Click for MotorCheck Click for Mag Bay Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums

Pumps for wash down, domestic water and waste

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by PFalkner, Jun 9, 2021.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PFalkner

PFalkner New Member

I have a 1981 46' Viking conv . In the process of redoing all water systems (wash down ,supply and waste) Looking for advice on what pumps to use diaphragm or vane,waste grinder etc. I want to use good equipment. As far as domestic water system goes can pex pipe be used? The Viking has copper pipes that have been spliced repaired do to freezing. Thanks P Falkner
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I have redone all the plumbing on my 1970 Hatteras 53 using new copper and SharkByte fittings. The original copper was still good but since changed the layout it was easier just to use new copper

SharkByte fittings are great and bullet proof

For over board waste discharge, the only pump to use is sealand. The jabsco impeller pumps (and similar) never last.

for the fresh water system I use a FloJet shallow well 120v pump with a DC back up (shurflo or similar). The shallow well pump can run and run and run while all the diaphragm pumps eventually wear down

a more expensive alternative is to use a Headhunter Mach 5 (120 or 240v). Very nice marine pumps used but all the higher end builders but about $1200
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Really not enough information. Waste you cannot beat a headhunter macerator pump. Water- a Headhunter Mach IV, the washdown is a tossup but probably jabsco.
  4. leeky

leeky Senior Member

I can't find a "Headhunter Mach IV" water pump; the closest Headhunter water pump that I can find is a "Mach5."
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I think it was a typo from J. As I mentioned earlier the mach5 is pretty much standard on most larger boats.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Typo Mach 5.......
  7. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

FWIW, Headhunter has excellent customer service.