Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Perko

Quadriplegic Gentleman to Sail the Atlantic

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by brian eiland, Dec 10, 2009.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Geoff Holt: Atlantic Challenge & Disability Sports Ambassador

Leaving Today!
    10th December 2009, Geoff Holt embarks on Personal Atlantic, setting sail on a 60ft, purpose-built, wheelchair-accessible catamaran on a voyage across the Atlantic Ocean. The 3,000 mile journey will take him up to a month to complete, across some of the most hostile waters in the world.

In completing his Challenge, Geoff Holt will become the first quadriplegic to make the journey, unassisted in every aspect of the sailing.

Impossible Dream is a wheelchair accessible catamaran of unique design

Follow his trip and look at the videos on his website:
    http://www.geoffholt.com/
  2. brian eiland

3. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

That's outstanding! I wish him the best in his trip, and making the dream come true. Safe sails, and adventures and a welcomed and successful return.
  4. brian eiland

Phil Weld challenged the Gulf Stream

Hopefully he will not encounter some extreme weather front as we've seen on the east coast of USA already this year. I hit one of these a number of years ago, but fortunately I was running with it out towards Bermuda rather than sailing into it.

As the Gulf Stream gets north it branches out into many eddies that manifest themselves in a circular motion that can produce freak local waves. Phil Weld experienced this in is trimaran years ago in an OSTAR race aboard Gulf Streamer. He was flipped over by one of these freaks, and subsequently named his new boat Rogue Wave..that's Moxie

http://www.newfilmco.com/acbook.htm

http://www.wingo.com/newick/moxie/index.html
  5. brian eiland

6. brian eiland

Disabled sailor closes in on his 'impossible dream'

Geoff Holt has just 700 nautical miles to go before becoming the first quadriplegic sailor to cross the Atlantic, skippering his boat, unassisted in the sailing.

Geoff broke his neck diving into a beach at age 18. Now 25 years later he is returning to the same beach in the Virgin Islands, on his own terms.

"This isn't about closure," says Geoff from Southampton, UK. "Since my accident I met my wife Elaine, and we have a gorgeous son Tim, both waiting for me in Cane Garden Bay. This is me reconfirming my love of the sea and my passion for sailing."

Geoff is sailing a 60ft carbon catamaran called "Impossible Dream" which has been modified with hydraulic winches, wheelchair access around the deck, and push button navigation from Raymarine.

He has a carer onboard, Susana Scott from New Zealand, to help him get in and out of his motorized wheelchair, and to help with his medical needs.

"Lifting Geoff in rocky seas has been the hardest part," says Susana. "It's so tricky to find my balance. But I've coped when I've had to."

Susana, 29, never sailed before this voyage and has suffered badly from sea sickness. She grits her teeth and grins when saying: "Everyone told me it would go away after a few days. They all lied! I've tried everything. Bring me land!"

Also on board is cameraman Digby Fox, Live Producer of the last America's Cup, who is filming for the BBC. "What Geoff and Susana are doing is extraordinary," he says. "It's extremely tough for both of them, but there's something phenomenal about the human spirit going on here, and it's making superb TV."

Digby is broadcasting live pictures and interviews back to BBC News and BBC Worldwide. A three minute feature he's edited sums up the voyage perfectly:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8437009.stm

The boat's eta is Thurs 8th Jan, wind depending. You can find out more about the voyage, the specially modified 60ft catamaran, track their position, watch the video blogs etc here:

www.geoffholt.com
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

8. brian eiland

Impossible Dream is for Sale

Designed by Nic Bailey, the brief was that the boat had to be capable of being operated from a wheelchair. As a result Impossible Dream is very innovative, well built and also exceptionally good looking.

Pretty much everything on board was custom made to the highest standards, using titanium where possible to reduce the weight, allowing for the weight of very sophisticated control systems. Impossible Dream was one of the first
    boats to be controlled remotely from a palm top by using a centralised computer system and touch screen technology, which has been virtually faultless in the 8 years since her launch.

Nic has sent me more details and dwgs if you are interested.

Are you a wheelchair bound sailor?

Brian