Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Westport

Prop shaft alignment

Discussion in 'Props, Shafts & Seals' started by HKT Horizon, Oct 13, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. HKT Horizon

HKT Horizon New Member

Hi All,

I have a 53 feet motoryacht 2 years old now. I'm just wondering if it's necessary to remove and re-align the prop shafts every time during my annual haul out for maintenance. I've noticed slightly more vibration now from when she was new. Do you all think it's a prop or shaft issue? Thanks for your input. Cheers.
  2. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Hi HKT Horizon:

Perhaps the quickest thing to do is to break the coupling apart from the shaft and, with a feeler gauge, check the faces for angle & out-of-round (runout).
    Do this with the boat in the water.

You can put a dial indicator on the prop shaft itself (when out of the water) to check runout--six or seven thousandths are OK; more, and you'd better pull the shaft and have the machine shop straighten her out. While I'm not picking on Far Eastern builds, it is not uncommon to find this on them.

Worst case--the struts are misaligned and then they'll need major surgery if a targeting--laser or wire-- deems this necessary. I had to do this on more than one new DeFever from the factory.