Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander

Politically Incorrect...

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by YachtForums, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

To our members, readers and lurkers alike...

It is with uncertainty and unresolve that I removed a thread that became a classic example of WHY most forums discourage political or religious topics. Obviously we are all passionate people, otherwise none of us would take time to share our knowledge and experience with others. It is imparative that we stay the course of YF's focus. If we dilute it with off topic banter that shows some otherwise highly respected people as being strongly (or wrongly) opinionated, then you will succeed in tearing down the foundation of a very fine forum. Much like a relationship built over years, it can be dismantled in minutes with the wrong words.

Please... be kind to yourself and others. While there are too many things wrong in the world, the one thing that is right is a special place we can all come together and share a common interest. We are all friends here. And many of you are personal friends. I'd like to keep it that way.
  2. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I for one say, "Thanks for removing it". Allowing political debate to go on unchecked in a non-political forum just brings the forum down and discourages new members and can alienate old ones.
  3. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Bravo Carl! There are plenty of places on the net for political rant. YF should not be one of them, IMO.
  4. FutureYachter

FutureYachter Member

Thanks Carl! There are several threads that I stopped reading as they became political. Once the two sides start shouting what I can hear on TV (and know to not be true), I just tune out. I follow politics pretty passionately. It just isn't the reason I come to YF.
  5. GFC

GFC Senior Member

Dang, I always miss the good ones!

Just kidding. I like this because it usually stays on the high road. Occasionally even I've taken a dip down from the high road, but I usually get spanked for it and that's OK.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I was just on another forum in a discussion about ways to jumpstart boat sales, and the discussion got a bit side tracked almost to the point of hijack. But it turned out that the side track ended up leading to some excellent ideas. So some meandering is not always a bad thing. However, I'll admit to being an offender here, because when I see political propaganda slid in I can't let it go unchallenged. That's just my nature. I fight for the underdog, always have. But despite being one that rarely backs down from a fight I would love to see a rule that any mention of a politician's name, a political party's name or any sidetrack leading to political views gets the post immediately pulled or the thread closed. I came to YF to promote boating, and to bring more discussion of the type of yacht that I and most people deal with on a day to day, and the problems we face. I also came here to help people in my field (at this stage in life my battles are for others. My day is almost past). But mainly I came to learn from the experts in the field, because much of what starts out on the megayachts eventually gets down to the under 100' boats to one degree or another.
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Perhaps this is the right place for this one...:)

Ten years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Today we have no jobs, no hope and no cash.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Aint that the truth!
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

This thread has been stripped and closed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.