Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay

Private Yacht Pirated

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by NYCAP123, Feb 19, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Oh...... WTF were these people doing dodling about in their blow boat in that part of the world.

If you want to see sand and rocks go to a beach at home, don't take your boat and loved ones to the Indian Ocean without General Custer and the cavalry alongside to smoke over any of the scumbags that will no doubt piss on your fish and chips given half a chance.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's called "tourist mentality". They feel everyplace should be safe for them, therefore it is in their minds...until it's not. You see it every day with people hanging on the sides of mountains, swimming with sharks, hiking across Iran or camping in Mexico. When you hear the stories, one part of you says 'they bought it, now they pay for it', but then your humanity breaks your heart because of the reality. It's hard for a world traveler to accept that they just can't go to certain areas, in this case an entire ocean.
  4. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes". Cold maybe but, Jeebus!, what were these people thinking.
  5. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

going into those waters willingly ... hmmm ...

a possible darwin award candidate? hope not !!!
  6. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Now the pirates will be able to spout bible quotes while they murder and pillage.
  7. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

EXACTLY !!!
    Even the U.S. State Department's Travel Advisory is very clear in their warning of keeping away from Somalia's coast.
    I've always thought that being a World Traveler also means having some common sense.
    What were they thinking ???
    :confused:
  8. RobertoSonnen

RobertoSonnen New Member

9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'd be very afraid if I were those pirates right now. The stars and stipes seem to bring them into a different realm. Still, why wasn't that boat at least sailing with a convoy, or were they?
  10. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I think the "visual contact" should be the captain of the Momsen looking down on the sailboat from a few feet away while he politely asks the head pirate what his intentions are.

Just kill the first one to stick his head up. When the stink gets too bad kill the one who tries to dump the body. In a day or two I bet the hostages will crawl over the mess to be retrieved and the pirates huddling in the cabin will plead for mercy.

Of course their lawyer will claim they were just shipwrecked fishermen. I wonder where their "mothership" is?
  11. RER

RER Senior Member

Spectacularly bad judgement... they put not only themselves in grave danger but those who come to their aid as well.

They should be billed for the cost of their rescue if they live through it.
  12. travler

travler Senior Member

it is very simple on brain on pain , shoot first ask questions later

travler
  13. Nuke them

The thing what surprise me the most is that everybody know where are their bases at the Somalian coast, where are the mother-ships and what the small vessels look like. They are only armed with small handguns and old rocket launchers.
    Can anybody explain me why we still do tolerate this from a bunch of middle ages idiots to influence the civilised world so Badly?

Simply sink them all, enter all captured ships and bomb the coast villages where these f.cking *******s sleep in their hang-mats laughing their asses of about our weak actions.

I'm Dutch and believe me how ashamed I felt when the Dutch marine catches some of these idiots few months ago, disarmed them and send them back with a warning..."Never do that again boys... naughty naughty".... Yeah right,...that will scare the hell out of them.... BLOODY SINK THEM!!!! That is not human? What the hell......the world did worse things with even less trouble.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

There are a lot of hostages on the shore. So shelling is out. Plus, invading a country is a big deal. At least one navy seems to take it seriously. Having the U.S. Navy looking over your shoulder is a worisome sight. May more follow suit. When the guy who just got 33 years in the federal pen from the Alabama gets to write home it should act as good oject lessons as he describes his life.
    The news just now had a segment on this, but no new info. Here's hoping for the best on this and another object lesson.
  15. ______

Invading is indeed something which is the last you do.....

But Somalia does not have a government at all anymore and is a piracy country. It already even asked for help but pity for them....they have hardly any economical value.

It is good the US navy as well as many others now are out to protect the cargo vessels...but I've info from Egypt that private vessels are out on their own...no protection even in convoy.

Next is that the Indian Ocean is not some small lake and now with using mother vessels it is not easy to control them anymore.

Best solution stay in my opinion still to sink them...look at the South Korean navy...they shot 9 of 12 pirates and warned them with the next vessel will be worse.

The 3 left are taken to Korea and there they let them talk....guess what came out? The western shipping agents sell the info to the pirates where and when to find the best boats to capture.....ups...now becomes nasty.
  16. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"OSLO, Norway—A Norwegian shipping magnate was strongly criticized Wednesday for suggesting that pirates captured off the Horn of Africa should be sunk with their skiffs or executed on the spot."

Here's an idea ... it seems that politicians and regulators don't really care about much other than campaign contributions and trips to exotic locations in order to "study" how they can help the highest bidder. For example, until a foreign airliner crashed in the backyard of an upscale NY suburb a few years ago the FAA could care less who was allowed to fly into the US. It seems that crash got a bit too close to home for their own comfort and that is why there are no flag of convenience airlines hauling American families to Disneyworld.

So, in keeping with the theory of keeping the lawmakers "invested" in their own well being, I propose a program whereby each American flag vessel sailing through the pirate controlled region carries a senator or congressman (or woman) on that leg of the voyage. Just to make it fair and ensure that all members of those esteemed institutions have an equal opportunity to personally study the situation first hand, a lottery should be held to choose the lucky voyager.

I am willing to bet that almost overnight the US would suddenly discover compelling national security interests in eliminating pirates who have just been discovered to be thinly disguised Al Quaeda drug smugglers who use the ransom money to finance illegal immigration across the Rio Grande for the purpose of influencing health care reforms and registering Democratic voters.
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Living in a United States prison compared to how they live in Somalia, is like comparing living in a Hilton to living in a tent. I don't think his letters would be of any incentive to stop. What they should do, is box up all of the bodies and send them home to their country. If they see a bunch of their dead friends coming home, then they'll get the message that there can be serious conscequences.
  18. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Bravo!!!
  19. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

well said !!!
  20. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Just the opposite. When the last bunch of dead pirates were dropped off at the airport it provided photo ops and sound bites showing wailing mothers who claim their sons were martyrs who died trying to prevent illegal fishing in their territorial waters.

Let them sink with the wreckage of their pirate ships. When these people understand that going pirating is a one way voyage they just might find other ways to make a living.

What I find beyond belief is that the pirates who just nabbed the yachtie bible pushers are sailing toward Somalia while the Navy is deciding what to do. Are we actually at the point where an American flag vessel can be hijacked by pirates and sail unhindered and without fear under the shadow of an American Navy warship toward a pirate haven in a failed State?

I don't care how stupid or ignorant the operators of that vessel might be, they are on an American flag vessel that is supposed to enjoy the freedom of passage on the world's oceans and that freedom is supposed to be defended by our incredibly expensive investment in men and machinery that is celebrated in jingoistic TV ads promoting our international presence for the sake of freedom everywhere ... WTF is missing in this picture.