Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Delta Click for Burger

Porsche Design

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by JohnS, Apr 6, 2005.

1. JohnS

JohnS Member

Does anyone know anything about Porsche Design sports boats?

I remember seeing an advertisment in Boat International in January 2005 or February 2005.

I have searched on the internet and in some forums and have uncovered nothing!

Am i imagining things?? I will try and look through all my old copies of Boat International and find the advert!

I am sure they offered a "free" Cayenne on the purchase of one, a "free" 911 on another etc....

Regards

JohnS

P.S. Please someone tell me if i am mistaken and save me some embarrassment!
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You are right, but it was in the March issue. www.pdyachts.com ...
    A little strange though...? It does not look like the real Porsche Design except for the old prototype for sale...?
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  3. JohnS

JohnS Member

Additionally, when i looked at the website a little while ago - it said that the url was not recognised... so i thought it was a spoof...

Well there is a site there now - and i will keep it monitored.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens!

Regards

John
  4. JohnS

JohnS Member

Just received the following information from PD Yachts

Speedster

$175,000 w/Mercury Power $200,000 w/Porsche Marine Power

Available August 2005

Reserve Now

UNQUOTE

and a few images (i hope i am allowed to post them - some are on the website in any case)

Attached Files:

• rear.jpg
      rear.jpg
      File size:
      29.6 KB
      Views:
    • Side.jpg
      Side.jpg
      File size:
      7.8 KB
      Views:
    • tipped.jpg
      tipped.jpg
      File size:
      10.7 KB
      Views:
    • top.jpg
      top.jpg
      File size:
      12.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

It says "designed-engineered-styled by Porsche" so it is probably not by the original Porsche Design company and they have no such info on their website.

At the Porsche car website there is nothing on a boat. So this must be something different, advertising without address and say they are "giving away" Porsche Cars with purchase....

Porsche Design in Zell am See made the 27´boat Kineo back in 1985, in a handful prototypes with V8:s from the Porsche 928.

It is one of these boats this new company is advertising for sale. The other are just renderings as the Speedster you got.

Here is the original Kineo;

Attached Files:

6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

It's an attractive boat and certainly hints at Porsche design elements, but as Lars eluded to on a previous thread... engaging reverse will make an instant submarine out of it. Again, very sharp styling... but the short, needlenose bow will likely produce a wet ride while running into a quartering sea with wind.

Add a silver Cayenne as a tow vehicle and you've got a real head-turner. :cool:
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes Carl, I didn´t want to repeat myself on the reverse issue... :rolleyes:
    My thoughts were also to put it in front of the garage rather than into the sea... :cool:
  8. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

I found a "Yacht " from Porsche

Here it is.
    And not too expensive only 249 € thats a bargain for a Ship like this.

Attached Files:

9. William lll

William lll New Member

The 27' Porsche...

Was built & rigged by Tempest Marine in North Miami Beach on 188th Street in 1985-86. They were a (another) take off of the 27' Magnum hull, via the Signature 27' mold. Porsche designed the deck & were only available in silver metallic. Only a couple, I believe, were ever manufactured. They were powered by the the all-aluminum Porsche 928 engine w/Tempest surface drives. An entertaining & very knowledgable British chap by the name of Mike Nicholson(who now lives in Canada) engineered the marinization of the engine & drive system. Or should I say tried to. If you would like a more detailed synopsis of this past creation, you can contact Mike at his now famous, "GeoGraphics Motorsports" offshore powerboat painting & design studio in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. His website and address is: www.coolgrafix.net I'm sure I have forgotten a few details over the years. William lll ;)
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  10. yachtmaster1012

yachtmaster1012 New Member

i have found an interesting link about the kineo:
    Porsche Powerboat Kineo
    For Sale: Complete project including all copyrights, design,
    related drawings, production documents, body moulds…etc

so i can't imagine that someone is selling "officially"a kineo??
  11. superyachtie

superyachtie New Member

I remember seeing that advert too! the website no longer works though! But I thought the boats in the advert were a lot bigger 70ft or so does anyone else remember that?
  12. WestAust

WestAust New Member

13. andymullen

andymullen New Member

Porsche

I don't know about you, but as far as I'm concerned. Porsche build cars & sunglasses. Go for a Riva aquarama if you want a top of the range speedboat. Or Rive sunglasses. They might even throw in a Riva car! :rolleyes:
  14. JonS

JonS Senior Member

The interior on that thing is disgusting!
  15. dogsharks

dogsharks Guest

It appears to be powered by the 928 S4 motor, as the intake and air filter assy, along with the cam covers all look identical to the S4. It could be the Cayenne motor, which is built along similar technology, but uses siamese cylinder walls to become more compact. Both use the silicon aluminum cylinder bores, which make them almost totally wear resistant. Great engines! I drive one to work every day.

The boat, however, is an enigma. It's not the first time Porsche strayed outside of what they do best. A designer thinks he/she can design anything, and they certainly can "style" anything. However, boat design is something that should not be "stylized" witout paying the dues for the engineering and functional design too. This boat is highly stylized, an in that regard will he a head turner, but I'd rather have a Donzi, Riva, or Fountain than a poseur any day. While this one will "look good", I seriously doubt if it will run with the Donzi, Fountain, or even a Riva when it comes time to stop looking pretty and get out in the salt and do the deed.

Dogsharks

Attached Files:

16. dogsharks

dogsharks Guest

Porsche Design is a design studio owned and operated by the same Porsche Automobile Company who builds the great road cars. They style things like sun glasses and coffee makers (for Bosch), etc. The engineering arm of this company provides consulting for companies such as Volvo, back when Volvo ventured into the 4-valve cylinder head (back in the mid 80's when they first produced their 740 16v motor).

Interesting to see they're doing boats too. Also interesting to know that even though they sell their engineering talent to others, they have their Cayenne transmissions built in Japan by Aisian. They're good transmissions, I understand, except for the fact that nobody in the US or UK or anywhere else is able to work on them, and if you have a problem you have to exchange the unit for one sent in by the factory. Ouch!

To answer the gentleman's question, is this the same company as the auto manufacturer, the answer is "yes" (it is their design studio).

Regards, Dogsharks
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Dogsharks and welcome to the Forums!

Most on this is already said earlier in this thread, but to make it clear. The Porsche Design Group is divided in three branches and the Porsche Design Studio in Zell am See is responsible for consumer products such as coffemakers and also this 27' boat. This was made already in 1985-87, based on a Magnum 27 hull, so I shouldn´t be afraid of challenging other boats of the same size.

The rendered boat in the beginning of this thread however, (Porsche design or not?), I would rather keep on the trailer...
  18. orion

orion Senior Member

19. orion

orion Senior Member