Click for Burger Click for United Click for Alexseal Click for Llebroc Click for Abeking

Problems on late model Ocean Alexander?

Discussion in 'Ocean Alexander Yacht' started by Jim McLaren, Jul 18, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

South shore long island and fort lauderdale
    And we are stepping back, trying to evaluate the boat a bit before investing in a survey. Thanks for your wise advise, I am listening!
  2. Gerry Waser

Gerry Waser New Member

Yachtguy, do you know what year Monk left Ocean Alexander? I am looking at a 45 OA sedan that seems to be in good condition ( I will find out at the survey). The gel coat is dull and there are several areas with crazing and cracks, especially around the bow pulpit and windlass. I expect the boat will need to be prepped and painted in the near future., but otherwise everything appears shipshape. I have heard of some problems with Quality Control on more recent vessels built within the last ten years. Also, has anyone experienced problems with Caterpillar 3126 TA engines (420 HP, built in 2002), pushing a 37,000 pound boat?
  3. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

I agree that a survey is money well spent. From my years of visiting builders around the world, I would look where you can't see components. Lift the floor in the engine room and look at items such as pumps and wiring harnesses. Besides the obvious wear and tear of an older boat, would you be proud to show this to your buddy and brag? Something to think about.
  4. JimmyL

JimmyL Member

From a build quality assessment, I've found the OA's to be very well built. Design/layout wise, Ed Monk Jr. did a great job and our 44 is about the best we've seen. To get anything that would sway us away would easily add 10' to the OAL.
    Now, for the downside, it's the past owners that are the problem for most boats. The neglect in keeping these updated and maintained is what you're needing to look for and be prepared to tackle. You can negotiate that into the purchase price or suck it up yourself - one way or the other, it will be addressed so turning a blind eye out of love for the boat won't help you. Find the best surveyor's possible and look carefully at all aspects. There are a few good boats out there and then there's all the rest....