Click for Northern Lights Click for Cross Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Abeking

Pros and Cons of buying a Carver Motor Yacht

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by timvail, Mar 14, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. timvail

timvail Senior Member

Looking for information (opinions) regarding carvers in general. Have just sold our 270 sea ray. We do our boating in georgian bay area, and our hoping to move up to a 32 to 36 foot MY of some sort. This size still allows us to get into the small bays etc that we like among the islands, We like the looks of the older carvers (lots of teak) etc. Not looking for an ocean going boat, nor our we interested in the loop.Something to get us around in comfort and safety in the area we live in. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreaciated.
    Tim
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Although I'm not a big Carver fan, I think it would be fairly perfect for where you are. If you put Carver in the SEARCH key above you find a lot on the subject.
  3. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Carver

have it well surveyed by a knowledgeable surveyor...as with any boat purchase...but....
  4. timvail

timvail Senior Member

carver

tks for info.have always had a survey for any boat purchased.
  5. btait

btait New Member

I used to own a 270 Sea Ray SD. 1984. Nice boat with a deep V. I also used to own a Carver. The biggest dfference is the flat bottom doesn't take rough weather as well. If you are just sitting in a quiet bay, which our area has lots of the Carver is great. Lot's of room. I second the survey but there is a lot of good buys in our area. Are you looking for the aft cabin. I tried out a 32 but found it pitched a lot. The 36 is a lot more stable.
    Good Luck,
  6. tommyfmu

tommyfmu Member

Timvail, I think what we did is exactly what you're looking to do. We had a Maxum 2400SCR pocket cruiser with mid cabin, and while it had lots of ammenities, just wasn't enough room for overnight's and weekends, so we moved up to a Carver 325 AC and it's made all the difference. Plenty of room for our family of four, comfortably.
  7. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Try looking at Cruisers Yachts.

Judy
  8. timvail

timvail Senior Member

carver

Why not a fan of the Carver??????
  9. timvail

timvail Senior Member

carver

An aft cabin or evan a side cabin. I expect we will be buying in the michigan area as the boats there are so much less money then in ontario. I was wondering about the 3207 if it might pitch a bit more then we like in rough wheather. A sea trial would be a must. Tks for your assistance.
  10. timvail

timvail Senior Member

Thanks for the info. We are going to look at the 3207 aft cabin. Any comments or "wish I had" from you regarding this boat would be great help.
    Tim
  11. timvail

timvail Senior Member

Have already checked the Carver section via search as well as articles regarding the hulls etc.As with any make it appears pros and cons for each. A survey seems to be the only way to go once we find something we like and that we think will meet our needs. We do like getting into small bays which require touching bottom (sand ) to get in when searching sometimes. So a solid hull is important. Tks for youe help.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Too long a list to go down again, which is why I suggested going through what you find with the SEARCH feature. Where I boat you can find some serious seas, and they're just not made for that. IMHO they are made precisely for the type of area you're in, where 8' seas or 5' storm seas are less likely. What they do have is plenty of space. They are fairly uncomplicated boats, and fairly economical to run and maintain. Main thing is that every boat has a purpose and limitations. If I were on Lake Havasu I'd take a 3 Buoys houseboat over a Hatteras. If I hit 20' seas I'd want a good SF or a Feadship. You don't want an 50 cal. for rabbit hunting and you don't want to go into war with a .22.
    Survey is vital with any boat you buy. As for touching a sand bottom, the hull is not your weak point, it's the running gear. Look for shallow draft and prop pockets (tunnels), and idle through very slowly. Even if you save the props, a big problem there will be injesting the sand into your motors. Best not to explore too many shallows with a cruiser. With a 36 you can carry a dink for those explorations. A 32 will get you closer, but I always advise people that if they're looking at (for example) a 32 and a 36, go with the 36 because you'll be there sooner than later and it will save an extra commission.
  13. tommyfmu

tommyfmu Member

NYCAP, would you explain what you mean in "the larger boat getting you there sooner" ; do you mean in rough seas solely? I'd think that power is commensurate with size of each boat (i.e. 5.7 ltr's in 32 ft, vs 7.4 ltr's in 38 ft boat for example) so speed should be about the same for cruise and WOT considering weights and displacements.

In actuality, coming back through a heavy storm one time my 325AC was handling the conditions a lot better than a number of friends boats which were both smaller, and larger.
  14. timvail

timvail Senior Member

Thanks for the sound advice, will besure to follow up with it on our search.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

What I was referring to was '3yearitis'. The first year your boat is the greatest. The second it's still terrific, (but did you see that other one?). The third year you have to have the bigger one. If you're thinking about two boats and you get the smaller one you'll accelerate that cycle. Better to get the bigger one and maybe make it '5yearitis', saving one commission. I had one client who bought a 42 Sea Ray when they were also looking at a 50. The wife explained about their "5 year plan". That 5 year plan went out the window so fast it could make your head spin. By the next year they were in the 50 and the following year a 68' Azimut. The brokers loved them.:)
  16. tommyfmu

tommyfmu Member

LMAO - so true! After a 7 year hiatus from boating, we got back into it 2 summers ago. The wife said "go ahead and buy what you think will be good for us all."

Yea, right. That lasted for 1 season and she pulled a Brody; "I think we're going to need a bigger boat."

I said, you find it, you find the way to pay for it, and ok. She had us in our current Carver within 2 weeks (after I checked it all out etc).

I must say, it was a great step up; it's like a moving condo on the water.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

And you fell for that one? Must not be married long enough or just haven't been paying attention. Good to see you learned.:D
  18. timvail

timvail Senior Member

I have been married long enough and had my wife looking over my shoulder reading these posts. NYCAP, she thinks your advice of a bigger boat is right on.Tks:eek:
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Anytime.$$$$$$$$$$$$:D
  20. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

Not all Carvers have a flat bottom..

Theres not much risk in buying one that a surveyor passes. They are straightforward and often look a lot nicer on the interiors than the same year Chris Craft or Sea Ray.

Are you looking only at mid-late 80s 32-36's? I used to own a 3207 and had a bunch of friends with 3607s. The 1991-1996 36/370 was a much better boat than the older 36.