Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

Possible explanations of 10 psi loss of oil pressure at cruise

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by motoryachtlover, Jun 27, 2020.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Thank you so much for the explanation. I was trying to wrap my head around his issue and understand the culprit, but I was stuck on that sender versus what I know of, well, Murphy Switches. That micro tube or capillary set up is my experience, a lengthy one on a wide variety of engines.
  2. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Sorry I am late to get back to you all. I have photos of the engine room gauges at 1000 RPMs and temp of 170 and the oil pressure on the port is a little over 50 and the starboard a little under 50 (mechanical gauges) I don’t have pictures of idle. The viscosity is 15W40.
  3. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Viscosity is fine, and also 50 psi at 1000 rpm is plenty.
    For your future reference, at idle even a bit less than 30 psi would still be fine.
    You do have a surprisingly high pressure at 2k rpm, but better than the opposite, anyway! :)
  4. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Consider swapping gauges between engines, see if the issue follows the gauge? Repeat with senders?
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

In reality, 70 psi at cruise is a NON issue or really anything over 40 psi at 2000 rpms.......I just delivered a yacht with the same engines and at cruise it only made 50-60psi.....
  6. Soulstice

Soulstice Member

I have similar pressures on my MAN’s with about 45 psi at cruise and running 15W40. I wouldn’t worry too much about the pressure you are running at as it sounds pretty normal.
  7. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Thanks to all that commented. Much appreciated