Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta

Potential Post 50 owner seeking insurance

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by Dan balmer, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Dan balmer

Dan balmer Member

looking for insurance for #s for 50 post 2000 yr docked in Florida east coast , used as live aboard for 6 months and preferably on hard for 6 months. Probably only interested in liability only . Am currently in port canaveral and would like to relocate to Stuart or Jupiter area with this 6 month on /off schedule. Like to do my own work on the boat in the yard when I return from north. Like the idea of the boat up on the hard and strapped down for the 6 months I’m north. Anyway I’m flexible as need be. I also fish the coast and bahama bank at grand cay once or twice a season so don’t want to be too inland. Also I’m cheap and don’t want to spend more than 1000.00 a month at the marina for everything.
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Dan

You ask about insurance and then flip to dock fees? I spend $40K on my 50 as an average (before cruising costs). You're going to store this boat on the hard in the FL summers- I hope you are inside at least.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  3. 30West

30West Member

I see a lot of questions in that first post that aren't being asked. Is insurance really the only thing you are wondering about? You've got everything else figured out?
  4. Dan balmer

Dan balmer Member

I’m seeking recommendations on how to shop for insurance on a boat that is on florida east coast all year Boat is 2000 yr and will likely hauled during hurricane season. Am also considering relocating from port canaveral area to more southern area of Stuart/ Jupiter area and looking for any information on marinas in that area that would work with my annual schedule of 6months on the boat and 6 months stored and whether storing on land strapped down vs leaving in the slip is the way to go. I wish I did have everything figured out! I’m just not used to leaving a boat in the water here when north in Connecticut for the summer and fall.
  5. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

If you store on land for the summer, don't forget you have to have air conditioning running somehow. Portable units draining into sinks? It's not like up north where we can probably get away without A/C for the summer. The inside of your boat will be destroyed by mildew in Florida's summer.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Try calling Smith Merritt Insurance in Pompano Beach,FL. My customer with a 50' Post has used them for several years and is very happy with them. They specialize in Sportfish.

I agree on the A/C, you will need a/c if store on the hard in the summer here or the interior will be completely ruined in 2 months. Woodwork, upholstery and everything will be ruined by heat and mold.
  7. Dan balmer

Dan balmer Member

Thanks Capt J for lead on insurance. I’ve been having success in port canaveral area with leaving the boat on the hard thru those hot and humid months by setting up a dehumidifier in the engine room with the flip up stair entry to the engine room left open . The drain hose is routed to a thru hull. Two small fans left on low also keep things circulating. All drawers and compartment doors are left open. All ports are closed so that the air comes in the engine room air boxes. Anyway my sensitive drapes and other cotton stuff even my clothes bedding and everything is left and has and has fared well. Also my enclosure curtains are stored on the master bed and seem to last longer. Anyway maybe port canaveral is little less hot than further south. I did notice some wood seams open a bit from the drying out effect. I’m going to add a portable ac unit as well this year . Anyway that’s my story.
  8. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I've been using the Allan R. Mott agency for many years. They will take very good care of you, shop the market, explain any little detail and will get you what I find to be the best policies out there. They are in Huntington, NY