Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for MotorCheck Click for Delta Click for Cross

Quotes from YF posts

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by JWY, Mar 18, 2021.

1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Well there's another ouch. I was thinking a razor blade scraper like you use to remove stickers. Push it in and rotate left and right. just add patience. Lots of patience, but not finger nails.
  2. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yes, I know what you meant, got 20 + years as a boat owner, been there done that in many cases, but always learning new stuff, or re-learning because I am not as smart as I look. :D

Here is the razor blade tool I used trying to remove good old 5200:

040CFCF9-087A-4865-BE91-F4D1A0FBA6EF.jpeg
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yep that's the one. But did you add patience to it.?:D
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I did, I tried, but the darn 5200 is like a bullet proof rubber band, can’t pull or cut it..
    Some patience, but had to lay on the dock, at high tide trying to clean the surface for the new fitting.
    A labor of love, I am telling you..❤️
  5. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Seems to me they did not need re-bedding, given they were such a PIA to remove...did you see water intrusion?
    $&@“...man you looking for work ?!?
    Let them be IMO ...but to late now .
  6. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

To remove a thru hull fitting;
    Ya can take a saw zaw and cut right up into the fitting , long ways at two points opposite each other carefully cutting it just into where it meets the hull. Then chisel it out with a few whacks with a hammer . Comes out in two pieces ..
    This is for bronze or plastic.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Good question.:D Put a Sawzall up to the side of a fiberglass boat?:eek: Maybe cut it with a rotary tool but a Sawzall is pretty heavy duty. However it doesn't sound like he was replacing them, just re-bedding, in which case he won't want them in two pieces. Which brings us back to the one with 5200 sounding like it was bedded pretty well already. When I read that push pull part I half-expected to read behind it that it came off with a hunk of the hull.
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Easy there Tiger: I did not remove and re-bed these things because I was bored and had nothing else to do...

Hauled the tub June last year for a bottom job and a prop change.
    Also called a surveyor to come and sound the hull, check for any water intrusion and/ or delimitation.
    He found some moisture around these mushroom through hulls, nothing big, but he recommended I re-bed them some time in the future.
    Well, the future was yesterday and I pulled all 6, replaced 4 and re-bedded them all.
    Now I sleep better and life is good.

(The hull is solid glass glass right there, I thought it was cored, hence I did all that to make sure nothing bad was going on. :eek:)
  9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Since this thread started with jokes...

This is the 4 types of orgasms:
    1) A positive orgasm: Oh Yes, Oooh yes, Oooh yes...
    2) A negative orgasm: Oh no, Oooh noo, Oh nooo...
    3) A religious orgasm: Oh Jesus, Oooo Jesus, Ooooo God..,
    4) A fake orgasm: Oh Captain, Oooh Captain, Oooh Captain....

:cool:
  10. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

That’s is smart and no joke !
    Prudent thing to do. Something I never thought of.
  11. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

It’s all in how you handle your tool NYCAP..., it’s all in how you handle your tool...:cool:
    I removed both main engine and generator thru hulls on my boat this way. 24 tooth 9” blade with finesse did the trick. Got them out rather quickly. And that’s no joke!:rolleyes:
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You've got more courage than me. Maybe I just don't use my tool enough.:( I might be more inclined to drill it out.:D
  13. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Drill it, ream it, cut it, soak it, smack it, beat it. What ever “it” it takes to get it done!
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Which is precisely why you use 5200 on them (like the one you couldn't remove) and NOT that other cheap crap silicone that was used on the other 5!!!!!!!

If they're metal and replacing them just put a giant set of water pump pliers on the nipple and give it a twist in a circle and that will usually break the 5200 free......
  15. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

No cheap crap silicone Capt J.
    Jeez, are we all drinking now and being drama queens?
    Read the above and see where I was guessing 3M 101 rather than silicone.;)
    Silicone makes a gasket, it is ok, but not sure I would use it down there close to the water line.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

\No I am saying the origional 4 thru hulls that came out easily were probably bedded with something like silicone.
  17. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Roger, I heard you loud and clear, but too me, the easy caulk looked more like 101 than silicone.
  18. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

You know what they say about 5200, only use it where it will never be removed.
  19. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yeah, I am quite familiar with 5200..
    I have only used it a few times, on stuff that should never come off.
    At least I thought so at the time 20 years ago.
    An underwater SSB bronze grounding plate comes to mind, a rudder repair where strength and no leaks was important also comes to mind.
    The above items will probably never be removed for routine maintenance and subsequent re-bedding.
    Hope not..:confused:
  20. mapism

mapism Senior Member

More than by the sealant used, I'm rather puzzled by the surveyor suggestion.
    Ok, he found some moisture around those thru-hull, but so what?
    I'm very skeptic that anything will change after rebedding them, to be honest.

Unless the hull above the waterline IS indeed cored, as you expected.
    If you said that it's instead solid just based on how it looked inside after removing the mushrooms, it's possible that it was glassed solid only in a small area designed for fitting them, but it's actually cored all around.
    Which could also be the reason for high moisture reading nearby, because while I don't think the mushrooms per se were the culprit, their different thermal behaviour could facilitate the formation of some internal condensation nearby, within any possible air bubbles left inside cored areas.
    Then again, also in this case I wouldn't hold my breath for any post-rebedding improvements.

Who built the boat, and how old is she, if I may ask?