Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander

Props--to clean or not to clean that is the question

Discussion in 'Props, Shafts & Seals' started by diesel one, Feb 20, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. diesel one

diesel one New Member

Hello: I haven't seen much written about "clean props." I am not talking about props heavly encrusted, rather props that are not "shinny new", have a coating of dark material and a few barnacles. What is your estimate, note I said estimate, of the increase in effeciency and mileage by spending the elbow grease--which is no big deal in my opinion--hell I am retired, what else am I going to do?--or is not worth the effort?
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

3. diesel one

diesel one New Member

Props, to clean or............etc.

Thanks!! Looks like a few hours or work is ahead of me. What do you recommend for tools? Corded drill, what material for the "brush?" Use Scotch Pads for final polish?
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Guess the prop is out of the water.:) I'd just use a plastic paint scrapper with a small metal one for the tougher barnacles, followed by a Scotchbrite pad. 10 minute job.
  5. diesel one

diesel one New Member

Props--to clean or not..............etc.

Thanks!!
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You'd be surprised, but some scaling and a few barnacles can knock off 10% of your speed/efficiency pretty easily. Most people use a 2" wide s/s putty knife. Yards will typically spray acid on them and then wash it off......

Propspeed or trilux works well at keeping barnacles and growth off.......You'll really need to prep the propellors if you decide to coat them with either.
  7. diesel one

diesel one New Member

Props--to clean or......etc.

Again thanks!!!
  8. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

On this same topic, I have a friend that owns a powder coating business. Has anyone ever had the chance to try powder coating on a set of props? I'm not sure it would retard growth, but I would think it would at least protect better than anti-fouling paint. It would last longer, even if you were ocassionally cultivating some shallow areas.

Any thoughts?
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I think it would be very cost prohibitive to powder coat propellors, and I would think that if there is even a hint of electrolysis it would probably peel the powdercoating right off of them. These are just a guess.
  10. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

Prior to powdercoating, the props get beadblasted/pressure washed/scotchbrite scuffed. They would certainly be free from any elctrolysis. The coating would cost $150 total for both 23" props.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Electrolyses from the electricity in the water and from the vessel itself and vessels around it from their shorepower. Powdercoating is much more expensive here. You could always try it.........but I think if it was effective people would be doing it.......
  12. captbpomeroy

captbpomeroy New Member

If you use Propspeed, consider this tip I learned from Marine Group Boatworks in San Diego. Mask the blade tip edges prior to applying prop speed. An uneven drip or coating on the edges can create a prop note or singing once underway.

Attached Files: