Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click to Save Click for Perko

QSC-500 new error code

Discussion in 'Engines' started by RossC, Aug 17, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. RossC

RossC Member

The diesel shop came over today and did a flush of the raw water system and when I started the engines after the flush I got the error below.

EMGINE/SHIFT STBD
    Sim No J39 Data

then after a 30 seconds or so….

ENGINE/SHIFT STBD
    Low SeaWater Flow

Tech said low seawater flow was just because of the flush process but didn’t comment on the ENGINE/SHIFT.

I can shut off the errors and in they seem to come back randomly.

Engines start fine, shift fine, and all data seems to be present on the VV and analog gauges. We are leaving Ft Lauderdale on Saturday headed to MD.

Headed to the diesel shop first thing. I have to return the rental car at noon. This is stressing me out.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

That s why I try not to do any work right before a trip unless absolutely needed

Don’t know what the mechanic disconnected to flush but could the pump have lost prime? Impeller raw water pumps are self priming but I wonder if there isn’t a suction leak and the pump is sucking air. Been there done that.

As to the “engine/shift stbd” isnt this just an indication of which engine side has the fault ? Disclaimer I have zero experience with these displays.
  3. RossC

RossC Member

He didn’t do the typical circulation flush. Just removed the strainer cap, poured in 2 gallons with engines running and replaced caps. Let sit for 45 minutes and started engines. Errors appeared then and appear every time I start. I don’t get the no sim J39 data error. If I had no sim data I would have no data on the display.
  4. RossC

RossC Member

Here is the first error….

IMG_2041.jpeg

And the second…

IMG_2042.jpeg
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The no data error sounds like a disconnected connection, likely near where he worked

I m really confused by your description of the flushing technique. He opened the strainer while the engine was running??! That means he had to close the seacock so the impeller ram dry… makes no sense whatsoever and seems to be a recipe for disaster. I wonder if the impeller was damaged in the process
  6. RossC

RossC Member

No, he opened the strainer, poured in BB then started engine and kept pouring in until he had 2 gallons in, then stopped engine and capped strainer. Shouldn’t have run dry, but it’s a possibility. No problems on the port. He was working pretty close to ECM and SIM on the stbd though.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Unless your strainers are above water line, which is very rare, you can’t open them without closing the sea cock
  8. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Ross this might not do you any good now but Tony Athens of Seaboard Marine is Cummins expert. There is a forum run by tony and I think you will learn a lot and he has a lot of Cummins specific parts for sale. He also will do a teleconference with you for $175.00. I used the teleconference with him a couple of years ago when I cracked a case on a ZF transmission and he correctly identified which transmission would replace the other (the transmission that broke was no longer made). He discussed it with me and sent me drawings. I found value in it. Good luck with your situation. It is indeed stressful considering this is your maiden voyage.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Then he replaced the impellers??
  10. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Also check all The connectors and plugs near where he worked. Something must have come loose.

the proper way to flush and clean the raw water side is to disconnect the hoses and run barnacle buster from a bucket with a bilge pump. Usually you connect at the discharge near the exhaust and return the solution to the bucket from the hose at the pump outlet. I just can’t believe a mechanic would try to pour the cleaning solution in the strainer.
  11. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Me too.
    Pouring fresh water with some kind of glycol into the strainer (obviously with seacock closed) is common practice for winterizing the engine, and once all the sea water is out and the circuit is filled with that liquid, you just turn the engines off - job done.
    But flushing/cleaning the circuit is a completely different kettle of fish, and doing that without reversing the flow direction is a sort of "quick and dirty" procedure, so to speak - and could do more harm than good.
    I wouldn't be surprised if some particles got stuck into a sensor, somewhere along the raw water circuit, but that's just a shot in the dark of course.

@RossC: what was the reason for doing this job? And was it done also on the other side?
  12. RossC

RossC Member

It was done on both sides. I know the normal way to flush is to circulate. He said they do it that way if the engines are overheating. I’m my case, the temps were OKbut I was getting a low water flow alarm. He said that this is the way they do an engine flush just to give it a good cleaning when it’s not overheating. He said they do it a lot as part of annual maintenance just to keep things clean. Whew we restarted mine a lot of brown gunk came out.

So the final diagnosis is interesting. I called this morning and sent the pics of the alarm screens so he came over and replaced the stbd impeller. Same alarms. He went to the water flow sensors and found that there was no sensor on the stbd side and a screw was in the hole the sensor probe goes. The wires to the sensor were shorted together purposely. When he separated the wires the alarm went away. Haven’t seen a low water flow alarm since. They didn’t have the sensor in stock and I couldn’t wait. Leaving tomorrow and will replace sensor when we get home.

‘The “sim no J39 data” error is still there but not as frequent and it is not an alarm. Just a warning that reads across the top of the screen with a yellow triangle. It will appear for 10 or 20 seconds then go out and back to a green OK. I unplugged the sim cable, SC display cable and any others I could find and reach, sprayed with WD40 and replugged. Going to talk to Seaboard when we get home about what they have to replace the SC system. Cummins tech said upgrading the VV]I have to the latest and greatest would be worth it. I’ve heard that VV mobile works pretty good too. Problem with the VV upgrade or VV mobile is that they retain the same wiring harness. I think the SMX system does away with the SIM and comes with all new harness from engines to bridge.