back within a week, including software updates.
    The G series looks like a real computer and should have more power than the E (looks like an update to the 961 !)
    OK early adopters, who has used this stuff?

Carl
  3. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Goplay,
    I did a product review for one of the magazines I write for on the new Raymarine G series. Took a ride during FLIBS on a 65 Ocean fully fitted with several G-series displays and all other Raymarine items.
    I was very surprised to see a much faster refresh rate as compared to the E-series. Nice vivid colors in bright daylight. The G-series is meant for larger vessels, as the screens are large and the brains of the system take some space under the helm or in a closet.
    Here's a shot of the helm.

Attached Files: