Click for Glendinning Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Perko

Problem on ACME Propellars...

Discussion in 'Props, Shafts & Seals' started by bly, Sep 19, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. bly

bly New Member

I know tubes would help but my friend doesnt want that much effort I guess? I think it was 2 1/4 inch shafts and He knew he was having a problem before a blade tore off and took a swipe at the hull 20 miles off. The struts are extremely beefy. Enougher friend beveled his struts on a 54 bertram to solve this problem. The cavitation or erosion of the blade where it met the hub was excessive. Anyone else having problems like this?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Propellor burn. It is quite common on a sportfish that does over 30 knots at cruise. The problem is in the propellor design and also the proximity of the blades to the hull bottom. Switching to a better brand eliminates it in many cases. Cabo and Viking went to Veems and the prop burn went away.
  3. bly

bly New Member

I live about 20 miles from Viking

The guy I asked today about switching to veems claims they never used ACME. he did tell me Veems are a much better prop. The owner of the boat told me the Veems cost about 30% more for the same wheel over the ACME.
  4. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Alot of the prop burn on Vikings was due to the hull/driveshaft designs. One hull with one engine package had a "bump" on the bottom and this resulted in many of the prop burns. All prop makes had this issue. Veem has also had issues. When the 56 was new for Viking we swapped props 5 times in one day before a VIP show- all the Veems had folded over blade tips due to reversing hard.
  5. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

ACME props? Best to go right to the source: Wile E. Coyote.
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I wish I wasn't old enough to find the humor in that!
  7. bly

bly New Member

Beep Beep

I know what you mean.
  8. 'RoundTheHorn

'RoundTheHorn Senior Member

Actually, if you catch a glimpse of the children's programming on Saturday mornings today, we are probably better off being old enough to get the joke. :)
  9. gonnabe

gonnabe New Member

Have a friend that kept experiencing prop burn on a Carolina built charter boat- Boat cruises 30kts w/ shaft tubes.

He found a prop shop in the Tidewater / VA Beach area that built up (with weld) 4 "dots" (for the lack of a better word) between each blade of the wheels (four blade).

Don't know what this is supposed to do, but after 3 years he still does not have prop burn (I saw the boat out of the water about a month ago) and he claims the wheels haven't been touched since original install 3 years ago
  10. Free Agent

Free Agent New Member

I sent a set of ACME's with cavitation burn problems to Hill for a re-build and they came back with the issue resolved.

http://hillmarine.com/Repair.html

I sold the boat, but if I was to do it again I'd replace the props with a different brand rather than have them re-buzzed.

I've experienced balance problems with new ACMES too. Damfino, perhaps that issue eventually sets up the cavitation burn problems.