Click for Glendinning Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service

Pros and Cons of buying a Carver Motor Yacht

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by timvail, Mar 14, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. timjet

timjet Member

FWIW I love my Carver but will never venture out in 8ft seas.

My advice; buy the newest one you can afford. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Agreed on the comment the interiors on a bit nicer than a Sea Ray from my very limited experience.
  2. timvail

timvail Senior Member

Why do you think the newer carvers are better then the 80's?? I noted when looking that the older carvers seem quite a bit heavier which i belive would be more glass in the hull.
  3. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

I have owned our 2001 Carver Voyager since 1997. I love the way it rides and handles in tight quarters like a dream. Obviously, I never would buy a boat like this without a survey and I got the right price.

I boat mainly in the St. Johns River of Florida and up through Jacksonville, down the ICW into Daytona/new Smyrna area. Usually two 250 miles trips each year, plus weekend outings. Perfect areas and venue for this boat. I will go offshore in 0-2' seas and the ride is still comfortable. It's just not made for more than that.

However, if you're looking for a RV on the water, the layout and design of a Carver are wonderful. Verify the maintenance on the powerplants. It doesn't matter how good it looks if it can't ever leave the dock.
  4. timvail

timvail Senior Member

were we boat the weather can get nasty, but lots of places to find shelter. So a vessel with lots of room is on top of our list. If the weather is bad we just dont go out.
  5. timjet

timjet Member

Newer is not better, just cheaper to maintain.

Mid 80's boats have become difficult to sell, so if price is your primary consideration, then you should be able to pick up a very good deal.

If you're looking for a heavy boat that can take a pounding look elsewhere. But remember weight costs money at the gas/diesel pump.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The newer Carvers are a bit faster, but don't have as much space. I don't like the way the foredeck falls forward so much. It's good for getting water off the deck and makes the boat more aerodynamic, but it requires a bit of care while working deck and takes space out of the cabin. I've had several Carvers out in 7' seas. Scary, PFD's on and watching every wave time. Not for the Sunday sailor. They can handle up to about a 4' storm sea but you won't like it. They're a lake boat, 2' storm seas max in comfort. For the older ones a lot of generic parts are available at WM, etc. so they can actually be relatively cheap to maintain. The older ones tend to have things more accessable to get at.
  7. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

HA! Actually, I meant since 2007...wow...
  8. tommyfmu

tommyfmu Member

I toured Carver's new Sojourn 44 at the Miami boat show last month; beautiful boat, but I was really impressed with the mileage. It is spec'd to cruise at about 33 mph but uses 1/3rd less fuel than previous power plants. I'm not sure if I have the facts exact, but they're somewhere along those lines.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That sounds like IPS #'s ("20% higher speeds & 30% fuel savings"). Was it?
  10. tommyfmu

tommyfmu Member

I believe so. I don't particularly remember what the acronym stands for, but the numbers look right.
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You might want to do some research. You may be looking at your future drive system. Lots here and on the web. Very impressive. Cummins has their version (Zeus) also, as does Mercruiser (Axius).
  12. adambomb

adambomb Member

I just got a 95 carver 355 motoryacht,its like a floating condo ,60k best boat I have ever owned ,interior is very upto date,goodluck
    Peter Mullern likes this.
  13. tommyfmu

tommyfmu Member

We just got A-11 down the dock from where your boat's previous home was :)
  14. adambomb

adambomb Member

U gotta stop down say hello ,I'm at opus across the canal capt Adam,how's your boat doin mine is great
  15. tommyfmu

tommyfmu Member

Will do as we get more towards summer! When are you there?

We love our 325 AC, especially after a new port engine next week lol. We'll have 0 hours on it, and about 100 on the stbd, so should be good for a number of years.

Tom.
  16. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

You do have to watch out for those storm seas lol.
  17. postman

postman New Member

I am desperately trying to sell my Fresh Water 2000 Sea Ray 380AC Aft Cabin with twin 7.4 Merc's and buying a 2004 Carver 466MY which will fit our family better. The boat market is terrible and I've just lowered my price again down to $139,000 which is about the cheapest on the market...certainly the cheapest fresh water boat. And she is pristine with EVERYTHING from TV's to carpet upgraded! Anyone interested in a beautiful clean boat from Canada? She has been super for the last 6 years, but we are moving up as our family gets bigger and need a bigger boat with 3 staterooms instead of just the two! Now my 3-year old will have his own cabin to sleep in....
  18. praetorian47

praetorian47 Senior Member

I also boat in Georgian Bay, out of Bayport. I just traded my 1989 Marine Trader 47 for an 07 Carver 466MY. Carver and Sea Ray are by far the most popular boat out in our waters. Sea Ray seems to be the most popular at Bayport, but that's likely because the Sea Ray dealer is onsite :)

There are 'better' boats out there, and I'd love to own a 70' Hatteras, but at what cost and what benefit does it provide to weekend Georgian Bay boaters?

On those really bad days, these Blue Water boats can go out, or can get home. My Marine Trader had active fin stabilizers (Wesmar), so I could handle almost any weather - my family couldn't and it wasn't fun, even if it was stable. So when the weather sucked, we waited until it got nice. If we were in a protected anchorage, we stayed an extra day. No big deal.

I bought the Carver based on their layouts, opinions of friends that own them, and my own observations of friends Carvers. As a new owner (less than 4 weeks), I say that I'm impressed by the quality of the boat in most things.

The only thing that confuses me is the quality of the canvas they supplied. My boat has hard top on the sundeck and bridge but the strataglass windows are extremely poorly fit. The guy who did my last boat was meticulous, so maybe I'm spoiled (but I'm having him redo this boat over the winter).

I think that you get the living space of a boat 5 feet bigger with a Carver vs a Sea Ray. The Sea Ray does have a nicer profile (at least compared to my 466, which is kind of ugly, although it is growing on me).

I'm very happy with it. The systems are well designed and look to be easy to maintain and work.

All my friends with them, from the 87 3607 to the 97 390 all love them. I can't remember a single 'carver' based complaint. Things went wrong - a trim tab pump failed on one of them this year (not a carver issue really).

The marina manager told me that people who own Carvers often buy them again. As a new Carver owner, I can see that. I would look first to Carver for my next boat as things stand now.

The 3607 is probably the one of the most popular boats I see. It's quick, easy to maintain, has lots and lots of amenities and tons of room. It's also easy to drive, and very comfortable for long trips I'm told.
  19. Shark5238

Shark5238 New Member

Any thoughts on the 396 Carver motor yacht 2000 I think w disels about 420 hrs full beam master 2 heads
  20. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Using it where, how?? as a floating condo and week ender on lakes or sheltered inland waters, that’s a great boat. Beware of docking on windy day with all that windage.