Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Walker

Post project boat

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Eroc, Jan 6, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

OK, Here are some more photos. On the flybridge, the main upgrades included a full refinish of all of the cabinet doors which are wood. We replaced the compass (center mount forward in the flybridge) and added new Ongaro control arms and knobs on the Morse controls. Amazingly enough, all the cushions had been stored below and were fine. Helm seats and pads were new, using the exiting pedestals. There was no canvas, only a bimini frame, so all that was new. The smoked plexi venturi windshield was cracked in half and cloudy. We removed it and had an exact duplicate fabricated by a local guy with a CAD machine. Even the screw holes lined up when we reinstalled.

Attached Files:

2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

This photo shows my teak windshield frames. The gelcoat came back after the third round of compound and wax. We probably should have just wet sanded it, but it ended up looking just fine. Since I had to remove the bow rails to properly refinish the teak toe rails, I replaced all of the totally shot chrome plated rail bases with stainless. Buck Algonquin was the original purveyor and they had exact replacements. The internet is a wonderful thing.

Attached Files:

3. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Back inside, the galley was in decent shape except for the butcher block Formica (ugh) and the old, rusty original refrigerator. Both got replaced. The refrigerator took some calculation to find a proper new unit to fit. The base of that refrigerator platform at the rear is right at a point in the hull where a spray step is molded in. Or out as the case may be. I found that by raising by about 2 1/2 inches the base platform where the refrig sits, the unit could be recessed back against the side of the hull by another 4 inches or so. This turned out to be VERY important in finding a new refrig that went in the hole.

Attached Files:

4. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

One of the toughest jobs on this refit was in getting the mold smell out of the interior. Remember, this boat was really in tough shape. She had been abandoned and closed up for years. The interior was a science project. By replacing all of the soft goods, carpet and wallcoverings, we thought we had it. No dice. We finally realized that all of the lockers and storage compartments on this boat (and there are a lot of them) had carpet in them as original equipment. Once that carpet was all removed and those areas treated with bleach, the mildew smell was finally gone. You really learn quickly how much storage is aboard a 42 Post when you start counting up to replace door and drawer hardware. If I recall, she took 43 drawer pulls to make a full replacement. I did this refit in 2003 and the "Tommy Bahama" look decor was very IN.

Attached Files:

5. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

"Off the rack" Flexsteel modular marine furniture fit perfectly in the salon. The original overhead lighting was a set of 4 metal frame square lights with milk glass panels and 110v bulbs on a dimmer. Not too slick. I had my CAD guy cut replacement panels in white dashboard material into which we recessed pairs of low voltage halogen surface mount spot lights. The space above those panels was plenty to house the small transformers to run each pair. A Philips flat panel TV fit perfectly in the space where the original antique TV had been. A BOSE 321 was added for music and DVD. Today, there are better entertainment choices.

Attached Files:

6. cptnpete

cptnpete New Member

These are great shots and terrific information SeaEric, thanks. Keep it coming.

Sounds like a sistership - abandoned for years. Basically toss everything that isn't wood or fiberglass or metal. I have been spraying a solution from Home Depot for house mold combined with bleach that is proving very effective. And yes I am astounded at the various places and volume of storage. If my wife throws me out I know where I am going to be living!

On your helm, as you go left to right below the lip where the ignition keys go, what was the function of those various switches? Mine are not well marked.

Also, the dial instruments - I am missing tachs, plus the two smaller ones on the lower right of the wheel, which I believe may have been ammeters since I have fuel levels, oil pressures, and water temp dials.

Thanks for the continuing inspiration - it helps crystallize the vision of her potential!
  7. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

She was powered by a pair of GM 671ti 450 HP diesels. Her performance was remarkable. The lack of a hardtop seemed to give her and extra knot. At 1600 RPM's she did 16 knots. At 1800, she did 18 knots. At 2100 she was doing 23 knots. My only ongoing engine issue was the cooling system. In Summer on the Chesapeake the bay water can get pretty warm. That J&T heat exchanger just didn't quite cut it. The remedy was to run straight water instead of an anti-freeze mix in the heat of the season. Believe me, we tried everything else first.

When I bought her, she only had about 400 hours on the engines. First thing we did was all new hoses, new seacocks, new impellers, cook the heat exchangers, add Air Seps, and detail and paint the engines. I'm a big guy, so to make it easier for me to move around in the engineroom (I don't go in there much anyway) we moved the battery boxes from between the engines to outboard of the engines. Then we put a nice polished diamond plate aluminum floor in. It looked great, but my knees have still not forgiven me. Note to self: Never again on the engineroom diamond plate!

This experience proved to me that Post built a very nice boat. It was well thought out and nicely executed. I would own another Post. I wish the new owners of Post all the best. It's a great name with a good history.

This is all of the photos of that project that I could find on my computer. That you all for your kind words.

Attached Files:

8. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

If I recall, those switches were running lights, anchor light and blower. Mine were all corroded and inoperable.

The 2 missing gauges could be where hour meters went.
  9. cptnpete

cptnpete New Member

Great, thanks again. She sure looks happy in that last shot.
  10. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

WOW.......
    now you can know the fruits of hard work

and to think you paid 2K for your Post that has some great potential.

please post pics of your progress
    good luck!

regards
    RT46
  11. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

gauges

Hi

Really nice work on the Aquadance.
    I think that boat is still around Kent Island.

CptnPete,

On my bridge console there were 10 gauges, 5 each side.
    RPM in the center
    Gear oil PSI
    Engine oil PSI
    Amp meters and temperatures

On the Starboard side beneath the console lip are the fuel gauges.

My hourmeters are located on the port side of the breaker panels which are hidden behind the steps to the sallon.
  12. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Thanks for your kind words. I have re-sold her twice since I did the refit and she's still in the neighborhood.
  13. cptnpete

cptnpete New Member

Thanks Chesapeake46. I guess there may be subtle differences in bridge layouts between boats and power configurations.

And thanks RT46. The key is to take it from a situation where the whole is less than the sum of its parts to the opposite relationship.
  14. Garrbo

Garrbo Member

Ive been contacted by Cptnpete the owner here and he's making me an offer, this may be exactly what the Dr ordered for me with replacing my sunken Egg, Im very exited,, hope its to be, Ive always had a crush on The Post 42, actually had a recked 40 for a time and still great friends with the old owner. really hoping this works out