Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service

Post project boat

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Eroc, Jan 6, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Eroc

Eroc Member

I just stumbled across the listing on Craigslist rhode island section.
    Figured I would share the info, the seller is asking $2000 I believe
  2. Eroc

Eroc Member

The boat is a 70's 42 with big blocks, the seller said that it will be parted out if not gone in a few weeks. It would be a shame to see it get destroyed
  3. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Did Post make FG hull and wood top?

add says boat is FG Hull and wood top.....

yes it would be a shame to cut that boat up.
  4. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Many of the early posts had wood houses, I think it was in mid to late 70's they turned to all glass. Somebody here may know the exact year. Many of those wooden houses have been glassed over with great success. Earlier posts had wooden hulls also, but glassing the hull, I have heard, has not produced a durable product.

When the wood gets punky it can be a very expensive proposition to restore an older Post. But they sure turn heads when a nice one pulls into a marina!
  5. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

If that boat is a true FG hull and not FG over wood it could be nice project, depending on the condition of the wood house.

I agree FG over wood is usually just a means to extend the life of a wood boat until it rots from the inside out. once that happens, it is usually the end.....
  6. Eroc

Eroc Member

One big draw back is gas engines. I thought the 42 was the first glass hull, I may be wrong though. It would make a nice project for some one that has the time and funds.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Heck, if that's the case, just cut the house off of it completely and make a nice SF express out of her.......Easier to rip the engines out and possibly put diesels.......
  8. cptnpete

cptnpete New Member

What was I thinking?

I'm the dope who adopted this old beauty. A "75. Beautiful glass hull in great shape. Glass over wood house that needs some attention. Glass flybridge but with wood panels that needs some attention. Glass over wood deck with some soft spots that will need attention. Running gear looks good. Missing some engine instruments (tachs) and throttle and shift control pieces on bridge. No electronics.

Engines are 502 Merlins - Big Block Chevy gas. She was repowered in about 2003 and engines have about 150 hours on them. Don't know if they work yet, but they sure look like newer engines. And if nothing else, parts are readily available.

Kohler 7.5KW Generator looks like a rusty old original that is unlikely to work without some major effort.

She was abandoned and has sat for years (there was food and drink left on board, including a very old jug of milk in the fridge!). At some point rain/snow water got in a few inches above floor boards below so things like A/C and parquet flooring are damaged. De-molding has been ongoing. I have gotten to know the dumpster well.

No flybridge ladder. No holding tank. Teak cockpit needs those floor hatches replaced (missing), plus some boards where a fighting chair was ripped out.

Have been a sailor but recently son and I have taken on a few smaller boats with similar histories of abandonment and unknown engine working and have brought them back to life. But this is a much bigger project than we are used to. Let's just say my wife is not thrilled. And Junior would rather be hanging with his college buddies than work on this with dear old dad.

Oh well, she has great bones, potentially decent engines for how we would likely use in the near term. And the need for lots of love, much of which we think we can give.

We do have a lot to learn, like what the story is on the fuel tanks in terms of how the fuel gets to both engines from one vs. the other tank, how to best manage 12V vs 120V since we are going to use her on a mooring and haven't been big fans of generators (not that we have ever used one only moored near boats that do), how to operate it and all sorts of things. I may be back with questions for folks on what is what as time goes on.

Our immediate challenge is cleanup, get engines going, make sure clean fuel is flowing, seal up any water infiltration from deck, cockpit, and cabin, make sure holes in bottom like thru hulls can be closed off (i.e. keep the ocean out of the boat), get hydraulic steering working reliably, get short term power needs met, ensure water system operating, determine a head solution for shore and long term, and then address longer term structural, cosmetic, electrical and comfort needs.

I should probably rename her Pandora. And/or maybe get used to being called sucker...

We'll see. She needed a home and we decided to give her one. And for what I paid, hey I can turn it into a big center console if I want!
  9. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Congratulations on the boat.

Good luck with the re-fit.
    Maybe you could post some pictures.
  10. cptnpete

cptnpete New Member

Thanks, I have attached some pics. If you look closely at the one of the boat, my wife is standing there saying "what the ___!!".

Attached Files:

11. chesapeake46

Hi,
    Wow.

The back deck does seem to need a little work...

Any interest in putting a fighting chair back on the rear deck again ?

Is that an Ozone generator in the galley ?
    Your gonna need a bigger one if it is.......

I see some of the riggers still on the house.
    Are you going to put the riggers back on, assuming you've got them......

Still from the picture, the hull looks pretty good.
    I'd like to get your updates on progress.
  12. cptnpete

cptnpete New Member

Ha! Yes that's an ozone maker. We are pretty good at clean up. And she sure needs it.

If we keep her we will mostly use her for cruising so I dont have any plans at this point for a fighting chair. I am one of those rag baggers at heart. She does have those long thingies that go into those shiny, hefty metal bases - I am learning they are called outriggers ha ha. Unless Junior has some plans I dont know about (and he can pay for the fuel), I doubt they will get much action beyond looking cool.

The hull and bottom are in terrific shape, as is running gear. And engines look like they have lots of life left in them, in spite of being gassers.

Saving this baby is a bit like triage - we need to be sure we close up the cuts, get her heart pumping again, save or trransplant as much of the brain and other organs as we can, and then work on cosmetic surgery to get her back as good as we can to new.

Thanks for your continuing interest. I will certainly update as we make progress. Of all the sportfishing boats that have caught my eye over the years, Posts are at the top of the list. They are beautiful boats.
  13. chesapeake46

I agree that they are pretty boats.
    My Dad always loved a Post although he never owned one.
    When I bought one years ago, he was overwhelmed when he saw it.
    He said, " THAT boat commands respect !"
    In his mind they were the best to had around here.

He is gone now but I was grateful that he lived long enough to cruise around the bay with me some.

Good luck.
  14. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Give the condition of that aft deck - You may want to take a VERY close look at the fuel tank that's back there.
  15. cptnpete

cptnpete New Member

Chesapeake46 - Great story and thanks.

SeaEric - You bet. Great advice. I am getting pretty good at crawling around under there. By the time I am done I should really know this boat!
  16. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Wow, great boat and good luck with the project
    , please keep the pics comming.

RE your power requirements:
    depending on what your needs are, you may be able to get by with an inverter and battery bank, but the best system is a combo of inverter and generator along with alternators on the mains....

good luck, keep us posted.
  17. cptnpete

cptnpete New Member

Thanks RT46. You are probably right. We will try to bring the old Kohler back to life, but at the same time I am keeping my eye out for a used gas generator (just saw a local used diesel and thought huh maybe use one tank for diesel and one for the gas engines, but that is too easy to mess up...). One thing at a time.

Some more pics attached. I think prior owner liked budweiser.

Attached Files:

18. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Brave man!!!

I think considering your wife said "what the _____" be happy with that, mine would NOT have said a thing ..........as the door shut behind her!
    Luckily mine loves my old Hatt, but I work hard to keep it that way:D
  19. cptnpete

cptnpete New Member

Ha ha! I dont think brave is the right word! But her name helped convince me to go for it.

As far as my wife goes - those were the last words she has spoken to me since! I have a lot to do to make her a believer on this one.
  20. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

There's always the Budwieser, which is what probably happened to the previous owner!