Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay

problem w/ 24 V electrical panel reading

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Goodlife, Aug 19, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Goodlife

Goodlife New Member

I have a 2004 Silverton 48C. I just replaced the 4-8D wet batteries w/ 4 AGM Odyssey batteries. batteries installed. everything works (as far as I know) but for some reason the electrical panel in the salon, the 24V lines when switched on start climbing... "8V, 10, 15, 19v, 20, 21...24v's" and then drop to show "8V's" or "3V's" or "9V's". I do not understand why. can anybody help me w/ this. when I read the V's on the batteries w/ my hand held multimeter they read 12V & 24V when read in series.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Did it do this previously?

What made you decide to change all batteries? I hope it wasn't a bad reading on the Panel Meter.

Can you take out the Panel Meter and with a couple of bits of wire connect it to the batteries direct?

Are you using a hand held digital volt meter to check the batteries or a moving coil type one?
  3. Goodlife

Goodlife New Member

Batteries were dead. Not an issue before. Checked new batteries wn handheld digital multimeter. Have not connected display to batteries yet. Good idea.
  4. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Is the panel meter digital or analog?

Does the meter do this whether the charger is on or off?

Or does it do it either way?

How about when the engine/s are running?
  5. Goodlife

Goodlife New Member

panel is digital.

I haven't checked any of these items yet. I just noticed that the panel was making these readings when we came back from a day cruise. Engines & generator off. shore power on.

I will try these suggestions and let you knpw the results.

Thanks,
  6. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

You are aware that there is a critical difference in charging voltage between wet cells and AGM, right?

I suggest you contact the manufacturer of your charging and monitoring systems to ensure both are functioning properly for your new battery.