Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning

Portside water tank in 1987 46' post

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Tommy Rice, Feb 5, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Tommy Rice

Tommy Rice Member

Capt J I have been in this business for over 40 years and did the research with several different sources and the Polyethylene tanks built with the low low density molecules Holds up just fine only if the baffles
    are built into the tanks and they are not exposed to direct sunlight. The tanks are 30 years old and in remarkable shape. The small crack that formed on the lower midsection of the tank was routed out with a
    dremel tool and the welding went very well with a test of 2 days full of water and no sign of any stress on the weld. Also I just sold the boat for half again what I paid for it and the new owner was the one to make the decision. If I had more time to wait on the new tanks to be built I probably would have done just that, but @ 2 grand a day for the short spring and summer season we have it didn't make sense. After 47 years in the
    charter fishing business my obligation to the new owner will be over in mid september and my wife and I are looking forward to my newest vessel a 40 ft sailboat and a leisure cruise to wherever we decide to go and however long we decide to stay. But thanks for the advice capt. I have read a lot of your post and I take your advice very seriously. By the way I have done things the hard way all my life and I like it!!
  2. bamp

bamp New Member

3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

???

Good luck with your repair Tommy. Sometimes it does work and lasts a long time. However, if the 30 year old plastic tank has held up fine, it would not have cracked in the middle of the tank in the first place.
  4. bamp

bamp New Member

Hi guys just reading the posts on leaking water tanks. I have a 1980 42 with 671tis with leaking starboard side tank. The boat has 2 tanks each side. Was wondering if any one has removed them through the eng room. Looks like would have to remove air filter on turbo battery and some cables and hold some wires out of the way but they might just . I don't want to cut the deck and rear fish tank compartments look to be to small , about 2 1/2 ft square . Thanks guys in advance BAMP
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I remember reading on here, someone posted that they will come out that way and that is how they changed theirs. I forgot who.
  6. baltimore bob

baltimore bob Member

I just pulled mine out of the cockpit....but I had the sole cut up to replace the fuel tank. I think they probably would need to be pulled over the transmissions kind of diagonally to the center of the engine room. Although I think they would slide up the outboard side of the engines, you could not pull them straight up and there is not enough room to turn the corner.
  7. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Mine is 1980, 46. I had only two tanks, 80 gallons each, one on each side.
    I don't have the dimensions.
    I pulled them out the way you described. I could not find replacement tanks of the same size and I replaced them with bladder tanks.
    I could only get 40 gallon bladders to fit in the same foot print.
    It's an OK replacement but if you anchor out a lot with no water maker, you will probably want the plastics for more capacity.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

A friend of mine with an old Viking (34ish) cut his old water tanks out and installed side-by-side- 3 Roto-Cast plastic tanks.
    Mounted outside the main engines.
    3208T and he just removed the exhaust hose to slide in the smaller tanks. Bottom connects and common vent on the tops.
    More work cutting out the old alloy tank with a saws-all.
    He did not loose to much capacity at the new tanks were a bit taller.
  9. Boomer

Boomer Senior Member

A boat I was looking at had a Haier washer and dryer in it
  10. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Hey I would like to jump in on the Sanyo washer. I need parts(which I cannot find, like the sump pump) but if you know of a replacement that will fit please post it.
    Thanks. My water tanks are under the lazzerette and are 27yrs old and still workin' good.
  11. mfan46

mfan46 Member

Good morning Davidoc I thought my Sanyo pump was bad but when I took it apart it was just stuck from not enough use & with lint.
  12. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Yeah thanks mfan46. I have done that three times over the years and then it suck again in the middle of a trip to the Islands. I was just going to replace it but can't find it anywhere. Maybe I can pull it and find something else to replace it with.