Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Walker Click for JetForums Click for Furuno

Privilege Yard

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Yacht News, Sep 26, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

2. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Earlier in this thread, there was speculation as to how the boat was going to be moved....I'm guessin' that they have contacted Northern Marine to purchase their dollies. :D
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I really believe that they are going to move this yacht with normal tractor trailers in pieces straight to the scrap recycler!!!!!!
  4. AffrayedKnot

AffrayedKnot Senior Member

The idea of moving this vessel conjures interesting thought. With Carl’s permission, I would like to invite Mr. Meggs, and/or Mr. “Luxury” La Via, to return here and present the forum with a Launch-Plan.

To quote Mr. Meggs:
    “A local contractor will support the vessel much like the space shuttle is supported when moved and Privilege One will be driven on many wheels into a dry dock. This method is used regularly in the Med. It is very safe and effective.”

My initial thought was: ~the space shuttle can actually store safely on the foredeck of this ship~.

Then, “driven on many wheels into a dry dock”. Exiting the yard is an interesting challenge. The yacht is clearly not departing through the front gate. The only way out is straight ahead, across the parking lot the green space, across the railroad tracks, then; north is not an option so… straight again; west for an “Egyptian Beach Launch” or 90 degrees south into the active area of the port and deep water. However, there is now, no such dry-dock in accessible range. Yet again a greater challenge to the immediate south is the bridge over the drainage canal. Passing a 415ft x 73ft ship over a 34ft wide bridge (in a curve), will call for great finesse.

I am truly interested in how La Via and Meggs plan on launching this ship.

I submit that safely placing this vessel in navigable water is possible; an engineering and construction challenge, but certainly possible. But not as explained and not in 6 months. The infrastructure to accommodate transport will require more than 6 months to complete.

I think we all here want to see this ship at sea. But none of us want someone pissing on our shoes and telling us it’s only rain.

Attached Files:

5. AffrayedKnot

West or South

Attached Files:

6. AffrayedKnot

Bridge Challenge

Attached Files:

7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Don't you guys think they should worry about getting that boat finished, long before they worry about launching it??????? LOLOLOL......
  8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Might think more about how to break it into pieces, toss the pieces into dumpsters and haul it away. Washington has a pretty good system for that using track loaders but they haven't handled a boat that large. Still, it's just a section at a time until you've moved it all.
  9. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Straight ahead.

You 2/3 of the way to splashing her.

GOOGLE: 42°06'46.67" N 11°46'27.49" E
  10. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Assuming she's not headed to the scrap pile....you guys are over thinking this whole thing....build a wall around all four sides...flood the area with enough water to float her and give her 12-15 feet below the keel...then lay down a slip and slide...bust out the front wall with C4 and let her slide into the water on her own!:D
  11. mediterannean

mediterannean Member

R Carnes likes this.
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

£200,000 won't get you much on a yacht that size.

I have seen higher charges for a pair of faucets
  13. mediterannean

mediterannean Member

Hi K1W1,

I fully agree on that point.

But at least the first number (250 mil Pounds)doesnt seems that much out of reality when it comes to buy such a Yacht.No?
  14. AffrayedKnot

This is a rehash of a past disproven story:

The Privilege propaganda machine spun this tale a couple years ago. Crazy then, as crazy now.

The Jolie-Pitts were photographed recently on Jim Clark’s 90m S/Y “Athena”.

You just gotta love the color and imagination of this ‘Privilege’ adventure.
  15. mediterannean

mediterannean Member

Yeah,most probably..

Short googling gives a number of these news:)
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Italian yachts are generally cheaper than their Nthn European counterparts but it is really a case of Buyer beware. You get what you pay for.

I have recently dealt with a client who was offered a 90m yacht done supposedly using all the same sub contractors as the big Nthn European yards for 12.5% the cost and half the time of the cheapest and fastest one offered elsewhere.

Luckily the clients main concern was where did the guy who made the offer get his e mail addy from. The guy who was pushing it claimed to have two under construction, if that was the case we should have seen them by now so I guess the wind has blown the smoke away and someone broke his mirror.
  17. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

The Brad and Angelina story was tossed around at the inception of this project. Another red flag is the €150m price drop from what the project is currently asking (but I don't know how accurate €399m would be for an Italian built yacht of this size).
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They're waiting for Noah to buy it and bring all of his animals so that they can easily launch it.......:rolleyes:

The question is, who is currently bank rolling the build???
  19. AffrayedKnot

The Jolie-Pitt / Privilege story first developed in 2007. There was actually a thread here at this forum addressing the news.

Then again in 2012 a similar story resurrected.

Both extinguished, and credited to shameless promotion through false narrative.
  20. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

it's really interesting how much any of the proposed methods of launching it are about to cost.
    These €150m might just be somewhere there :D