Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn

Privilege Yard

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Yacht News, Sep 26, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It is not unheard of for shipyards to dig channels to suit the launch as and when required, re placing any rad dug up is small change in the big picture.

It is also quite possible that the brains behind the project never considered the launch when deciding to build in a paddock near the sea.

As has been mentioned elsewhere on here, the men and women who have made the money needed to build, own and operate these large yachts are no doubt for the most part very astute and often ruthless business men and women.

Throw a large luxury yacht into the mix and it is like a good shaped ass and legs in tight jeans to both sexes, all sound reasoning is often overpowered by the dreams and thought of wow this could be me/us etc.

There have and will probably continue to be wealthy individuals that start out on one of these colossal projects with all good intention and "advice" and end up very much worse off with their fortunes very dented or depleted to dangerously low levels and their egos in a similar state.

Large white elephant projects have been in the news a bit recently here in Europe, mostly I guess because of the dire straits that so many of these southern European governments find themselves in.

Here is an example of a few of similar ilk in Spain at present.

Castellon airport: Spanish 'ghost' airport's unused runway to be dug up to meet regulations - Telegraph

and one closer to home for you readers in the contiguous 48.

Argyle airport must be cancelled now

Similar duffers involving private individuals and their money do not generally get any press as it isn't as controversial as the waste of the few tax dollars some of these places collect being spent on useless projects.
  2. carelm

carelm Senior Member

I saw the same thing as well. My best guess is that they will move the yacht with a big a$$ trailer about a quarter mile or so south to where I think there are some cranes that can handle the yacht.
  3. mwagner1

mwagner1 Senior Member

Interesting.......The article states that the Argyle runway is 2743m (8,999') long and 43m (141') wide..I just have to wonder since when is a nearly 9K long and 141' wide runway not long/wide enough for anything but the A380 or maybe a 747?? Many US airports constantly land large planes on runways in the 9-10K range...then again, if weather/severe and frequent crosswinds causes serious issues, then I guess that no matter the length x width, it would indeed be unsafe..but to play devil's advocate, the airports in Hong Kong (Chek Lap Kok), Osaka (Kansai) and other Asiatic airports all frequently deal with mild to rough crosswinds, sometimes on a daily basis (just check out YouTube videos)

Regarding the yacht at Privilege, I suspect that whatever they do in regards to moving the yacht it will be quite a spectacle/circus, despite the ruthless though beautiful people (male or female in tight jeans with big egos) who might be the eventual owner of the yacht ;)

Cheers,
  4. mwagner1

mwagner1 Senior Member

I would like to see a trailer big enough to move that monster. Besides the road separating the yard from the water, there is also a railroad track...:cool:

Cheers,
  5. carelm

carelm Senior Member

Any trailer would have be custom made and it would be HUGE. The other alternative would be to use a series of large rubber rollers. Manuevering it would be a rather large and involved undertaking no matter which method is chosen. Definite Youtube material.
  6. mwagner1

mwagner1 Senior Member

Oh yes, indeed YouTube material....still, there is a railway as well as a road (and Italian drivers :D) to deal with. I would love to be there to see it moved, no matter how they move it. Does anyone know if an attempt to move/launch a yacht of this size and sort of far from water has ever been attempted before?

I suspect that if Privilege stays solvent after this project and keeps building monster yachts, we will see that canal dredged and widened substantially as well as maybe a type of drawbridge for the road to hold traffic as new launches pass. If the train track is not too active they may very well reroute the track or just remove it...only time will tell

Cheers,
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

These things are modular , come in much bigger sizes and can be added together to increase the load carrying capacity.

They are often used by shipyards to move hulls etc.

Attached Files:

8. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

Any news?
  9. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

There is about 10 weeks left of 2013 so if she is in he condition shown then i will either be launched unfinished or not launched at all.

Those white panels are as useful as ashtrays on a motorcycle for stopping much of anything.

To fill fair and paint a large yacht to high yacht standard requires amongst other things a very careful environmental control, not something easily achieved in an open sided shed howsoever constructed.
  11. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

From a nearby thread, painting this thing is alone a story larger maybe not then life, but definitely then 10 weeks.
  12. German Yachting

Any new progress/info?
  13. mfranjic

mfranjic New Member

The situation in the shipyard is very difficult and uncertain…
    Some representatives of the workers returned to protest on the site of the Privilege Yard that is now, since last December 23, closed. Many workers are waiting for some answers regarding their future after 5 months without salary and 3 out of work and have therefore organized their representatives in front of the gates of the company. The idea seems to be to continue on the path of peaceful protest but not settle for false promises or just rumours, the same as speak of a meeting in Milan, among a representatives of Italian banks, during which they should have defined the necessary fundings for the payments to the companies working in the Privilege yard. On one of the last meetings between workers, unions and the company which was also attended by the President of the Port, the Privilege Yard had promised a payment of one thousand euro for all workers . ..

Many have believed in a project that involves a number of ships and guaranteed employment with the first order, the P430, still without a buyer. It was repeatedly declared that the vessels in question "are placed in the high -end of the market and are not in direct competition with other Italian yacht builders" ; "we should not look for a future owner because the boat produced by Privilege are actually allocated more than sold, because the commercial policy of our client provides preferential allocations and current assignments based on the time that different users require for the exploitation of the ship"... It is understandable that in times of crisis something is slow, but today we are about to enter the sixth year of the yard and some questions arise... Now, lot of companies involved in the Privilege Yard´s project(s) are in difficult situation because of the same problems with economic background. A tragic domino effect on all the companies involved….

I do really hope they are going to find the solution because it would be a shame if all fails after so much effort and funding was invested in the construction of the port of Civitavecchia, Privilege shipyard as well as the projects of the ships (P430, P450)…

Concerning project (P430 - Project One), if ever finished, it would be an fantastic and modern yacht with very sophisticated propulsion system (designed and delivered by ABB), but the Privilege yard, certainly and clearly, does not have the history nor capacity nor the technology nor economic background as one Fincantieri shipyard, which recently launched their magnificent project, Victory 140 …

Mario

Attached Files:

• P0.jpg
      P0.jpg
      File size:
      54.1 KB
      Views:
    • P2.jpg
      P2.jpg
      File size:
      96.9 KB
      Views:
    • P5.jpg
      P5.jpg
      File size:
      90.9 KB
      Views:
    • P4.jpg
      P4.jpg
      File size:
      125.6 KB
      Views:
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

It is the same in many businesses.

It sounds like someone had a big idea to show what a wealthy and generous person they were but did not have the cash to follow it through.

This would not be the first yacht r series of yachts to find it self in a difficult situation where sale to a 3rd party (if they are lucky enough to find one)is down right impossible owing to some whacky clauses the yard accepted in the construction contract in between the port and cheese courses.
  15. German Yachting

16. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Looks to me like some dreamers who honestly were in way over their heads and didn't know what they were doing. If you look at Privilege, it wasn't one company doing all this but various parties and sub contractors and a rather confusing grouping of people building as a pure speculative boat a SEA MANSION as they use that term over and over.

Trying to show off without the money to do so and with no potential customer in mind. If someone wants a 126 meter boat they're going to want to design their own and go to a trusted shipyard, not a start up building their first boat.

Their claim was "First Fully Dedicated and Integrated Group of Companies for the development, construction and management of Gigayachts over 85 meters". What? Group of Companies? First fully dedicated because you've picked an arbitrary 85 meters and the others who build 100 meter yachts have build some under 85 meters?

It's a real shame for the local government and whatever money they spent as it is for the local people who have found themselves without jobs. As to Privilege it looks like an ill conceived project from the start.
  17. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Looks as though someone did not get the memo. ;)

San Marco Myt003 - IMO 1010492 - ShipSpotting.com - Ship Photos and Ship Tracker

Interesting conversation at a different Thread.

Guess they missed the memo, too.

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/oceanco-yacht/18477-oceanco-709-10-a.html#post149134]
  18. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

Sorry, I must be confused. Are you saying the yacht being towed IMO 1010492 is the same yacht as the one being constructed in the large shed in the Privilege yard?

The yacht being towed is 75 meter while the one in the large shed is the 130 meter superyacht being called Privilege One.
  19. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

No.

Just used as an example that not all boats are constructed from keel up at the same yard and sub contractors are employed, also.
  20. AffrayedKnot

AffrayedKnot Senior Member

The workers have taken over the yard and the yacht. Having not been paid since December, and without trust, the inmates have taken control of the asylum.

Demonstrations at the gates are now common.

Surprisingly, there is no management to negotiate with and the banks are left clueless and with dick-hand.

Originally Privilege Fleet Management CO SPA (Privilege) was the builder and orchestrator of this adventure. Privilege contracted with Waymax International Limited (“Waymax”), a BVI company and wholly owned subsidiary of Privilege to build the yacht.

Privilege Fleet Management CO SPA was owned by ULTRAPOLIS 3000 THEME PARK INVESTMENT LTD and then: "Ultrapolis 3000 Investment LTD", both Singapore companies, and once represented by former UN Secretary General Javier Perez de Cuellar, and with such "partners" such as the sultan of Brunei, and Robert Miller, a shareholder of Louis Vuitton and CNN.

Ultrapolis 3000 Investment LTD, (Singapore), was owned by Ultrapolis 3000 Holding Bermuda Ltd.

- Ultrapolis... Singapore was finally dissolved 4th April 2014
    - Ultrapolis... Bermuda was stricken and dissolved by the Bermuda Registrar as far back as 2009.
    - Privilege... is currently in liquidation.

The photo below was taken a week or so past.
    Check the dark figure; before the stem of the vessel... i'll follow with the close-up.

Attached Files: